Lt. Commander
# 71
08-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Where do we ask the questions we have about STO?
Lt. Commander
# 72
08-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkOrion69 View Post
If you are looking for role playing in an MMO...take it from a veteran of actual role playing (PnP RPG's/Theater)...it is as rare as an Omega Particle The majority of MMO fans just want to compete with each other in some fashion or casually socialize. Role players are (sadly) a vocal, but seldom serviced subset of the MMO community. Maybe someday we will have an MMO that satisfies our desire for role playing , but I think it would not attract a very large audience.
Well said...BUT.....that is my whole arguement here. This IS supposed to be that MMO. This IS supposed to be the one that sets a new standard. And I think if the proper time was taken to do these NEW things, to cross these boundries and go to these frontiers (that sounds great rtight?) then they would definitly pull the audience and then some. I believe that was the goal of Matrix Online, but.....it fell far short. And without something new to draw that audience, well....it won't survive. Noone is asking for a complicated interface and it stands to reason that there can and will be some great expansions. WoW did have the benefit of Word of mouth to help it's expansion. But Star Trek has always been labeled and if it's going to break that stigma.....you gotta do more than the next generation fighting game in space.

I think I've gotten a little off topic. And I am going to cut these guys some slack. I do plan on buying the game and I'm sure I will enjoy it. I just plan on giving them hell every step of the way. ; )
Lt. Commander
# 73
08-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSkin View Post
Well said...BUT.....that is my whole arguement here. This IS supposed to be that MMO. This IS supposed to be the one that sets a new standard. And I think if the proper time was taken to do these NEW things, to cross these boundries and go to these frontiers (that sounds great rtight?) then they would definitly pull the audience and then some. I believe that was the goal of Matrix Online, but.....it fell far short. And without something new to draw that audience, well....it won't survive. Noone is asking for a complicated interface and it stands to reason that there can and will be some great expansions. WoW did have the benefit of Word of mouth to help it's expansion. But Star Trek has always been labeled and if it's going to break that stigma.....you gotta do more than the next generation fighting game in space.

I think I've gotten a little off topic. And I am going to cut these guys some slack. I do plan on buying the game and I'm sure I will enjoy it. I just plan on giving them hell every step of the way. ; )
That is easy to say when it is not your money, time, or job on the line.

They do seem to be doing the best they can to work with what has worked in the past while trying to be innovative at the same time. One of the complaints I always had about other mmo games was that if I got on when sometimes there is noone to play with. Either early at night, or during school hours or whatever. So I hope their reliance on this BO system will be a step forward. If you do manage to get a group you can replace the pets with people, otherwise you can still take on challenges with a 'team', just not as bright or innovative as a actual person.

RPG is a broad spectrum. I do not plan to put on a uniform each time I play on the computer. But I do plan to enjoy an engaging universe that feels and looks alive. I hope I don't run across to many 733t speakers, but I also don't want to be mired in trekkie debate. This is a childhood memory for me don't get me wrong, but I hope the ultimate experience I walk away from with this GAME is having been part of a great story and had fun doing it.
Lt. Commander
# 74
08-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Well that is a plus.
thought the same thing
Lt. Commander
# 75
08-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I think one thing we really want to know (among others) is why they're focusing on combat so much and so strongly, when combat occupied only a fraction of the action on-screen. And when it did occur, it was considered a failure; every other option was preferable if available. Yet all we've heard from the team, aside from being able to "pimp my starship", is combat combat shoot shoot kill kill.

They've said they don't want this to be just an MMO with a Star Trek skin, but that's sure what it looks like right now. WoW with phasers.

Powers &8^]
Lt. Commander
# 76
08-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers
I think one thing we really want to know (among others) is why they're focusing on combat so much and so strongly, when combat occupied only a fraction of the action on-screen. And when it did occur, it was considered a failure; every other option was preferable if available. Yet all we've heard from the team, aside from being able to "pimp my starship", is combat combat shoot shoot kill kill.

They've said they don't want this to be just an MMO with a Star Trek skin, but that's sure what it looks like right now. WoW with phasers.

Powers &8^]
I agree with Powers, I would like to hear more from Cryptic about the story and 'episode' structure.
Lt. Commander
# 77
08-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
i second that! that's all the reason why i do annoy here on sto forums
Lt. Commander
# 78
08-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Some intersting tidbits on the kits. I know id like to know more about the kits sometime soon, just to see exactly what were looking at.
Lt. Commander
# 79 various questions
08-14-2009, 02:21 AM
I have a list of various MMO type questions that I have not seen addressed yet in the Ask Cryptic posts....

I played Everquest (which had a massive, dynamic market economy) and Guildwars (which has practically no economy)... Will STO have an equivalent of a bazaar? Will player based supply and demand run the market?

Will I be able to manufacture goods that can be sold on the market?

Also... What kind of "drops" will we be able to get? Will my captain be able to acquire a powerful phaser or weapon, tricorder (or equivalent), nifty gadgets, kits or whatnot from "named bosses" for example? Will I be able to acquire unique ship upgrades by defeating certain "named ship bosses"? I know its not very "star trek", but it is very MMO.

How much can we customize our character and ship equipment? If I get, say, some thousand-year-old mythic batleth from a "named klingon boss", will it look different than a regular batleth? Part of the point of playing a game online is to show off your bad-assery and your arsenal of unique and powerful items that make other players drool.

We acquire ships as we gain rank.... Do we get to keep our old ships as we upgrade to newer and more powerful ships? Can my captain have a fleet of ships that he can choose to fly on a mission-by-mission basis?

Will we be able to "farm" or "mine" planets for unique resources, say Dilithium crystals, tritium, latinum, advanced biological molecules (drugs/medicine), nanobots, etc? Will there be any interesting plant or animal life that could be harvested (as pets, like tribbles, or as decorative and highly sought-after table centerpieces, like a man-sized venus fly trap from Omega Draconis 3?)

How about jetpacks / antigravity backpacks?

How about ground vehicles? Or are we going to have to walk around all over the planet surface?

When I find a planet that I like for whatever reason, say it has a useful resource that I can harvest (whether the local primitive population, minerals, or the native flora and fauna), will I be able to keep this planet to myself, or does it go into a database that others can then go and visit? Will I be able to form a team of other players that I can take to my "secret planet'?

Dyson spheres? Ringworlds? Space Elevators?
Lt. Commander
# 80 loading screens and planets
08-14-2009, 05:34 AM
will you get away with loading screens to make gameplay more continual - for ie The Spore has this feature and it made traveling more smooth?

Will i be able to beam down to new discovered planet and just walk and walk and then probably come back to it and keep? Can i share this new planet with others?