# 81
08-14-2009, 08:12 AM
nice info in this, much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 82 A Few Simple Questions
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
My questions...

Obviously, four members of the away team are used, but

1.) How many officers do we have (a) at start of game and (b) through the life of the game to choose who goes on an away mission?

2.) What ranks do they start at and how many different ranks do they fill?

3.) Will bridge officers go through the same talent life cycle as a captain, or do they already have "assigned roles" they can fill at selection/addition?

4.) Will some betrayal system be implemented that allows say an Orion or Klingon or Romulan to serve Starfleet, or vice versa?

5.) Can players eventually play some bounty hunter or smuggler role ingame?
Lt. Commander
# 83
08-14-2009, 01:04 PM
I have a few questions:

1.- How do you change the "kit" you use?. Do you need to go back to starbase or can just select a kit / kitset before beaming down to the planet from your ship?

2.- Does any kit item need recharge? For example, you have 20 healing packs, and you need to go back to starbase to buy some more when you run ou of them.

3.- Our team always has 5 people (other players or pets). For the bigger battles, do we get a "raid group" formed of various "normal" groups or we need to orginize ourselves as we can without in-game help?

4.- When a player lloses a battle ... do we die or are we rescued by our ship in the last moment (then we need to do it all again, etc) ... Or maybe one of the career paths gives you the ability to emergency beam up (possibly with a reload timer)?

5.- Can different species have different abilities in ground combat? For example, a vulcan can do a vulcan nerve pinch.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 84
08-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Can't wait to do some ground combat and PVP. I'll assimilate everyone I can see and make my own collective team
Lt. Commander
# 85 So...?
09-03-2009, 10:56 AM
So...
What kind of guns do we get?
Can you change the power setting on these guns (e.g stun)?
Is the damage realistic, so if i shoot someone they die like in the series' or films?
In an area where PvP can happen without ur permission, and your killed in space/planetside what happens to you?
Can you board other Players ships, peacefully?
Can you board other players ships, aggressively?
Am i correct in thinking you cant have a first person view of the bridge flying the ship (e.g Bridge Commander style)?
YOU CANT EVEN EXPLORE YOUR OWN SHIP?!
How many ships can one person own at a time?
If more than one, do they have NPC captains? Can these captains be different skills, like tactical engineering, etc?
Can a Player stay permanently on your ship? Coop bridge work? One person in ship, one beam across/down and shoot?
When you, the Captain are on an away mission and meet someone, if that enemy ship is in orbit, do they attack each other?
You beam down- Enemy Player sees vacant ship. What happens next?
Can say a Federation Member have a Klingon ship?
Lets say i Choose Vulcan as a race, I fly Vulcan Ships?
Can you do Vulcan Neck Pinch (PLEASE SAY YES)?
I like the different tricorters bit- can you train to be a Doctor? And the heal other players? And then heal your own NPCs? Even the Red Shirts?
If you cant explore your own ship, if you or an NPC is injured on ur ship, does this mean THEY CANT EVEN GO TO SICKBAY?!
How do i talk to other players? Is there a range? a General chat? Specific hails? Voice?
What is this i hear about a console version?? Last time i checked it was PC only?! Will it be like Champions Online where PC and Xbox can be together?

RAR. I've had my rant for now. If i have ranted in the wrong place i apologise, i will correct the issue if you explain. Would appreciate reply, by anyone who knows anything.
P.S Emeergancy beam out (with a timer) should be able to be done in a battle, unless the enemy sciencey ship or a sciency peice of equipment is brought down that stops you. That should be a skill. I mean Jesus Chrsit, its Star Trek, you cant get rid of the ability to teleport...
Lt. Commander
# 86
09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VengefulTick View Post
With this I agree. I remember a few times during different episodes...

I guess the hard core PvP guys would throw an absolute fit about it though, I mean...god forbid if their "win" complex isn't satisfied.
To hell with PVP, thats traditional MMO PVP, this is Startrek, and they have theyre own brand of PVP, which includes emergency beam outs.

There should be such a thing as mid planet side skirmish beam outs, if they want to fight, then they can just give chase on theyre own starship.

In fact, beam out, and do a orbital phase torpedo blast on those *******s!

That's Star Trek.

In fact there a ton of cases where a ton of varied races uses beaming technology to that advantage.

If the shields are up of course they can't beam out, but they find a way to disable it either through technological capacity or jerry rigging something to disable shields temporarily enough to beam in and out.

tons of times where in mid fight a crew member got beamed out of trouble like that.

That Jack emmert said in the Las Vegas Interview that this wouldnt be PVP based, it looks like that you're prioritzing the PVP crowd more than staying true to the Canon of StarTrek Battle strategies.

Lame, i think this game is going to tarnish the star trek IP if this PVP favoritism keeps up.
Lt. Commander
# 87
09-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneulemen View Post
To hell with PVP (...)
I think Cryptic and all of the Klingons here would call that flame bait.
Lt. Commander
# 88
09-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M34Life View Post
If you want to play a game that you can beat, go play something like Fallout 3. I look forward to playing the game for a long time before I try to beat it.
I think you're playing it wrong. The best part of Fallout 3 is the open-ended gameplay - just running around D.C. and environs finding new locations and clearing out baddies. Yes, if you walk into it with a linear attitude you'll get done with it quick, but then you get to go back and take your time exploring.

Which is exactly what I would imagine a Trek MMO would be... exploration. Ridiculously huge numbers of explorable planets to discover. 5 year missions.

PvP in the Trek universe just seems so wrong. Specifically mass Player Versus Player combat is wrong. PvP intrigue should be high on the list of to-do - as non-combat as possible. Sneak onboard an enemy ship, disable the warp engines, steal the embassador's computer, and beam out to your cloaked ship. Combat as the last resort.
Lt. Commander
# 89
09-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneulemen View Post

That Jack emmert said in the Las Vegas Interview that this wouldnt be PVP based, it looks like that you're prioritzing the PVP crowd more than staying true to the Canon of StarTrek Battle strategies.

Lame, i think this game is going to tarnish the star trek IP if this PVP favoritism keeps up.
I completely agree, but is this in the 'idea stage' or have they actually gone ahead and done it without reading anything like this?
Lt. Commander
# 90
09-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Way too much FUD here.

Cryptic wants to balance PvP and PvE as much as possible so that anyone from the casual to hardcore gamer can have fun in STO. Do you really think they want to exclude potential customers?

Fact: there will be PvP in designated areas between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.

Fact: there will be plenty of PvE for each faction that will be protected from open PvP.

Anything beyond that in regards to how much PvP or PvE there might be is just speculation for now.