Lt. Commander
# 31
08-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Will we be able to roam inside our own ships and interact with the crew in places like Ten Forward or a holodeck?
Lt. Commander
# 32
08-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Yay! Can't wait The dev chats are always nice and informative. Although I haven't thought of any questions yet (damn solid AC) I'm hopeful that Cryptic will be poised to answer some of the more enlightening questions.
Lt. Commander
# 33
08-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
I'm going to say probably not since they have to schedule it when they are working. Coming to this forum may be your hobby, but programming this game is their job. What would you have them do? Come into the office at 8pm their time so that you can hear them? When was the last time you went into work at 9pm or 3am or something like that?

Yeah, they're not going to either. You really need to get some perspective before getting upset at them.

Besides, a transcript of this will be available shortly afterward. They always are.
Well excuse me! But if they want peoples hard earned dollars then YES....they can come in on a weekend to hold a CHAT! It's not the time, duh, I understand fans are spread out all over the world. It still stands though that a majority of the hard working people who are going to pay them good money for the fruits of their hard labor, still have a weekend off to look forward to when they can jump on a computer freely and join in chat with people acrossed the world, be it 4 in the morning or 10 at night. It's called maximum participation and your not going to get it on a weekday, therefore is it fully worth the time it will take them to do this?

P.S. Don't ask when the last time I worked at those times was because it probably would drive you into the ground and I am not asking the team to do anything of the sort.
Lt. Commander
# 34
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I was a little puzzled by this:

Quote:
(The different Kits make different skills available, so you’ll be able to choose how you want to play your character from the very beginning.)
This seems similar to the way it's said that SOE's The Agency will allow players to choose their character's role (and capabilities) dynamically based on which outfit their character puts on. (Hero's Journey from Simutronics was rumored to be considering something similar.) I'm not entirely sure how "Trek" it'll seem, but I'm open to the possibility that it might work Just Fine for this game.

It does make me wonder, though: Does it imply that kits provide all of the defining capabilities of our characters?

Suppose I choose to play a character who goes into the Engineering branch of Starfleet. That means I get a Shield Generator kit and a Weapons Malfunction kit in my (currently) two kit slots when I start the game, and thus that my character "knows" and can use whatever skills are currently associated with my Shield Generator and Weapons Malfunction kits.

Do those two kits define all of my character's skills? Or are there skills unique to the Engineering (or other) branch -- or general skills available to any character -- that my character can permanently learn in addition to whatever abilities are conferred by kits?

Thanks for considering this question.

(Oh, one other thing: a Weapons "MAL"-function kit? Not a Weapons Function Kit that confers abilities to modify/enhance weapons? Please tell me that a "malfunction" kit doesn't imply some kind of magical ranged "debuff" skills...!)

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 35 Audio Communications
08-12-2009, 01:17 AM
What kind of audio communications can we expect? In relation to others within our character's perimiter or just who we are personally networked to?
Signed,
The worries of a slow typer.
Lt. Commander
# 36
08-12-2009, 04:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSkin View Post
Well excuse me! But if they want peoples hard earned dollars then YES....they can come in on a weekend to hold a CHAT! It's not the time, duh, I understand fans are spread out all over the world. It still stands though that a majority of the hard working people who are going to pay them good money for the fruits of their hard labor, still have a weekend off to look forward to when they can jump on a computer freely and join in chat with people acrossed the world, be it 4 in the morning or 10 at night. It's called maximum participation and your not going to get it on a weekday, therefore is it fully worth the time it will take them to do this?
I believe that they've shown that they're not going to do that. To date all of their discussions, interviews and IRC chats have been during their work time in their time zone.

Besides as I said, you can always listen to the recording or read the transcript later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSkin View Post
P.S. Don't ask when the last time I worked at those times was because it probably would drive you into the ground and I am not asking the team to do anything of the sort.
Well yes, that's exactly what you were asking. You were asking them to do this during a time outside of their normal work hours.
Lt. Commander
# 37
08-12-2009, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Aran
Will we be able to roam inside our own ships and interact with the crew in places like Ten Forward or a holodeck?
This is probably the single biggest question I want answering. I could happily spend hours travelling between star systems for missions if I could walk around my ship, interact with NPC (or even better - other players) crew and even carry out entire story arcs right there on the ship. Pleeeeasee!
Lt. Commander
# 38
08-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Here's a little additional information about connecting to the Star Trek Online chat channel in IRC.

If you download an IRC client to a mobile device (like I did last night), when that client asks for a server name the text you need to enter is "irc.coldfront.net".

Clearly stating the specific IRC server name in the announcement for the Dev Chat would have saved me several minutes of rooting around for that info. (hint, hint )

Hope this helps someone!

--Flatfingers
Lt. Commander
# 39
08-12-2009, 08:51 AM
I love the theory of race bonuses in the way you described. But will Cryptic give humans their own strengths and weaknesses, or will humans get the "well rounded" role which most games seem to do?
Lt. Commander
# 40 Server
08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Hi,

i am Martin from Germany and my Question is:

Will there be one Server like in Eve Online with all the Problems (lags, load balancing languages etc), will there be many Servers like in World of ******** (most stable and many options) or will there be one Server per Language (English USA, English Europe, Spanish, French, and the most important GERMAN!!!!).

The last one would be prefered by the Community.