Lt. Commander
# 61
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
I don't think that there was anything that was too unclear in this installment of Ask Cryptic, but it's still a good thing to discuss in my opinion because ground combat is absolutely the issue that I want to know more about.

I tend to agree, the posted AskCryptic article seemed pretty straight forward and clear.

I still do have some questions about Ground combat in general:
  1. What are the 'types' of healing? Is it healing numerical 'health points' like in WoW, or is more like healing a 'hit'/'injury' (non-numerical -- like in American Army or Call of Duty)?
  2. How large are health pools going to be? Are we 'Tanks' (able to take lots of damage after our shield goes) or are we 'Squishies' (only take 3 or 4 hits and we drop)?
  3. Will there be a 'revive' mechanic (like Resurrection), or when your downed, you auto-respawn back at a point? Can you tell us basically what it is?
  4. What are the ranges for 'healing'?
  5. We know cover helps block fire and regenerate PDS (shields). What other things will help promote more tactical approaches, rather than just standing in the open and focus firing?
  6. Will a Melee user be able to simply charge across the field (ala Braveheart) and attack a range user, or will melee weapons be something requiring more finesse (ie getting to melee range without being shot down)?

Rekhan, does this mean that the dev chat will not cover the other questions asked in the 'AskCryptic' Thread - http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=23827 ?

Lt. Commander
# 62
08-14-2009, 04:32 AM
How will the interaction between the player ( Captain ) and the away team ( NPCs ) work? Will they function on a built in AI making their own decisions, or will we issue them commands?
Lt. Commander
# 63
08-14-2009, 05:27 AM
Thought I'd ask this again just to make sure that my questions were clear.

Will personal force fields be customizable?

Will ground combat in STO require the MMO "Holy Trinity' - powerful force field Tank - heavy weapons Damage Dealer - and medical officer Healer?

If not then what is going to be done to prevent that from happening?
Lt. Commander
# 64
08-14-2009, 06:03 AM
In what ways have you tried to push the envelope in relation to ground combat? So far it's looking like it's going to be pretty standard, traditional mmo game mechanics. What have you done/are you planning on doing to make ground combat in Star Trek Online more interesting than it was in CoX?
Lt. Commander
# 65
08-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks for rescheduling Cryptic, but only 30 minutes? we usually get an hour :\

oh well. info is info, right?
Lt. Commander
For some reason, I can't get the Java IRC client. The browser keeps freezing. Is their server working?
Lt. Commander
# 67
08-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Sorry I missed this .. been sick past 2 days.

Hope people got some important questions answered!
Lt. Commander
# 68 Lasting effect
08-14-2009, 04:35 PM
I want to know if the combat, be it in space or on the ground, will impact the universe. If a planet or star base is captured then those resources should flow to that faction. I just want to see MMO's move down the path of player characters actually having an impact on the game instead of experiencing it statically. I want to see my efforts move the map borders or if I discover a new civilization and they join the Federation then it is reflected in the game.

I can see it now...."Breaking news: A new civilization was discovered today on the fringes of the Alpha Quadrant. Their ancient, but advanced, technologies will bring breakthroughs in many areas of science and possibly change how we go about our everyday lives. In other news, the Klingon Empire continues to harass Starfleet humanitarian aid being sent to the Romulans. A comment from a high ranking Starfleet representative stated that "Starfleet is doing everything, short of shipping the supplies in military assets, to prevent the Klingon raiders from successfully deterring the Federations aid efforts."

Naz
Lt. Commander
# 69
08-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Was there a link to the chat transcript?
Lt. Commander
# 70
08-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
Was there a link to the chat transcript?
If you look at the main page of this site, they have a link to it there. The link is:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=24490