Lt. Commander
2 questions and sorry if either of these have already been asked/answered

1). Just did a diplo mission and got the usual 10 XP. Given the new Duty Officer system this seems a bit tiny an amount given that we need to get upto 100,000 XP points now. I can get far more a pop by doing the duty officer diplo missions. Oversight? or further burial of the diplo missions?

2). Flying around in my defiant and I happened to gaze at my crew compliment. 50. With that in mind on such a tiny ship, why am I able to get upto 100 duty officers? that would make my ship a little crowded
I think the duty officer limit should be scaled by ship size.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-07-2011, 07:02 AM
1.) They're getting updated, supposedly, but for now the doff system gives some of its most generous CXP for diplomacy.

2.) I just posted a comment about this here:
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...6&postcount=22

Limiting yourself to 50 doffs is going to immensely limit your ability to use the system, subtract 10 for the active roster adn throw an arbitrary number in sickbay... and at least colonists don't count against your crew size, because you're going to be having a hard time of it. On this subject, the Defiant also only carries two shuttles that can carry two people each, so having up to 20 teams up to 5 people each operating independently from the ship and returning on their own is a bigger question than having a few extra people aboard.

But also, keep in mind the Defiant's crew is 50, but it can carry more people than that. According to the technical manual its carry limit is either 150 or 190 (the DS9 tech manual was ambiguous as to whether the carry limit was including or in addition to the standard crew). 100 doffs, 20 passengers, 20 prisoners, 12 boff candidates, 5 boffs (or more), your captain, toss in a few horta or extra boff slots... you can probably break even that number eventually if you count enough things as crew, but suspended disbelief won't have to kick in until they put their planned roster expansion in the C store.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMullins View Post
2 questions and sorry if either of these have already been asked/answered

1). Just did a diplo mission and got the usual 10 XP. Given the new Duty Officer system this seems a bit tiny an amount given that we need to get upto 100,000 XP points now. I can get far more a pop by doing the duty officer diplo missions. Oversight? or further burial of the diplo missions?

2). Flying around in my defiant and I happened to gaze at my crew compliment. 50. With that in mind on such a tiny ship, why am I able to get upto 100 duty officers? that would make my ship a little crowded
I think the duty officer limit should be scaled by ship size.
1. Diplomatic Missions are still a separate item from the DOFF System, which does give great Pay Out Numbers for successful completion.

2. Bunk Beds?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar_Searcher
2. Bunk Beds?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-08-2011, 08:31 AM
To not blow my mind I'd rather think of Duty Officers as "general staff" that operates under your supervision, hence the possibility that you might have a larger group of people operating from bases different than your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by x.j
To not blow my mind I'd rather think of Duty Officers as "general staff" that operates under your supervision, hence the possibility that you might have a larger group of people operating from bases different than your ship.
I like that idea as well. I mean, many/most of us are Admirals (I still use the Captain title but...) and should have a staff to call upon. I also think of my DOffs as "contacts" (especially the civilian ones).
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-10-2011, 09:15 PM
I see it as crew manning stations on the ship. A botanist or diplomat wouldn't really have anything to do when the ship goes into red alert. And if they could get injured during combat it wouldn't actually affect any ship operations.

You can think of some of your duty officers as your normal crew. while the rest are passengers/non-vital crewmen.

In the heat of battle you might not really care if the ships chef got a bump on the head, but you probably would want to know if your entire engineering team is out of commission.