Lt. Commander
# 11
12-07-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
See, it's not canon for there to be ANY carriers, for anyone. The Klinks never had one on TV. The UFP may or may not believe in an Aircraft carrier style of ship. Those Fighters during the Dominion War had to be parked somewhere.

It's a game play gimmick for the Klingons, to give people a reason to play said Klingon. That's all it is. Let's not pretend that it's got anything to do with the Federation's ethics or foreign policy.
Exactly, to say that the peregrine fighters during the dominion war all warped to the battle under their own power is absurd. Plus, hey those WERE fighter craft being blown up by the Dominion/Cardassian fleet. Hmmm, it seems the Federation didn't have a problem with it then, so why now?

The extra ridiculous thing is that hardcore canon players say that because there was no carrier seen in that story arc, the peregrine DID warp in. So it seems that the Federation not only uses fighters but it (along the canon logic) does not give them base ships to retreat to.

WOW... So using all we know from the canon point of view, the federation uses fighters and makes them warp to their destination (doing a warp of most likely 2 or 3, and living in CRAMPED conditions). Furthermore when they get to where they're going they have no base of operations or carrier to use (because remember, if we didn't see a carrier in the show it didn't exist!). In essence according to canon, the federation had fighters, but just used them as cannon fodder.

It would make sense to have a Federation carrier but as stated in the quoted text, it is just a way to give the Klingon faction something unique. As much as I desperately want a Fed carrier, I recognize that reason not to have one.

GO JUPITER!
-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-07-2011, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiiliitiila
Exactly, to say that the peregrine fighters during the dominion war all warped to the battle under their own power is absurd. Plus, hey those WERE fighter craft being blown up by the Dominion/Cardassian fleet. Hmmm, it seems the Federation didn't have a problem with it then, so why now?

The extra ridiculous thing is that hardcore canon players say that because there was no carrier seen in that story arc, the peregrine DID warp in. So it seems that the Federation not only uses fighters but it (along the canon logic) does not give them base ships to retreat to.

WOW... So using all we know from the canon point of view, the federation uses fighters and makes them warp to their destination (doing a warp of most likely 2 or 3, and living in CRAMPED conditions). Furthermore when they get to where they're going they have no base of operations or carrier to use (because remember, if we didn't see a carrier in the show it didn't exist!). In essence according to canon, the federation had fighters, but just used them as cannon fodder.

It would make sense to have a Federation carrier but as stated in the quoted text, it is just a way to give the Klingon faction something unique. As much as I desperately want a Fed carrier, I recognize that reason not to have one.

GO JUPITER!
-Quiiliitiila
Hello, since the rules don't allow crossposting I'd like to simply link to another post I made in another thread today where the same thing came up.
I hope you don't mind.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...76&postcount=9
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-07-2011, 11:10 AM
MVAM + Photonic Fleet + Scorpion Fighters + Fleet Support = Federation Light Carrier

There isn't really anything special about KDF carriers except the extra ships they bring to the fight. They don't hit too hard, and they usually aren't too hard to kill.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Hello, since the rules don't allow crossposting I'd like to simply link to another post I made in another thread today where the same thing came up.
I hope you don't mind.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...76&postcount=9
mister_dee you make a good point in your post, and I understand what you're saying. However I don't agree that it would be practical for Starfleet to send a squadron of the peregrine (or whatnot) away on extended missions or large scale battles without some type of carrier (I say carrier for lack of a better term). Instead, canon shows us that there was nothing for these fighters to retreat to and realistically they can not warp as fast as other ships. I'm merely saying it would make sense for the Federation to have carrier type vessels, and there is ample evidence in the show to suggest there may have been.

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
. Those Fighters during the Dominion War had to be parked somewhere.
Did you see a carrier in the shows or movies?
If sight/seen/display on film is the proof of canon, then its true the feds have fighters but obvisiuosly not carriers for them as none where shown in the shows or movies.

I hope those peregrine's had waste recycling facilities becuase that had to be a long warp time to travel.

This debate has gotten beyond circular though.
The carriers where given to the KDF to give a difference of the factions when we had very little to enjoy. Something for us.
Have the feds not enough of thier own ships yet or a diversity among them to find enjoyment?

If its a chick/egg extrapilation, fighters exist therefore there must be a carrier to support them, that bites both ways as the KDF can rationalize things that we've been said we did not have but the genre hints at.

If its a matter of a player just likes to play pet controling toons, roll a klink.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-07-2011, 12:05 PM
I kinda don't want to open this can of worms, but wasn't the Akira class a light carrier or something?

Also, It would make sense to me that the Federation saw the usefulness of fighters and decided to build a dedicated carrier for them instead of leaving them at starbases where their practical useful range was limited. It's been a while since the Dominion War.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Patton
I kinda don't want to open this can of worms, but wasn't the Akira class a light carrier or something?

Also, It would make sense to me that the Federation saw the usefulness of fighters and decided to build a dedicated carrier for them instead of leaving them at starbases where their practical useful range was limited. It's been a while since the Dominion War.
Or they would tow a starbase to those areas where fighters where needed to help conquer the indeginiuos species?
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Or they would tow a starbase to those areas where fighters where needed to help conquer the indeginiuos species?
Or theyre sitting on the Hydran carriers and they sit to far back in the theatre to be seen.

Blooop-blooop-bloooops for the Fed's, three legs are always better than two!!
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
And the deflector can be upgraded to an orbital friendship cannon. :p
How could I have forgotten that??
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Or theyre sitting on the Hydran carriers and they sit to far back in the theatre to be seen.

Blooop-blooop-bloooops for the Fed's, three legs are always better than two!!
Mmmmmmmmmmm.. Hellbores and gatling phasers.... Give me the Paladin over the Odessy, please!