Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
12-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergenera1 View Post
linky or it never happened.
Here you go.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
12-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Mmmmmmmmmmm.. Hellbores and gatling phasers.... Give me the Paladin over the Odessy, please!
We essentailly already have ESG's, why not??
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
12-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValle
Seems kind oif redundant that federation does have any carrier classes. Klingons have like a half dozen at least with the new addition of ships with the Kar'fi getting a second hangar bay. I just wish they did have some. I dont really care to play federation because they don't have any carriers, which i have always liked playing pet classes in every MMO i've played.
I think all ships should be equiped with a shuttle bay and depending on the ship depends on the amount of shuttles and bays you have. However I think only carriers should have fighters as well as alot of hangers
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
12-08-2011, 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daBelgrave
MVAM + Photonic Fleet + Scorpion Fighters + Fleet Support = Federation Light Carrier

There isn't really anything special about KDF carriers except the extra ships they bring to the fight. They don't hit too hard, and they usually aren't too hard to kill.
My personal favorite is the Karfi's frigate: tricobalt torp, chronoton mine, and aceton field debuff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
12-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach

Did you see a carrier in the shows or movies?
If sight/seen/display on film is the proof of canon, then its true the feds have fighters but obvisiuosly not carriers for them as none where shown in the shows or movies.

I hope those peregrine's had waste recycling facilities becuase that had to be a long warp time to travel.

This debate has gotten beyond circular though.
The carriers where given to the KDF to give a difference of the factions when we had very little to enjoy. Something for us.
Have the feds not enough of thier own ships yet or a diversity among them to find enjoyment?

If its a chick/egg extrapilation, fighters exist therefore there must be a carrier to support them, that bites both ways as the KDF can rationalize things that we've been said we did not have but the genre hints at.

If its a matter of a player just likes to play pet controling toons, roll a klink.
Although I agree with you the Feds shouldn't have carriers (there's hardly a less appropriate ship type to give them) I disagree with the reasoning. The Carriers were KDF specific to mark them out and Science ships Fed specific but with science ships now available through the ranks to the KDF there are still two faction specific ship types available to the KDF (Raiders and Carriers) that have no counterpart on the Fed side so even if carriers are added, and I sincerely hope they aren't, then the KDF hasn't lost any more than the Feds did when Sci ships were made available to the KDF.
Stating the huge number of ships available to the Feds is also not quite what a lot have issues with as those ships are all but identical; a fleet escort isn't entirely different to a Defiant or MVAE outside of detail differences whereas Raiders and Carriers offer an entirely different play style to a Raptor or Battlecruiser.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
12-08-2011, 07:46 AM
In a word: no. The only ship class that the Federation ever had that could be considered canon (and even then, very loosely) is the Coronado-class through-deck cruisers. But it depends on if you consider Ships of the Star Fleet to be canon or not (I personally do, as well as Franz Joseph's book, but that's just me and my tastes).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
12-08-2011, 08:19 AM
No carriers for feds.

Less spam overall.

Makes more sense in canon.

Want a carrier = go play KDF, they have a huuuuge variety. Carriers are to KDF, what holodecks are to feds.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
12-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
Although I agree with you the Feds shouldn't have carriers (there's hardly a less appropriate ship type to give them) I disagree with the reasoning. The Carriers were KDF specific to mark them out and Science ships Fed specific but with science ships now available through the ranks to the KDF there are still two faction specific ship types available to the KDF (Raiders and Carriers) that have no counterpart on the Fed side so even if carriers are added, and I sincerely hope they aren't, then the KDF hasn't lost any more than the Feds did when Sci ships were made available to the KDF.
Stating the huge number of ships available to the Feds is also not quite what a lot have issues with as those ships are all but identical; a fleet escort isn't entirely different to a Defiant or MVAE outside of detail differences whereas Raiders and Carriers offer an entirely different play style to a Raptor or Battlecruiser.
I would agree that on the surface it seems that the squeezing out a bit of Science from the feds to the klinks can be seen as evidence of hypocracy.
Except the request for science ships to be made availible in the limited form the exist for the KDf was not becuase Science toons wanted to take something they liked from the feds becuase they liked it and wanted the same gameplay.
The cry for some Science capable vessels came about becuase we have the science class and no true science vessel for which the class could enjoy gameplay. It was a class related request that will appear if the Romulans or any other faction rears its head in STO - enough differing types of ships to cover the three base classes allowed ingame.
If memory serves, the same time the cry for more science ships went up from the KDF the first concept put forth by the KDF fans was not science parity in vessels but for upgrading the Carrier to be a real science vessel or the advent of a Science specific type of BoP. The fact we got more ships for science than asked for is on the Devs, not due to Klink outcry.
Carriers have no such class ties as they are not a true science vessel and are one of only two truelly unique vessels to the faction as most vessels in the KDF that now qaulify as science (and some that don't) are simple mirrors of fed ships in design and only sometimes have the cloak to make them different.

My other factor is saying no is based of what the OP has stated in his opening post;

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValle
I dont really care to play federation because they don't have any carriers, which i have always liked playing pet classes in every MMO i've played.
He only wants the Carrier fedside so he can play a carrier without leaving fedside or as the reason to play fedside because he enjoys pet classes.
He can play klink.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post

He only wants the Carrier fedside so he can play a carrier without leaving fedside or as the reason to play fedside because he enjoys pet classes.
He can play klink.
I will happilty forego Fed' carriers if Fed's can have one Commander level Fed' Express class starship to fly wingman with us.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
12-10-2011, 08:54 AM
I support this thread. come on cryptic hasn't it been long enough? bring out those fed carriers !
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 AM.