Lt. Commander
# 1 Did the Excelsior get a nerf?
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
pre-patch, my Excelsior was quite nimble and capable. Yes, I made sure to spec my engineer appropriately with power to engines and so forth. My question is this, does anyone else notice the Excel handling being sluggish since the patch?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-06-2011, 08:52 AM
It's funny you should mention that. I have an admiral's Excelsior and noticed I couldn't swing around as fast when trying to bring my forward torpedoes to bear. It was like the turn rate had been reduced. I can't back it up with numbers, but maybe the respecs messed around with it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Yup, I have to agree. I specced completely into everything that effects turning and such, but my Excelsior is noticeably clumsier.

Oh well, I guess we should've see it coming...

Best we all just vote for the JUPITER!
-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Ok, so it's not just me. I was worried I was doing something wrong. At this point, my Dreadnaught is more capable than my Excel is. Same turn rate, higher hull and more crew :/
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
pre-patch, my Excelsior was quite nimble and capable. Yes, I made sure to spec my engineer appropriately with power to engines and so forth. My question is this, does anyone else notice the Excel handling being sluggish since the patch?
It's in the new skill tree. There are less overall bonuses to turn rate. Before season 5 , My Excel' had a 17.1 turn rate, after season 5 was 16.3. I think it is in the engine power, I cut aux and shields a little and boosted engines to get it up to 16.8 . It still turns pretty darn good. I figure if I really geek it, it will only be in the 22.5 range (instead of previous 24.5). But in the new patch, it seems to make maneuvering more usefull, you just have to do different things than running circles. I've "scissored" or even played with the throttle and mid combat and got the advantage over a superior turning foe several times now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
It's in the new skill tree. There are less overall bonuses to turn rate. Before season 5 , My Excel' had a 17.1 turn rate, after season 5 was 16.3. I think it is in the engine power, I cut aux and shields a little and boosted engines to get it up to 16.8 . It still turns pretty darn good. I figure if I really geek it, it will only be in the 22.5 range (instead of previous 24.5). But in the new patch, it seems to make maneuvering more usefull, you just have to do different things than running circles. I've "scissored" or even played with the throttle and mid combat and got the advantage over a superior turning foe several times now.
I figured it had something to do with the skill tree, but I would've figured they'd keep the old total bonuses. Oh well, I like the new skill tree anyway, but I guess in some aspects it's sub-par with the old.

-Quiiliitiila
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-06-2011, 01:30 PM
because cruisers as a whole just didn't turn slow enough as it was? hope they fix this......but not gonna hold my breath.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentai View Post
because cruisers as a whole just didn't turn slow enough as it was? hope they fix this......but not gonna hold my breath.
Cruisers are supposed to be the less maneuverable ships. I am reasonably happy with the turn rate of my Excel'. 16.8 isn't that horrible. If I REALLY need to add more turn, I still can. What do you want out of a cruiser?
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamhammer View Post
Cruisers are supposed to be the less maneuverable ships. I am reasonably happy with the turn rate of my Excel'. 16.8 isn't that horrible. If I REALLY need to add more turn, I still can. What do you want out of a cruiser?
GOD LIKE ABILITIES AND ENOUGH FIREPOWER TO OWN THE WHOLE GAME!!!!!

But yeah, I never got a cruiser expecting a really good turn rate. I'm content with how it is now.

-Quiiliitiila (GO JUPITER!)
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
I just goto 80% speed and it turns better - at least it seems too