Lt. Commander
# 1 Quad canons
12-07-2011, 05:14 PM
I put some Quad Canons on my Dreadnought. Having fun with it.
But was it worth it? Seems the Dual Heavy Canons do a little more damage.
However, I am using a Quad as opposed to the Dual Canons.

Dual Heavy Canons MK X1 (CTRLD) (Damage x2)

VS.

Phaser Quad Canons (Damage X4)

When I check the damage output on my powers bar. It shows that the Quads have slightly less damage output.

Anyone tried out the Quads yet any opinions?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-08-2011, 01:55 AM
They're clearly overpowered, except that they're utterly useless.

Hope that helps!
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-08-2011, 09:44 AM
From the research I've done it seems that the damage put out by the quads isn't consistent. One second they hit hard, the next second they don't. Having a hard time figuring out the why behind that in terms of game math.

Also, you can't count on what you are seeing from the powers bar... as DPS calculations for cannons are not accurate. The only way to know for sure is to check your logs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Remember how Torp Spread was delivering insane criteria? Base damage of a single hit was so high that when it went critical the math made it incredibly critical. I wounder if these are working similarly (although at a significantly reduced amount)? The DMGx4 mod means that a critical hit can hit for a pretty high amount. The trade off being that you are less accurate, your severity of it is reduced, and you have fewer chances of getting a critical in the first place.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-11-2011, 08:35 AM
I took my quad cannons off to just go with normal heavy's.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-12-2011, 05:35 AM
They are bad for one simple reason that has nothing to do with power: They are a cosmetic item that don't give you the cosmetic effect you want in practice. We would need the ability to slot 2-4 Quad Cannons for that effect. And maybe even then it wouldn't achieve it, because the firing frequency would be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale
Remember how Torp Spread was delivering insane criteria? Base damage of a single hit was so high that when it went critical the math made it incredibly critical. I wounder if these are working similarly (although at a significantly reduced amount)? The DMGx4 mod means that a critical hit can hit for a pretty high amount. The trade off being that you are less accurate, your severity of it is reduced, and you have fewer chances of getting a critical in the first place.
Even [DMG]x4 doesn't add that much damage to make this a noteworthy difference. IIt would have to be a hidden Crit Severity buff for that, I think.