Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
12-10-2011, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
In addition to the version seen in TOS which had no detail on its wings, there was the model designed for the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations", which was speifically identified as a D7 and looked like this:

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...eations246.jpg

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...eations247.jpg

not sure that's what Destinii meant (probably noT9 but it seems htere are atleast two subvariants of the D7 depending on how you look at it.
Yes, but 1) those are after TMP, my guess in an effort to make the D7 look like the immediate predecessor to the K'T'Inga, and even then, those lines are 'etched' into the hull, not 'layered' on, like the TMP K'T'inga.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
12-10-2011, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Yes, but 1) those are after TMP, my guess in an effort to make the K'T'inga an 'upgrade' of the D7, and even then, those lines are 'etched' into the hull, not 'layered' on, like the TMP K'T'inga.
I'm sorry, but I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say "those are after TMP".
Do you mean in universe (which it was not) or do you mean out of universe as in "it was produced after TMP"?
If you mean the latter, well then I must say that theory had been around since TMP anyway.
There is of course also the possibility that it just had been done due to a rather simple reason:
The two non-Federation ships of the "big three" from TOS, the Romulan and the Klingon ships lacked a certain level of detail due to the limited budget.
The difference was of course that in many shots of the Enterprise's saucer the grid-like structure of the saucer was not actually visible due to the limited quality of the special effects.
So the increase in visual quality of the effects done for the DS9 episode simply reavealed details of the Enterprise that had already been there all along, just not clearly visible.
On the other hand this distinct lack of detail on the D7's hull would have been appearent to the same degree due to the increased quality.
So it's of course possible that the changes to the IKS Groth were done for reasons of raising the detail on the D7 model so it could stand up to the Enterprise and not to indicate the K't'inga was an upgrade of the D7, which is equally likely with and without those details on the wings.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
12-10-2011, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
I'm sorry, but I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say "those are after TMP".
Do you mean in universe (which it was not) or do you mean out of universe as in "it was produced after TMP"?
If you mean the latter, well then I must say that theory had been around since TMP anyway.
There is of course also the possibility that it just had been done due to a rather simple reason:
The two non-Federation ships of the "big three" from TOS, the Romulan and the Klingon ships lacked a certain level of detail due to the limited budget.
The difference was of course that in many shots of the Enterprise's saucer the grid-like structure of the saucer was not actually visible due to the limited quality of the special effects.
So the increase in visual quality of the effects done for the DS9 episode simply reavealed details of the Enterprise that had already been there all along, just not clearly visible.
On the other hand this distinct lack of detail on the D7's hull would have been appearent to the same degree due to the increased quality.
So it's of course possible that the changes to the IKS Groth were done for reasons of raising the detail on the D7 model so it could stand up to the Enterprise and not to indicate the K't'inga was an upgrade of the D7, which is equally likely with and without those details on the wings.
Yes, I mean 'produced after' TMP. Regardless, the fact is that in the game, the ships that have what appears to be 'layered on armor' are K'T'ingas and two impulse engine exhausts on the main hull, and the D7 models have 'inlaid' square panels and the impulse engine exhaust on the 'box' on the top of the hull. It's the D7 models that should be in the missions, not the current K'T'ingas.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
12-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Yes, I mean 'produced after' TMP. Regardless, the fact is that in the game, the ships that have what appears to be 'layered on armor' are K'T'ingas and two impulse engine exhausts on the main hull, and the D7 models have 'inlaid' square panels and the impulse engine exhaust on the 'box' on the top of the hull. It's the D7 models that should be in the missions, not the current K'T'ingas.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
And yes, the D7s should be in that mission just like they should be in "Past Imperfect".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
12-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
And yes, the D7s should be in that mission just like they should be in "Past Imperfect".
Yes, I agree, and I think I mentioned that mission along with Night of the Comet.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
12-10-2011, 05:04 AM
You're right, after reading your first post a second time I've got to wonder how i missed that part.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
12-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Hmm.. Not even a message from Branflakes about this thread. That's discouraging.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
12-20-2011, 10:59 AM
Added to my list of feedback.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.