Lt. Commander
# 1 3 times this week....
12-08-2011, 07:09 AM
... the servers have been brought down for maintenance. Totally becoming a pain in the *** now.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-08-2011, 07:12 AM
Just be happy they dont do Blizzard-style maintenance right in the middle of the day, and then have "unexpected" extensions that last all day... Or CCP with their 24 hour downtimes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-08-2011, 07:17 AM
But surely taking the servers down 3 times since Monday is a bit extreme? Then again tbh this is the first MMO I've ever played.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Ah, no... this is common, just not overly common. Its just something you get used to over time... or you dont get used to it and make whiney threads about it everytime it happens (not saying thats what youre doing).
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra1701 View Post
Then again tbh this is the first MMO I've ever played.
This is sort of par for the course in an MMO following a major patch like we had last week. Somebody already mentioned Blizzard, typically when they push a major patch you can basically write off the raid week, because the server will be down all day and come down at least one or two more times for emergency maintenance, not to mention the extra instability because they run their debugging hooks on the new content because every damn time one of the top few guilds finds some kind of bizarre exploit that trivializes a difficult boss.

Next week might have several too, but after that things should return to normal.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-08-2011, 07:23 AM
Quote:
But surely taking the servers down 3 times since Monday is a bit extreme? Then again tbh this is the first MMO I've ever played.
An MMO is a very very complicated thing to run.

I find Cryptic at fault and lacking on many issues, but this wouldn't be one of them.

The sheer complexity of the systems that sustain a server designed for several hundred thousand people to connect to (and simultaneously play on) in real time, each with many many many hundreds of custom variables affecting their traits and appearance..... it makes my head hurt.

Not to mention that since they released a huge patch recently new bugs are going to crop up by the dozens.This means (hopefully) nearly daily patching to fix the issues that weren't found in beta testing.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-08-2011, 07:24 AM
Quote:
no, not really. its not normal to have this all the time, but after seasonal releases there are a few issues to clear up and there are usually a few patches in quick succession. some have been quite important that really cant wait. it will settle down soon.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
Just be happy they dont do Blizzard-style maintenance right in the middle of the day, and then have "unexpected" extensions that last all day... Or CCP with their 24 hour downtimes.
Whenever its done its the middle of someones game time. Has been a bit of a pain in the rear some of us
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Also bear in mind we are or should be having Q's wonderland event starting when servers come back up this time.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarss
Whenever its done its the middle of someones game time. Has been a bit of a pain in the rear some of us
My point was that they could state that the down-time was only going to last for 2 hours, and then when its all done, its 8pm and the downtime started at 10am est.