Lt. Commander
The Holiday Event is neat. I like the race. That was fun to run. I'll look forward to it with each of my characters. Took me a few times to beat it, it's nice that we can repeat it as many times as needed to win (or at least I was able to repeat it four times).

The scarfs are very cool. I especially like that you can wear them with On or Off Duty Clothing. I was disappointed the scarfs are not account-wide unlocks, but oh well. Also I'm disappointed the Targ Ear Muffs are only "currency" and non-wearable.

The new accolades are sweet. After seeing the Snowmen, it appears clear the Devs are Calvin and Hobbs fans, which is awesome! I like the "peppermint' Winter Tribble. Very cute FX on that.

I got very lucky with my gift boxes. My main character had 5x Gift Receipts from the Dilithium Tax, got 1x Red Gift from the Race, then bought 10x Gifts from the C-Store. On the 13th box I opened I got the Jem Hadar ship.

Now I'm stuck trying to figure out on which character to unlock the ship.

And while I know the Tribble Testing Rewards are not directly related to the Winter Wonderland, getting all those goodies at the same time makes this feel all the more like Christmas.
Lt. Commander
# 42
12-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Allow me to elaborate a bit on what I've said:

I do want to thank the line devs for the forethought and effort it took to put together an event like this. It is nontrivial work! It's nothing to sneeze at, and sneeze at it I do not!

I take issue with the boneheaded decision to essentially competetivize and monetize the event. Sure, you don't have to spend real money to get a chance at the extra special shiny... but the option's there... if you want it... after all, how many pressies could it take to get that special shiny? It can't be all that many... just spend a few C-Points, it can't hurt much... they're 'free' anyway....

Yeah, no. Bonk that noise.

The very best events I've participated in have emphasized community, camaraderie, and cooperation. They did not have some sort of hierarchal tier of special shinies. Any bennies you got were, at best, a title, or a badge. Maybe a minor buff. Not even a hierarchy of Stuff. They were simply fun things to do for everyone to participate in and took effort to not make anyone feel left out, put down, unlucky, put off, or missing out. No, that may not be easy to do... but it's WORTH IT.

An event that encouraged people to get together, even if possible with an in-game reason similar to the Christmas Ceasefire of the First World War, without a towering hierarchy of gifts and shinies and like, with just lots of folks getting together -- some in character, some not, some somewhere in between -- with some games to participate in together., with some gifts that can be exchanged but noting as ridiculous as a whole new FRACKING SHIP.... *wipes froth from mouth* That would engender community. That would bring people together.

Instead we apparently have someone offering to sell people a bugship through #@&^*(^$) Paypal. Yeah, real Spirit of the Season there. And it's been enabled by the nature of the event.

So kudos! Kudos to the devs for making a lovely map, coming up with some ideas for fun events, encouraging people to get together in this, the coldest time of the year (at least in the Northern Hemisphere of Earth) for warm companionship and camaraderie! But boos to whomever came up with the idea of making this competetivize and monetized. I hope they learn from this and do not do it next year.
Lt. Commander
# 43
12-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthson View Post
Again i say the devs can't win for losing! They to do something kinda fun and cute for the holidays and look what happens? And who says you have to but the item from the store in the first place? Its completely optional! I just don't understand some people, i guess...
Hey ... I love the event. My only beef is that 1,200 c-store points is a lot for a chance at a good prize when the odds are you'll get something you could have bought cheaper from the same store.

What it means is I'll just run the race in game and hope for the best.
Lt. Commander
# 44
12-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatricianVetinariI got very lucky with my gift boxes. My main character had 5x Gift Receipts from the Dilithium Tax, got 1x Red Gift from the Race, then bought 10x Gifts from the C-Store. On the 13th box I opened I got the [B
Jem Hadar[/b] ship.
Two questions:

1) Based on your statement if you win the ship it's some kind of token you use to claim it and it is transferable. Is this correct?

2) What level was the character that the random number god smiled upon?
Lt. Commander
# 45
12-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Fun event! Nicely done. I don't think I'll see a ship out of it, but I'm hoping for a scarf...
Lt. Commander
# 46
12-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Great work on the winter wonderland. It's a nice change of pace and refreshing to see some unashemedly silly stuff in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 47
12-08-2011, 07:55 PM

So, the gift receipts are not actually for all your long term loyal customers, but rather for the grind-inclined who got less dilithium than they should have. It's nice to know that I've been here since the beta, paid for three CE boxes, paid for three lifetime accounts, spent a generous sum of money in the c-store, and am NOT considered a "long-time" player. wow, just wow.
Lt. Commander
# 48
12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
While I did not get a Jem'hadar ship, I got a FABULOUS scarf. Although I would have killed for a Santa hat.
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presticus View Post
Two questions:

1) Based on your statement if you win the ship it's some kind of token you use to claim it and it is transferable. Is this correct?

2) What level was the character that the random number god smiled upon?
1) Aye. When you win the ship you get a "Box" in your inventory. It looks like the purple box pictured in the C-Store for the Winter Package (with the top still on and sans question marks). The Box is entitled [Special Requisition Pack - Jem'Hadar Attack Ship]. It is not bound (so can be traded, sold, exchanged, mailed, etc. And no, I'm not selling ). What I find amusing is that it's a "Common Inventory". You'd think it would be purple, at least. Heh.

2) It was my main/first character who is a VA1. I'm told by other users in chat that got the ship, the character's level doesn't matter. However, I believe only L51 characters can fly it.

Edit: Also Dev Confirmed:
Quote:
The ship can be rewarded to any player that gets a Winter Package, regardless of level.
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho....php?p=3895910
Lt. Commander
# 50
12-09-2011, 12:47 AM
Wow, just wow. I can't believe how many people there are in this thread complaining!

New content that allows you to possibly get a different item unavailable anywhere else (or only available via the C-store) without having to spend any currency (in game or out) each time you play it. How is this not a good thing?

I can see it now - the new FE episodes are released and people will be complaining there is only one new mission a week!