Lt. Commander
# 111
12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Sorry but you cant have it both ways. Either the child is old/mature enough to be playing online games with adult strangers and therefore also old/mature enough for a simple lesson of the risks of gambling or he's not. If he's not old/mature enough for the latter they he has no business online playing with adult strangers in the first place.
You assume father and son play withe chat up (But the post did say they play together and many of my friends who have small kids that are interested in what mom and dad are doing on the computer let them play with supervision etc.
Lt. Commander
# 112
12-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
You assume father and son play withe chat up (But the post did say they play together and many of my friends who have small kids that are interested in what mom and dad are doing on the computer let them play with supervision etc.
And if he is monitoring his son every second he plays then he could obviously make sure he didnt buy things in the c-store that he didnt approve of, couldnt he? Again, you cant have it both ways. Either the son is mature enough to be playing with adult strangers(and therefore also mature enough for a simple lesson) or he's not. Either the son is being constantly monitored(and therefore unable to make purchases his father doesnt approve of) or he's not.
Lt. Commander
# 113
12-09-2011, 11:49 AM
*removed as redundant*
Lt. Commander
# 114
12-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Here's one for my fellow Star Trek Online addicts. Enjoy "The Game"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ih-...eature=related
Lt. Commander
# 115
12-09-2011, 11:54 AM
The new lottery needs no apologists. The common retort has been the same-- if you don't like it, don't play it-- which completely ignores the fact that all these systems are interdependent. One decision impacts all the others, so that even if you don't partake of the lottery now, it could have far-reaching effects on how you obtain ships in the future.

What happens when Cryptic decides to make the Jem'Hadar ship obtainable via lottery only? That's what a great many "Eastern F2P" games do. What if a whole slew of new ships/costumes/BOs become obtainable in only this way? What happens when they offer the choice between buying a cheap lotto ticket or the same item for a now-increased number of C-Points in the store? Honestly, when I come here sometimes I feel I've awoken in Bizarro-world, a land where people applaud companies for creating more efficient ways of depriving them of their money. What happened to simply giving subscribers the content and ships they want for free, as part of the service they pay for?

I"ve never been a big fan of the Cryptic store and I make no apologies for that. But the progression is clear for anyone who wants to chart it. It's gone from a cutesy place to sell fluff, through the Galaxy-X debacle that was alleviated by putting the ship in the store for 20-something dollars (crisis averted!), to the point where now all new ships-- many of them approaching pay-to-win-- are only offered via spending C-Points. Of course, creating all these new C-Store additions pay for themselves, right? The $15 per month fee simply pays for the copious amounts of new content we've seen being rolled out.

Hold on, it gets better. Long-term, dutiful players saw their emblems get taxed on the transition to dilithium and C-Store prices are due to climb; many items that were once slated to be account-wide will now be unlockable at the character level. Crafting has been made dilithium-dependent and caps on ways to earn and amounts of dilithium that can be refined ensure that you must be grinding this much to obtain that new shiny. Thankfully, since nobody has to craft, do dailies, fiddle with their BOFFs/DOFFs, do STFs, compete in PvP, obtain VA-level ships, or buy anything from the C-Store, these changes don't have to affect anyone.

So, yeah, sarcasm aside, you don't like the lottery, you don't have to play. But to pretend that this new addition is something that happens in isolation and won't have any impact on the rest of the game is naive. The Winter stuff isn't even a fun little gift to all us loyal subscribers. It's a chance to test out just what the current market will bear when it comes to the lottery and, judging from the anecdotes on this thread, Cryptic has found a new vein of gold to gleefully mine. When you take a long look at the landscape, it's pretty easy to see that everything here has changed and, in my opinion, not for the better.
Lt. Commander
# 116
12-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapitaine View Post
The Winter stuff isn't even a fun little gift to all us loyal subscribers.
I havent spent a dime of real money on this event and have gotten several rare items that I didnt have before. Sounds like a "little gift" to me.
Lt. Commander
# 117
12-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
I haven't spent a dime of real money on this event and have gotten several rare items that I didn't have before. Sounds like a "little gift" to me.
IT certainly is.. The items were nice and Scaled well.. XI Dual Tet Beams better then a poke in the eye with a bat'leth any day.

The lay outs nice the Snowman Accolades appropriate.
Only wish was for a more Champions like Perk for exploring more of the camp and terrain.
Like the Ship above the camp would be nice.

or The Golden opportunity for Boot hockey on the pond ..
Lt. Commander
# 118
12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
I havent spent a dime of real money on this event and have gotten several rare items that I didnt have before. Sounds like a "little gift" to me.
So, it's okay if I give you a holiday bonus of 1% to your income then raise inflation across the board by 5% starting January 1, 2012?

Please, please don't take this as an attack against you, personally. Your posts have been some of the most level-headed, well-reasoned I've seen around these forums, lately. However, your comment demonstrates the point I've been trying to make. When taken in isolation or in the short-term, a lot of these changes seem minor or even beneficial. But they often presage a negative trend. Back when the Galaxy-X hit the C-Store a number of us sounded the alarm for what was to come and now we see it fulfilled. Ships are essentially exclusive to the store and have been getting more and more powerful (in comparison to what little has been offered for free). It's not just fluff anymore.

Now the introduction of lottery items which for now seems innocuous, but can quickly become a game-changer. Everyone likes free stuff but what happens when it's no longer free? What happens when they introduce a Q-Token grind in addition to everything else? When coveted items can only be gotten via lottery as I said before? Seems impossible? A year ago people were absolutely certain this game wouldn't go F2P but look where we are today. The biggest, most consistent complaint around here is lack of content and all I'm seeing are new ways to monetize everything.
Lt. Commander
# 119
12-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
yeah, that's pretty much what I mean. I'm pretty sure that gambling is illegal in most states, yet somehow MMO's are allowed to do it.
There are a lot of laws that determine what, exactly, constitute gambling and lotteries. Sometimes there are gray areas that things can fall into.

FWIW, I've recently read that several state Attorneys General are taking an interest in penny auction sites (like Beezid and similar) as their business models seem to rely on a form of gambling, with the 'auctioned' items being the 'pot' that players compete for.

FWIW, I think the prize boxes fall more into the category of lottery, as they possess the three traits that US law requires of a lottery:

There's a prize (or multiple prizes)
Only random chance is involved (e.g. it's not a contest of skill or strength, etc.)
There's consideration required on the players' parts (you have to put something of value up)

I'm not clear on whether or not the in-game prizes would be considered 'prizes' under US law, but I'm sure Cryptic has legal counsel, and I'd imagine they ran this past their counsel before they decided to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 120
12-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapitaine View Post
So, it's okay if I give you a holiday bonus of 1% to your income then raise inflation across the board by 5% starting January 1, 2012.
Inflation means your money becomes worth less. With more rare items being introduced via the grab bags prices will actually go down as there will be more of them than there were previously.