Lt. Commander
I happen to have a lot of character slots because I really like playing this game and trying to get to VA with all different combination's of character type and Ships. I am disabled and use my keybinds for almost everything and I have basically changed each and every keybind to make certain things easier for me.

Every time I start a new character I have to make sure that I remember to unload my keybinds... But I know that each of my other Characters always have the keybinds saved so I don't have to upload them each day. When you start a new character it has a default set of keybinds the are saved somewhere.

So what I was wondering is .... Is there a way to make my keybinds the default keybinds for my whole account so I don't have to upload the 3 sets of keybinds every time I start a new toon?

I can continue to upload them every time I start a new Character, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has their own set of keybinds and would like to be able to start a character with their own keybinds and not have to upload them....

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-08-2011, 03:30 PM
here here... that would be a really nifty addition to the game
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-08-2011, 03:31 PM
In the HUD section of your Options Menu, there are Save UI and Load UI buttons. Try loading the character with the keybinds and HUD set to your liking, click Save UI, then log in with your new character and click Load UI. It should update your new character with all of your old character's setup.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Go to ground - then rpg mode - or set keybinds to ground-rpg in options then type:
/bind_save_file sto_ground_rpg.txt

Go to ground - then shooter mode - or set keybinds to ground-shooterin options then type:
/bind_save_file sto_ground_shooter.txt

Go to space or set keybinds to space in options then type:
/bind_save_file sto_space.txt

Now you have 3 files located in your game's install directory (in the Live folder - the other folders are the test installations):
sto_ground_rpg.txt
sto_ground_shooter.txt
sto_space.txt

The "Save UI button" in the Interface menu will also create a file:
ui_settings.txt

You can then freely edit them (text editor) and reload them into a running client any time by doing the same as above only typing /bind_load_file instead of /bind_save_file - or for the ui settings, press the button to load in the Interface menu, in game.

Dev Note: I have never had the "Load UI Settings" button correctly import my hotkeys. I only get accurate results using the file /bind methods above.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farktoid5000
In the HUD section of your Options Menu, there are Save UI and Load UI buttons. Try loading the character with the keybinds and HUD set to your liking, click Save UI, then log in with your new character and click Load UI. It should update your new character with all of your old character's setup.
thanks Farktoid, last time i tried this (shortly after the button appeared in the UI) it didn't work. i ll try again with a new toon once i m back in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
Dev Note: I have never had the "Load UI Settings" button correctly import my hotkeys. I only get accurate results using the file /bind methods above.
same for me zebular.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farktoid5000
I can concur with the above poster - anytime I've tried to use the "Load UI" button it's never worked and has always just reset my U Iback to the default settings. (And I spent a while trying to grt it to work too.)
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I know how to load and reload all the Keybinds, I was just wondering if there was a way to make them the Default for my account so I wouldn't have to load them when I create each new character.... ....

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zebular
Go to ground - then rpg mode - or set keybinds to ground-rpg in options then type:
/bind_save_file sto_ground_rpg.txt

Go to ground - then shooter mode - or set keybinds to ground-shooterin options then type:
/bind_save_file sto_ground_shooter.txt

Go to space or set keybinds to space in options then type:
/bind_save_file sto_space.txt

Now you have 3 files located in your game's install directory (in the Live folder - the other folders are the test installations):
sto_ground_rpg.txt
sto_ground_shooter.txt
sto_space.txt

The "Save UI button" in the Interface menu will also create a file:
ui_settings.txt

You can then freely edit them (text editor) and reload them into a running client any time by doing the same as above only typing /bind_load_file instead of /bind_save_file - or for the ui settings, press the button to load in the Interface menu, in game.

BTW You can also add the complete path and save them anywhere on your computer .... You can also edit the keybind file to have one key do more that one thing .... I know all about using keybinds, I was just asking if there could be a way to make an account default so I didn't have to do everything in your post .....

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Thank You Fark. This just took care of one of my biggest gripes about STO, Now its supper easy to set up all my alts with the same UI.