Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 The Dauntless from Voyager
11-30-2011, 01:22 PM
I think they should create the Dauntless from Voyager. It would be a really nice ship to have. However I don't know how it would be special in any way. I cant think of a special console or weapon it could have if they were to create it and sell it on the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-30-2011, 01:54 PM
More ships are always good in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-01-2011, 05:32 AM
The Dauntless wasn't a Federation ship. It was a ship from a Delta Quadrant native species disguised as a Federation ship that was going to be a trap so someone could have the entire Voyager crew sent to the Borg's doorstep. He wanted revenge for his planet being assimilated which he felt was Voyager's fault for helping the Borg defeat Species 8472.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-01-2011, 06:10 AM
Afaik there was a dauntless class ship in the 26th century battle in ENT: Azati Prime.

Given that we are currently using centuries old designs, why shouldn't the dauntless already be available now and still in service then.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-01-2011, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
Afaik there was a dauntless class ship in the 26th century battle in ENT: Azati Prime.

Given that we are currently using centuries old designs, why shouldn't the dauntless already be available now and still in service then.
you omitted that the battle in "Azati Prime" never took place because in the final episode of Enterprise's 3rd season the spheres were destroyed and the expanse just vanished.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-01-2011, 06:33 AM
We don't know if due to the destruction of the spheres in the past this future battle won't take place.

And even if we consider it as alternate timeline - the same "problem" applies to the galaxy-x, which is also ingame.

Slipstream drive is already based upon dauntless tech, why not also recreate the dauntless itself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-01-2011, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
We don't know if due to the destruction of the spheres in the past this future battle won't take place.

And even if we consider it as alternate timeline - the same "problem" applies to the galaxy-x, which is also ingame.

Slipstream drive is already based upon dauntless tech, why not also recreate the dauntless itself.
It's specifically stated in the episode that the expanse encompasses a much larger area and the battle is also fought inside it.

Since it collapsed and the sphere builders are sent back into their realm how should the same expanse (Daniels said "the expanse" not "another expanse") exist?

Since the Delphic expanse had previously existed for at least 20 years and had grown in that time to a size of 2000 LY how long would it take to take on half the quardant?
And since they are once again called "sphere builders" that would mean they once again used the spheres to build an expanse.
What kind of incompetents in the Federation would allow them to do that again?
And how slow would they have to be to not notice the occurence of another expanse before they conluded who it was and how they did it.

You're not only arguing from the perspective of ignorance ("we don't know if it didn't happen") but also from a perspective of "they were dumb enough to let it happen a second time".

As for the Galaxy-X, at least it was an actually existing ship that was converted and we had also seen some indication that the technology was slowly developing into that direction with the USS Venture in DS9 that had the Galaxy-X-style additional Phaser strips on her nacelles.

Quantum Slip Stream was not really based on the Dauntless itself but on the technology of Arcturus' people as it was shown on the Dauntless.
The Dauntless itself is not actually needed to utilitze it as we also saw in "Timeless" so there is another point against the Dauntless aside from the fact that it was totally imaginary:
Since Slipstream is already possible without the ship itself, what purpose whould the ship serve?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
12-01-2011, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
It's specifically stated in the episode that the expanse encompasses a much larger area and the battle is also fought inside it.

Since it collapsed and the sphere builders are sent back into their realm how should the same expanse (Daniels said "the expanse" not "another expanse") exist?

Since the Delphic expanse had previously existed for at least 20 years and had grown in that time to a size of 2000 LY how long would it take to take on half the quardant?
And since they are once again called "sphere builders" that would mean they once again used the spheres to build an expanse.
What kind of incompetents in the Federation would allow them to do that again?
And how slow would they have to be to not notice the occurence of another expanse before they conluded who it was and how they did it.
It wasn't stated in what timeline this battle occurred, so it's possible that it will still happen.
And the borg were dumb enough to attack earth twice with just one cube, so much about doing something dumb again; and given the incompetence and ignorance often shown by the admirality...


Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
Quantum Slip Stream was not really based on the Dauntless itself but on the technology of Arcturus' people as it was shown on the Dauntless.
The Dauntless itself is not actually needed to utilitze it as we also saw in "Timeless" so there is another point against the Dauntless aside from the fact that it was totally imaginary:
Since Slipstream is already possible without the ship itself, what purpose whould the ship serve?
The dauntless was designed for long ongoing slipstream travels, while the in STO available slipstream tech is limited to short duration sprints. So the (STO) federation isn't capable of utilizing the tech to it's full potential - e.g. due to incompatible traditional ship design. So why not also utilize the slipstream-streamlined ship design of the dauntless as the starting point for a new class of fully slipstream capable vessels?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Problem was never the shape, problems were keeping the hull from degrading and keeping he stream stable.
Why should a ship based on the technology used on the Danutless look like one on the outside when the outside is not the determining factor?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-01-2011, 07:59 AM
if they add this, i want the Krenim Time incursion Vessel too.

3 times the length of a voquv, armed with loads of cannons and the big "kickban other player for 2 minutes" gun.

:p
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 AM.