Lt. Commander
# 21
12-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
By that definition, I'm gambling every time I use a gumball machine if the one I want is the blue one and keep getting other colors.
Exactly. By his definition you can (and alot of folk do) gamble on whether someone steps off a curb using their left or right foot, or whether or not a car turns right on a corner or goes straight.

You're gambling everytime you get in your car and drive down the street. You're gambling when you eat something It could kill you! You could die of a heart attack because of an allergic reaction!

Hell, youre gambling when you take a dump! That load you released COULD rupture your spleen! xD
Lt. Commander
# 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
By that definition, I'm gambling every time I use a gumball machine if the one I want is the blue one and keep getting other colors.

So is buying fresh fries at McDonald's.
Don't worry my online dictionary says I can start a class-action suit while I wait for the Nigerian prince to send his money to my account...

I figure I'm entitled to the green gumballs only and MCdonalds hardly stands a chance in court since they can't even let people know that hot coffee is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling

You're gambling everytime you get in your car and drive down the street.
You have driven in my Hometown, I see.
Lt. Commander
# 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm View Post
Followup to my last post, do not confuse Winning with Gambling.

Gambling in the act of risking something of value (money in this case) for the chance of something. The ship is the prize, the gambling is the action taken to win that prize.
Wrong. When you buy one of these holiday git packs, you're getting an item. Just because YOU want the Beetle doesn't mean that someone else doesn't want the Horta. You knowingly make this purchase in exchange for a random item of 1 dollar value. If you happen by chance to get the Beetle, good for you. That's not gambling.

gam·ble (gmbl)
v. gam·bled, gam·bling, gam·bles
v.intr.
a. To bet on an uncertain outcome, as of a contest.
b. To play a game of chance for stakes.
2. To take a risk in the hope of gaining an advantage or a benefit.
3. To engage in reckless or hazardous behavior: You are gambling with your health by continuing to smoke.
v.tr.
1. To put up as a stake in gambling; wager.
2. To expose to hazard; risk: gambled their lives in a dangerous rescue mission.
n.
1. A bet, wager, or other gambling venture.
2. An act or undertaking of uncertain outcome; a risk: I took a gamble that stock prices would rise.
[Perhaps from obsolete gamel, to play games, from Middle English gamen, gamenen, to play, from Old English gamenian, from gamen, fun.]
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentai View Post
actually you can get "nothing" if you already have it what good is having another? thats nothing in my book, but what ever i choose NOT to play russian roulette thank you very much
But since the item in that case is tradable/sellable, you can put it up on theEC exchange, etc. It's technically not gambling per se as you're guarenteed something in return. It's more like a Lottery or a Raffle. Also given that there's a way to earn a ticket in game for free - it's not like you can claim the only way to get these items are via spending money.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm View Post
We can all Google from various sources, open up a paper dictionary if you want, and all definitions say this IS Gambling.
There is no nullifying the definition of gambling is you are obtaining some token item. If you are after the ship and you buy the grab bag for the chance to win the ship, it is gambling.... does not matter if they give you a teddy bear in return.

verb (used without object)
to play at any game of chance for money or other stakes.
to stake or risk money, or anything of value, on the outcome of something involving chance: to gamble on a toss of the dice.
verb (used with object)
to lose or squander by betting (usually followed by away ): He gambled all his hard-earned money away in one night.
to wager or risk (money or something else of value): to gamble one's freedom.
to take a chance on; venture; risk: I'm gambling that our new store will be a success.
1. but you get no chance for money or other stakes (which would mean something with monetary value).

2. this is closer, and is also what confuses many people who think this is gambling; however, there is no risk involved. you buy c-store points and the money you paid is forever gone. it's only considered a risk if there's a possibility that your money isn't gone.

The others aren't even worth discussing.

At most you could consider acquiring the gift box as getting the right to play a game of simulated gambling.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-09-2011, 10:35 AM
As much as I dislike what's going on with the JHAS, I have to chime in here and note that this isn't really gambling. A 'grab bag' isn't gambling -- you pay a flat fee, and you get Something. That Something could be pretty much anything they list. It's the same way that woot.com can sell the 'Bag O' Crap' and it's not gambling.

There's lots of skeeviness about this, at least to me; but it isn't gambling.

But, don't take the word of a random person off the Internet about it! Cryptic is a California company. If you want to complain or submit an inquiry or get more infomration, contact:

California Gambling Control Commission
http://www.cgcc.ca.gov/

There's a link on that page for Complaints and for contacting the CGCC.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-09-2011, 10:35 AM
So if I make a "grab bag" with a single price of $1000 and everyone else wins a penny (if they come collect it) it's not gambling?

That's... neat.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frak View Post
It's called personal responsibility.

The world offers us choices. You make yours and I'll make mine.

As long as your choices do me no harm, I'll leave you alone. Do me the same courtesy.
careful to many people hate the concept of personal responsibly you crazy talk could insight nerd rage followed by threats to quite the game
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
So if I make a "grab bag" with a single price of $1000 and everyone else wins a penny (if they come collect it) it's not gambling?

That's... neat.
not really, since that is gambling and what PWE do is just smart buisness, even if it does P' off msot people.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-09-2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel

That's... neat.
Lol, exactly... You can gamble and obtain something.... it is still gambling.
Closed Thread