Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System
Login

Lt. Commander
Just my opinion, but I think that there should be a SINGLE system for officers. BOFFs & DOFFs. It might require slightly more 'thinking' on the part of Cryptic to make it work, but it really should be done. It's kind of silly to have separate streams for things that really should be the same.

In my opinion, crew members should be crew members, period. Whether you make them low-ranking duty officers or high-ranking Bridge Officers should be up to you.

That is, it feels like you should get some initial complement of "crew" and then train those crew up into whatever you need for your ship. In some ways crew would be a bit like 'pets.' They might start out a little dumb but grow over time as you train them up in abilities and specializations. The ones you like the best you can then "promote" to department heads or to Bridge Officers. Those with other specializations can just be crew on the ship doing their jobs to keep things running smoothly and offering their services & abilities as needed.

Seems like crew would have a few different things Cryptic would keep track of: Traits (tactful, peaceful, unruly, logical), Department (engineering, tactical, security, medical), Specialization (gravimetrics, biologist, armory officer), Passive Abilities (chance of beaming in an extra phaser turret, chance of lowering recharge time of subsystem targeting ability), Activated Abilities (ground -- support drone fabrication, shield recharge, space -- target shields, science team), DOFF/DH/BOFF status.

I think it would be cool if it was all one stream for officers and you could simply choose which path your officers take and help to train them over time, promote them or assign them, etc. Of course, you could still get pre-configured officers too with set abilities, perhaps some of which CAN'T be edited or replaced.

& when traded/sold, only certain generic traits maybe would transfer but not the training level, if that makes sense? So outfit would revert to standard issue, no equipment would transfer if it was a BOFF, any name changes would revert to "maiden name," etc.

Just a thought. But it seems to make more sense to me than the current dual-track system.

& it would be nice if there was an unlimited number of slots for 'candidates' so that you can get the rewards for all your missions and not have to delete a bunch of candidates just to get a bunch of unspecified new candidates. You should just be able to get your rewards from missions, have them go into your 'pool' and then deal with the pool later. I don't think there should be an arbitrary limit, as it currently tends to fill up relatively quickly and now I have about 10 missions I haven't been able to collect simply because the reward if a BOFF I have no room for. That's annoying...
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
If we were building the game from the ground up and had considered the development of the duty officer system, this is, in fact, what would have been done. One of the major challenges of working on a live product is building new systems that minimize large changes that usually prove to be disruptive to players. Over time, it is not impossible that we may be able to work in this direction in various ways.
Lt. Commander
This is more of a long-term goal & probably should have been posted in the general feedback / feature requests section, in retrospect. C'est la vie... Ohh well.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
If we were building the game from the ground up and had considered the development of the duty officer system, this is, in fact, what would have been done. One of the major challenges of working on a live product is building new systems that minimize large changes that usually prove to be disruptive to players. Over time, it is not impossible that we may be able to work in this direction in various ways.
I hear ya'... Maybe something for season 7 or 8?

Would be a matter of 'transitioning' existing BOFFs / DOFFs to a single system. Feels like if all such crew would end up having the same potential things that can be specified, then existing BOFFs & DOFFs could be slotted into the new system & then either randomly back-filled with any info not on the original item, or else, allow the user to pick & choose some of the items. Like if a BOFF doesn't have 'traits' (like a DOFF would) maybe the user gets to select traits from a list? Or maybe those traits are just assigned based on what the BOFF was on the old system and what traits that equivalent BOFF, if rewarded, would have by default in the new system.

Anyway, just a long-term goal. I think it would be cool, if slightly more work for the Dev & for players to manage 'growing' their crew pets.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I secretly wanted unused BOFFs to become DOFFs and promote DOFFs into BOFFs. I mean, I have a ton of unused BOFFs with me still. Who doesn't? It would make it easy to move one officer via promotion or demotion if you are a sick person towards your crew.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddictMike View Post
I secretly wanted unused BOFFs to become DOFFs and promote DOFFs into BOFFs. I mean, I have a ton of unused BOFFs with me still. Who doesn't? It would make it easy to move one officer via promotion or demotion if you are a sick person towards your crew.
Exactly my point... They're all crew and in many ways should be interchangeable. It might even be cool if non-bridge officers could be used on some away mission, if they did end up being interchangeable. That is, you could take along a warp theorist on a mission to help get a ship back up and running, or you could take a botanist with you on a diplomacy mission to take biological samples while scanning the plants, etc.

But yeah, even just to be able to demote BOFFs and have DOFFs take their places somehow or vice versa. Not sure how it would work with equipment and training, etc. Would you have to totally retrain your DOFF to become a BOFF, or would you get some amount of skill points equivalent to what your BOFF had already to train your DOFF with when they move up to BOFF? Hmm... Well, anyway... Just something to consider for future iterations / seasons.