Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
With the proposed changes from Gecko, we will all have to spend 25% of our skill points into ground skills. How do you see this affecting pvp?

Quote:
•We are looking at splitting Ground and Space skill points - around a 75:25 ratio between Ground and Space. This is being tried for several reasons - the main reason is to help prevent players from putting all their points into space, and then not being effective on the ground. It also helps make PvP more accessible to casual players by leveling the skill point playing field (players who split their skills because they play ground and space could not compete with a player who put all their points into space or ground alone).
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=245115
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
You'll have to become more selective on what you're putting points into. Some might get a little weaker defense wise, others will pack a bit less of a punch. I don't see a hole lot changing since we all will have to put the same amount of points into ground. Over all anyone who puts points only into space, like most pvpers will get weaker. Heavy PvEers will stay about the same.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Yay! Wild speculation time! It won't affect it at all; in fact, it'll be better!

Regardless, I think you also forgot to post that they're changing point values for skills at different ranks. They're also adjusting the SP Total, so that 75% may be 60000 points, 80,000 points, whatever. So, that 75% in Space may not go quite as far as it would now, might be equal, might go a bit further. WE DON'T KNOW. Until the first iteration is posted on Tribble, NOBODY knows.

How about we see what the split looks like, *then* see how things roll? Or, is that just too rational for these boards?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Im looking forward to the changes. I like space PvP but at the same time i enjoy the STFs and being able to have manditory ground skill xp invested will be of some comfort
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-20-2011, 12:37 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Yay! Wild speculation time! It won't affect it at all; in fact, it'll be better!

Regardless, I think you also forgot to post that they're changing point values for skills at different ranks. They're also adjusting the SP Total, so that 75% may be 60000 points, 80,000 points, whatever. So, that 75% in Space may not go quite as far as it would now, might be equal, might go a bit further. WE DON'T KNOW. Until the first iteration is posted on Tribble, NOBODY knows.

How about we see what the split looks like, *then* see how things roll? Or, is that just too rational for these boards?
Yup, the post also indicates that they will change the cost of some skills (particularly higher tier skills becoming cheaper than now). Overall I think whatever the precise implementation, the effect will be minimal. Maybe it will cause some headaches for some as they redefine their builds (again!), but everyone is working at the same baseline.

The real bad consequence is probably that anyone that spends respecs between now and after the change has essentially wasted them, as he'll have to figure out his next build anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-20-2011, 04:24 AM
Ahhhhh, didn't see this thread, I just made one lol

I'm not a fan of it, luckily I still have 15 toons to spec since the last skill tree change. But its BS, they should have done all the changes at the same. Just fells like a massive waste of time and money trying to learn the current one, for what? all of a month.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-20-2011, 04:34 AM
Quote:
How do you think having 25% less points in space skill will affect pvp?
Not one bit ion the long run. Maybe slightly slower combat at first until those whom know how to PvP learn the new tricks of the trade and firmly float to the top again.
The level of play in PvP for the causl first timer trying it out will still be what we experience now and only those whom put real effort into PvP will see an increase in enjoyment, those coming in expecting the game to level the playing field for them will stil be dispaointed that thier Kirk/Chang-ism will be ineffective as it was before without the knowledge to back it up.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
The real bad consequence is probably that anyone that spends respecs between now and after the change has essentially wasted them, as he'll have to figure out his next build anyway.
That's me, wasted all my remaining free respecs - and bought a couple for my oldest character who didn't have any remaining...That said, it's my own fault...
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Maybe if the ground game wasn't pure trash of the highest order people might want to play it. This will hit certain classes harder than others due to the strange way they split the skill tree up after the season 5 patch.