Lt. Commander
So you think denying Cryptic your money will 'teach them a lesson'? Bring the game back to how it used to be?

It won't.

Take a look at the people who've paid hundreds of dollars for gift boxes. In 24 hours, they've contributed more money to Cryptic than most of the players who've been here since day one.

That's the target audience. Not you.

And the game, for what little game there is, will be reworked to extract as much disposable income from these people as possible. It's just good business.

Funny really. When CCP flaunted the NeX store and 70-dollar monocles to their players; the Eve community united as one - making their protests clear and direct. End result being a public apology from the CEO and the best expansion since Apocrypha.

The STO community, when faced with a similar shift in direction, chose to bicker and squabble amongst itself in the desperate game of one-upmanship beloved of forum 'personalities'. End result? Dilithium and Ship Lotteries.

At least NGE refugees will find themselves at home here.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
So you think denying Cryptic your money will 'teach them a lesson'? Bring the game back to how it used to be?

It won't.

Take a look at the people who've paid hundreds of dollars for gift boxes. In 24 hours, they've contributed more money to Cryptic than most of the players who've been here since day one.

That's the target audience. Not you.

And the game, for what little game there is, will be reworked to extract as much disposable income from these people as possible. It's just good business.

Funny really. When CCP flaunted the NeX store and 70-dollar monocles to their players; the Eve community united as one - making their protests clear and direct. End result being a public apology from the CEO and the best expansion since Apocrypha.

The STO community, when faced with a similar shift in direction, chose to bicker and squabble amongst itself in the desperate game of one-upmanship beloved of forum 'personalities'. End result? Dilithium and Ship Lotteries.

At least NGE refugees will find themselves at home here.

It makes me sad that I don't think you're wrong. Maybe if we were able to unite as well, things would be different. Unfortunately you don't see enough "I'm never going to buy a "lotto" box, and way too many "I've spent a bazillion, this is wrong!". You can't reward a company with your cash and THEN tell them that this particular cash-grab s wrong. Wrong? How could it be wrong when they consistently make a ton of money off it?
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I am unfamiliar with the monocle thing inEVE. How does one organize a community in such a way as you mentioned?

And do you think there is any hope of me having half as much fun in STO in 2012 as I did in 2010 and first quarter 2011?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Generally I think the player base on Eve is more mature. They get the wow-fanboys and the trolls the same as any other, but in Eve you can usually get rid of them by irritating them so much that they ragequit, and its actually acceptable in that game to do it. lol

So when stuff like the Monocle of Ultimate Money-grubbing is introduced the player base is more able to unite and tell CCP what they think.

And it seems to me that CCP is more receptive of players feedback and wants than Cryptic is.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:

You're a little late to the party. The war was over long before now.

The deal with EvE was over the idea that they may sell ships and items in the store, thus undercutting the player economy, and furthermore that they could sell "gold ammo" (read: power).

STO has been selling ships and items for almost as long as it's been up and running, and they upgraded to "gold ammo" with the Rhode Island. THAT was our war, and we lost it long ago. We were on the ropes with the Excelsior and the Rhode Island was the killing blow.

This ain't the war. This ain't the breaking point. This is just the standard victory moment we see in your typical FPS where the winner stands over the loser and repeatedly hits the crouch button...
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Quote:
The problem here is: It wasn't the protests in JITA that changed anythuing - it was the 20% loss in subscribers (IE all the folks that cancelled their subscriptions over the first 6 weeks) that brought the apology and changes.

- There was also the fact that DUST 514 cost them more money to complete and markket then they realized; coupled with the dissapointment it WASN'T going to be directly tied into EVE Online proper, but was more a spinoff game set in the EVE Universe.

- Theyu HAD also stated numerous times by the EVE Devs and the CCP CEO that the "Captains Quarters" would be optional - and 'ship spinning' would remain; but if you were following - the first release said the Captain's Qurters was NOT optional - and the addon was frying video cards in older systems that played EVE fine before <--- And this was on top of Monicle gate.

Unfortunately, with the abolishment of subscriptions - and the fact that there are MORE tha n enough impusive people that ill gleefully spend their resnt/mortgage payment on C-Store gift packs; we (as a playerbase) don't have the power to change things by banding together, because (and this is true for any MMO); the vast majority of players don't bother to look at the forums or follow any news on STO via gaming suites - thgey log in, look at the new shinies and hit 'Purchase C-Points'.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher-Soldier
I am unfamiliar with the monocle thing inEVE. How does one organize a community in such a way as you mentioned?

And do you think there is any hope of me having half as much fun in STO in 2012 as I did in 2010 and first quarter 2011?
That depends on if your fun is directly tied into you getting the bug ship. If it is, then you might as well unsub and go play TOR or something.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-09-2011, 04:34 PM
ragequitting is an STO tradition dating back to beta
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Well, it is easier to unite 23 people.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Well, it is easier to unite 23 people.
Are you really suggesting that EvE has a smaller population than STO? Because EvE has been known to actually release population numbers, and it's been in the 300,000 range. Shortly after launch, after the initial drop off, it was suggested by Zinc that STO's was only north of 100,000 (their minimum target).