Lt. Commander
# 11
12-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
ragequitting is an STO tradition dating back to beta

Nah, ragequitting is a RPG tradition predating Everquest. Hell, I've had a player ragequit a dungeon of mine when I was DMing in pen & paper D&D.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-09-2011, 04:52 PM
My fun is tied to the ability to create and customize characters and enjoy an immersive experience in the Trek world. Even if that just means all I 'did in game' on a given day was write a full bio for one of my BOs.

I respect those who say they want the ship cause it's RP/ thematically appropriate for a character they have created in the game. I would have prefered the first word spoken of a STO holiday event in a Cryptic meeting was immidiatly smaked down with a wise leader saying "Good idea. Let's do it next year. Now everyone get back to fixing bugs/ glitches/ finishing content we promised months ago."

My fun took a hit with the bridge clone bug.

Then came the immersion destroying art / design issues:

Gears in social maps,
Horrible new ESD signs,
perfectly good (better then the new ones) stances being removed,
Mission replay from Ready room removed adding NO profit to STO,
Really, how could Cryptic have lost A PENNY by adding the replay button to UI and leaving the bridge option in ?!!!
STO logo on log out screen,
calling the rest of Season 4 'Season 5' when it's not,
The jerk hogging my favorite table in Club 47 -- he can't stand anywhere else?!!!
and on and on and on.

It's all of the things, the million little ways I used to take simple pleasure in just logging on (which caused me to buy most of the costume and bridge unlocks whether I wanted them or not just because I was happy to give Cryptic my money. I actually felt BAD because I was a lifer and wanted any excuse I coudl find to give them MORE money just because I liked the game).

It's all the little things they have removed/ dummed down from the game when we were told we would lose nothing. EP sat there on STOked and said NONE OF THE PLANS HAD changed !!!

That is why I am on the verge of rage quitting.

All due respect to the DS9 fans out there it is not because of the lotto for a ship from a series I hardly even watched.

It's the fact that the STO I loved is going down in flames and no sooner was there a little win on the deal over the ESD signs, some glimmer of hope that posting here could make things change for the better -- then to see that just like a political smear campaign made up to distract during an election the community was effectivly stopped from talking about anything but that stupid ship.

ARRGG!!!
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
Generally I think the player base on Eve is more mature.
I'm sorry, I had to stop here and read this over twice. I get that you said 'more mature' but 'mature' is not a term I'd normally associate with 'player base of Eve,' at least in the general. Though to be fair, 'sociopathic' doesn't really mean 'immature.' Carry on!

(Side-Note: Sigh. EVE really has some pretty space battle scenes. I continue to groove to the Dominion trailer.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
They get the wow-fanboys and the trolls the same as any other, but in Eve you can usually get rid of them by irritating them so much that they ragequit, and its actually acceptable in that game to do it. lol

So when stuff like the Monocle of Ultimate Money-grubbing is introduced the player base is more able to unite and tell CCP what they think.

And it seems to me that CCP is more receptive of players feedback and wants than Cryptic is.
I'd at least partly agree. Much of what fueled the Great Monocle Outrage was that (a) it wasn't even anything remotely close to being useful, and (b) it wasn't even something that could be used on the ship, since EVE doesn't even have characters in space stations!* It was a grossly overpriced cosmetic item. I suspect that someone misplaced a decimal point and someone in CCP was too proud to back down from it after several people actually bought it. =)

So I think we've just not seen anything violently egregious to that degree. Now, if Cryptic decided to sell the Odyssey class for $40....

ETA: Oh, who am I kidding. They could sell it for $80 and there wouldn't be enough outrage to light a candle.

* - Yet. At least as far as I know. If anyone wants a "soon" to end all "soons," look to how long it's taken CCP to implement space stations you can walk in!
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Well, it is easier to unite 23 people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Are you really suggesting that EvE has a smaller population than STO? Because EvE has been known to actually release population numbers, and it's been in the 300,000 range. Shortly after launch, after the initial drop off, it was suggested by Zinc that STO's was only north of 100,000 (their minimum target).
Pretty sure he was just joking. Time for that sense of humor update to your software.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
So you think denying Cryptic your money will 'teach them a lesson'? Bring the game back to how it used to be?

It won't.

Take a look at the people who've paid hundreds of dollars for gift boxes. In 24 hours, they've contributed more money to Cryptic than most of the players who've been here since day one.

That's the target audience. Not you.
That is the sad truth.

Quote:
And the game, for what little game there is, will be reworked to extract as much disposable income from these people as possible. It's just good business.
I wouldnt call every profit yielding business a good business.
Not even on a purly pragmatic business viewpoint: Look at the rage quiters... they might have payed more over the time if they had stayed.
A good business is a business where costumers come back.

Quote:
Funny really. When CCP flaunted the NeX store and 70-dollar monocles to their players; the Eve community united as one - making their protests clear and direct. End result being a public apology from the CEO and the best expansion since Apocrypha.

The STO community, when faced with a similar shift in direction, chose to bicker and squabble amongst itself in the desperate game of one-upmanship beloved of forum 'personalities'. End result? Dilithium and Ship Lotteries.

At least NGE refugees will find themselves at home here.
Actually there was a lot of "unity"... starting off from the das the Nova was announces up to prety much today.... But on that path too many simply gave up and left STO.
In that kind of discussions I happened to find mysefl on the same "side" as people I usualy disagree as a matter or priciples with A LOT of times.

I thing the rest is limitet to a number of people who do really even understand the problem and deffending Cryptic... people who deffend cryptic because they simply do not like people critizising and do not care about the subject.... and a few fanboys... And I could if that wouldnt be forbidden by forum rules put those down to about 4-5 names... that shout very loud and justify EVERYTHING Cryptic does.
If cryptic would officially sacrifise a newborn child to an evil god on every patchday to make the servers go better.. and some would critisize that.... they would say "why are you whining you want a working patch, dont you?"
And of course there are those "its just a game" types who simply dont care about anything.

So there was a big resistance... it just failed while all that was still on Tribble...

Reasons are 2: first the eves devs at least listen under presure.... Cryptic just doesnt care. Mainly because they believe: With f2p there will be enough new people anyway.

Also... we are not really willing to make sacrifises.
A few boycot the C-Store... but they still pay suscriptions. Even I - as ashamed as I am today of that.... bought some of that new shny KDF ships for their consoles.
Pay to win? Well it has been suggestet (not by me^^) just EVERYBODY who is "protesting" leave pvp as soon as a Hargh'Peng, later AMS appears... Nobody did that to force cryptic to take actions.
Stuff like that does not happen here.
The only ones with at least SLIGHT impact are not LTAs that leave.

And so... things wont get better.
And either there are enough falling for THAT CRAP woth f2p... wich means they continue that cause of action...or the game ends soon for good becasue they are out of money.
And I'm starting to hope for the later.

Remember: f2p has a big promotional effect... but that works only ONCE.... if they hound out the new guys coming Jan 17th just like they do it with us... and I thing they will.... there is no second chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
Well, it is easier to unite 23 people.
So its harder to unite 7 then 23 people? Because that should be about the relation STO/EVE population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

Nah, ragequitting is a RPG tradition predating Everquest. Hell, I've had a player ragequit a dungeon of mine when I was DMing in pen & paper D&D.
I thing there is more then just 1 kind of ragequiting.
Of course ragequiters are in every game. And in STO especally in the Beta people had expecations that could not be matched.

But the more recent ones are IMO more legit, the reasons they give for quiting are in most cases justyfied. That were not those guys coming in and screaming "Why isnt that EXACTLY like WOW? Why cant I be Kirk?"
That were repectet PVPers, Foundry autthors, active members of this comunity.
And remember: that were people who did stay and invest time and money here next to a year with the only new content beeing new bugs.
I thing that is a big difference.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher-Soldier
And do you think there is any hope of me having half as much fun in STO in 2012 as I did in 2010 and first quarter 2011?
If you dont care others can have more/better then you because they spend more time or real money, then imo you will have just "as much fun in STO in 2012 as I did in 2010 and first quarter 2011." If not more.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Are you really suggesting that EvE has a smaller population than STO? Because EvE has been known to actually release population numbers, and it's been in the 300,000 range. Shortly after launch, after the initial drop off, it was suggested by Zinc that STO's was only north of 100,000 (their minimum target).
I tried EvE for a few days last month...

... when ya log into the game, it tells ya how many folks are playing at that moment...

It was somewhere around 30K to 40K the few times I logged in.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.R.O.P.H.E.T.
Pretty sure he was just joking. Time for that sense of humor update to your software.
I require no software. I gain information naturally, through the assimilation of genetic material in which information has been chemically coded into the junk portions of it's DNA. This may seem strange to you, but when the mothership arrives you... will... learn.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
It was somewhere around 30K to 40K the few times I logged in.
"Active Subscriptions" =/= players online at any one given minute...
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Quote:
I require no software. I gain information naturally, through the assimilation of genetic material in which information has been chemically coded into the junk portions of it's DNA. This may seem strange to you, but when the mothership arrives you... will... learn.
...or be eaten...

Quote:
Originally Posted by openair View Post
"Active Subscriptions" =/= players online at any one given minute...
Is that how they do it... I had no clue... (still don't)...