Lt. Commander
# 21
12-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
I tried EvE for a few days last month...

... when ya log into the game, it tells ya how many folks are playing at that moment...

It was somewhere around 30K to 40K the few times I logged in.
That's not total population, that's current online users. Do you really think STO has more concurrent users? The most frequented hubs don't have a plethora of instances, and the population caps on them are quite low. To be frank, I'd be surprised if STO hit 10,000 concurrent users at peak hours.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-09-2011, 05:16 PM
There are far too many significant differences between what happened with the CCP/EVE Online community and what has/is happening with ours. Making such a comparison is ludicrous imo. For example, that game had no basis to present such cash shop items to its players since it never had a cash shop to begin with unlike our game.
Lt. Commander
# 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
That's not total population, that's current online users. Do you really think STO has more concurrent users? The most frequented hubs don't have a plethora of instances, and the population caps on them are quite low. To be frank, I'd be surprised if STO hit 10,000 concurrent users at peak hours.

And yet rubberbanding still happens...
Lt. Commander
# 24
Quote:
Heh... see above.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
There are far too many significant differences between what happened with the CCP/EVE Online community and what has/is happening with ours. Making such a comparison is ludicrous imo. For example, that game had no basis to present such cash shop items to its players since it never had a cash shop to begin with unlike our game.
Exactly. If STO had launched without a C-store and now for the first time they were trying something like CCP did that would be comparable.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyNY View Post
Heh... see above.
Mm. EvE's record, concurrent, was about 240,000. That was a fluke though. Pretty much everyone was there. They peaked around 300,000 total I believe and were steadily raising over time (which is almost unheard of in an MMO, as numbers usually go down). Then they had their little snafu and the population dropped about 30%. I believe it's recovered some, but I don't believe it's back to where it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

And yet rubberbanding still happens...
That's probably a Cryptic/You problem, with some issue between you and their server farm. I don't have a lot of connection issues personally.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Exactly. If STO had launched without a C-store and now for the first time they were trying something like CCP did that would be comparable.
I disagree on that.
At the beginning A LOT of people did complain about the very existing of the c-store. And it had just the playable federation Klingon and Ferengie. But it was supposed to sell just vanity items. People quitet anyway.
Then this promise was broken, ships came, people complained and people left, Cryptic promised they would always be "balanced" to the ships that were free ingame. That was already up to discussion.
Then the Nova, now that...

They did it more slowly here but the problem is the same and as we learned today the outcome far worst.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by openair View Post
If you dont care others can have more/better then you because they spend more time or real money, then imo you will have just "as much fun in STO in 2012 as I did in 2010 and first quarter 2011." If not more.
I am not a PvPer. I am an old school Pen&Paper RPGer who thought that maybe the Star Trek 'main line' universe could live on in this game. For the better part of 2 years it did for me. I met lots of new friends and had lots of fun. I played hardly any PvP and if you subtract all the PvP matches I was ever in I would have had just about the same amount of fun during that time.

I love ground combat and don't care that much for ship combat. Iove seeing my toons running around in the outfits I have customized for them. I spend long hours customizing my ships too. I research names, dates, catalogue systems, historical events and such to pick out just the right name and sometimes registry number to add the finishing touch so that my ships will be just right even though I mostly think of them as just a way to get from one ground mission to the next. I did a sleeping beauty ship and I looked up the scientific classicifation number for that 'story/ plot type' sub catagory of folk tale so that I could use it for the ships registry.

Now, because Cryptic has removed/ replaced things in the game that used to be fun, many of those fun things I did can never happen in the game again.

One night some dude I didn't know 'hired' me to play the role of security guard for him during his application interview for a fleet. I ran to the tailor and got a 'men in black/ secret service' uniform with communication piece in the ear so I could sit around at a table in Club 47 and watch the door while I was 'on duty'. I actually spent a night of play just sitting at a table with this dude letting him know who had entered the club while we waited for his interviewer -- who never showed up. I sat around just being in character, feeling nervous when people on the floor pulled out weapons, etc. -- and it was one of the most memorable nights I have ever had in the game.

Something like that or any other cool RP thing involving that table at Club 47 -- the only table where you can sit with someone and have your character where they would be able to keep the front door in line of sight -- can never happen again because there is an npc bla bla bla ing away at the table.

So no. My fun does not depend on if other people have more/cooler/better drops (or however they got them) than me.

But I had a blast using Uhura's com device for my secret service ear piece.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Mm. EvE's record, concurrent, was about 240,000. That was a fluke though. Pretty much everyone was there. They peaked around 300,000 total I believe and were steadily raising over time (which is almost unheard of in an MMO, as numbers usually go down). Then they had their little snafu and the population dropped about 30%. I believe it's recovered some, but I don't believe it's back to where it was.

That's probably a Cryptic/You problem, with some issue between you and their server farm. I don't have a lot of connection issues personally.

I wouldn't put it past being a Charter (my isp) issue even though I have 100mb internet, but it's only been happening to me since tribble moved to live. So I think maybe people coming back to check things out might be straining their servers? But, if you haven't seen any issues it could be the packet routing of my isp.

Sorry all, I know this was off-topic.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Both of these.