Lt. Commander
# 51
12-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
Stringing along is easier than creating content. Takes a great deal less resources.
pretty much, I can remember the exodus after the 45 day patch never materialized after launch, they can spout whatever empty promises they care to, until I am playing it it doesn't exist.

It's such a weak tactic too, and it shows a real lack of leadership at cryptic, there isn't a vision or sense of direction, just haphazardly put together games with features that collide and divide players.

Perhaps it's a budget problem, or a symptom of the game engine being so in house and specific to cryptic?

There was so much potential in STO at launch, and I doubt we will ever see the game achieve it, it's just too....wonky? hard to describe but it just seems unpolished and thrown together, the more I play other games the more glaring it is when I log in.

For example I popped in mass effect 2 last night and realized just how much work STO's ui needs, and how much polish it takes to get a real sci fi feel to a game. We need more effects like transparent floating screens and readouts, little devices that glow and sound effects that immerse us. The biggest barrier I think is just the way the game looks visually, the UI is awful and covers the excellent graphics with chunky bright blue or red squares, with big ugly buttons that seem dragged out of windows 95.
Lt. Commander
# 52
12-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
This one? Just checking before I reply.......
and a shameless bump. After so long waiting, one gets a little impatient.
Yup

/10 char
Lt. Commander
# 53
12-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
You have a better chance of seeing a 4.5% unemployment in the united states
Ouch, that hurts.
Lt. Commander
# 54
12-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
After somebody aked for the state of the Romulan Star Empire I wanted to ask about the KDF.

When are we on the red side honestly going to expect new PVE and PVP content, free ships skins and more options?
New Klingon variants for free? Never. They've made so much money selling costumes as new ships that there's no business reason for them to offer up any new ship art assets for free again. Whenever they release a new T2 or T3 "ship" we clamor for and thank them for it, so they've got no reason to do that.

Heck, they're even getting people to send them hundreds of dollars for art assets that already exist in-game! Why would they suddenly start offering a juicy new revenue-stream up for free again?
Lt. Commander
# 55
12-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathen666 View Post
Yup

/10 char
Cool, let me prepare a response worthy of it....
Lt. Commander
# 56
12-13-2011, 01:10 PM
What KDF revival?

Thoough I am seriously tickled pink with all the KDF players I'm seeing lately.. Maybe it'll motivate the suits at Cryptic studio's to get on with it as far as KDF mission content.

Over the last 30 days I would have to say the number of KDF player at least from the view of the Mk-I eyeball have increased ten fold or more. Maybe if the players arethere the Dev's will finally motivate and get cracking on the content.

The one thing they really need to do is STOP pushing the bug fixes to Tribble first and push them right to Holodeck... SInce the build moved over tribble has nearly been abandonded. Players are still having issues with the very last part of "The house always wins" (I have two recent KDF toons that have simply dropped it and moved on... waiting for the dev's to get it right is a waste of my time..)

What I'm really hoping is the suits at Cryptic wake up and remember the "Golden rule of Business" which is the simplest of all... Them who has the gold make the rules" .

We are the ones with the gold and it is time to dump the 20 year old paradyme about "Trek fans will buy anything that has star trek on it" because it is no longer true. The public is much better informed today then at any time in history.

I know that the longer I wait to see the KDF mission content the more ornery I get about it, and the more likely I will make sure that incoming new player know that the game is NOT a complete experience.. I have no issues with turning up the heat under Cryptic. It's MY money.

Word of mouth is the absolutly best advertising a product can have... or the worst.. which it is depends totally on the product. If Cryptic get too stupidly short term greedy then the long term revenue potential of this title will never be fully realized. Oh, don't get me wrong. Cryptic and PW will make money, but they wont make the money they could have.
Lt. Commander
# 57
12-13-2011, 04:56 PM
[quote=Heathen666;3903247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post

Well they've been recruiting but still appears to be a good few vacancies left to fill, so ruling out resources is not certain (besides new recruits will take 3-6 months to get up o speed)
Time... Currently heads down training new staff and prepping for F2P.

So in summary... Still a while to go before the KDF are at a minimum level of acceptability.
Quality I'd agree with... Tons of good ideas and when Cryptic does quality missions they are very good.
Cryptic can crank out quality when the have the fire under them, though I hear even CO is having flare-ups so the company as a whole may be a littlwe shaky still. Hopefully more new hires and the talents that brings (as well the manpower) will move to help the situuation as a whole.
I keep hope but its easy to do so as a lifer. Its the paying subbers that rally need the sign of "more" and "better" to remain interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-NRG
Read again, they love it so much, they so love it!

/hands Roach a glasses BIG ones.
/recommends roach, damn, dude, lay that thing off!

Well some things never change. Me yapping and screwing up rotation.
<<<<<< takes one from the glass and passes left>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemaraa_Iron_Hand_KBF View Post
What KDF revival?

Thoough I am seriously tickled pink with all the KDF players I'm seeing lately.. Maybe it'll motivate the suits at Cryptic studio's to get on with it as far as KDF mission content.

Over the last 30 days I would have to say the number of KDF player at least from the view of the Mk-I eyeball have increased ten fold or more. Maybe if the players arethere the Dev's will finally motivate and get cracking on the content.

The one thing they really need to do is STOP pushing the bug fixes to Tribble first and push them right to Holodeck... SInce the build moved over tribble has nearly been abandonded. Players are still having issues with the very last part of "The house always wins" (I have two recent KDF toons that have simply dropped it and moved on... waiting for the dev's to get it right is a waste of my time..)

What I'm really hoping is the suits at Cryptic wake up and remember the "Golden rule of Business" which is the simplest of all... Them who has the gold make the rules" .

We are the ones with the gold and it is time to dump the 20 year old paradyme about "Trek fans will buy anything that has star trek on it" because it is no longer true. The public is much better informed today then at any time in history.

I know that the longer I wait to see the KDF mission content the more ornery I get about it, and the more likely I will make sure that incoming new player know that the game is NOT a complete experience.. I have no issues with turning up the heat under Cryptic. It's MY money.

Word of mouth is the absolutly best advertising a product can have... or the worst.. which it is depends totally on the product. If Cryptic get too stupidly short term greedy then the long term revenue potential of this title will never be fully realized. Oh, don't get me wrong. Cryptic and PW will make money, but they wont make the money they could have.
I can not debate your wisdom.

Question for any whom knows, IS not the Tribble build a slightly different game format (or once was slightly different) and that could explain some of the new bugs we got on the transfer from Trib to HOlodeck, or did that change under the completely new system?
Lt. Commander
# 58
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemaraa_Iron_Hand_KBF View Post
We are the ones with the gold and it is time to dump the 20 year old paradyme about "Trek fans will buy anything that has star trek on it" because it is no longer true. The public is much better informed today then at any time in history
I hate to mention this, but if anything proves that 40 (not 20) year old paradigm is stiill true, it's the fact that Cryptic just put a Winter Holiday Package (aka Red Gify Box) on the C-Store for 100 CP which has a chance opon opening to award the player hith a Hem Hadar 'Bug Ship' - and by all accoounts this ONE item alone has been the most profitable thing for Cryptic on the C-Store since tje STO C-Store was opened.

As for the KDF revival - I REALLY do hope there is finally the "One KDF Content Patch that Brings KDF Content Up To And Equal With The Federation Faction Content" (as has been promised by the STO Dev team and confirmed by a StormShade post.)
^^^

That said, given the evidence of Cryptic fiully following through and KEEPING their collective word when it comes to STO content/improvements - I'll believe it when I actually see it patched to the LIve server and can log iin and play it.
Lt. Commander
# 59
12-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Yea I honestly cannot belive how badly folks sucked into that one (red gift box on the C-store). I recal some posting on the forums about lottery laws while this has been going on. But considering virtual property is not real property, and that techincally Cruptic ownes everything on its game servers.. we just get to play the game. Well theres not much of a leg to stand on, on the other hand I suspect that there is reason to belive that Cryptic needed to have posted the odds on getting any one particular item out of the red gift box when they started selling it on the C-store.. thats where a lawyer friend of mine says they are on damd shaky ground.... Especoaly in the State of Califonia where Cryptic is based. If smeone makes a complaint to the state revenue board they could esily find themselves in a very sticky position. While not a contest per say they are charging money and the laws conserning contests and lotteries in California are in place just to prevent the type of abuse that appears to be happening. California courts have passed ruleings on virtual property that has stood up under appeal, so I strongly suggest Cryptic cease and disist on being clever before it bites them where the sun don't shine. We pay them to be creative and make an MMO we play.. Leve clever where it belongs.. in the hands of real estate and used car salesmen.

But, I digress. I'm not going to give Cryptic money for something that "might" have one of three items I would like to have in game. For that matter I'm flat refusing to make any micro transaction purchases untill I see a great deal more KDF mission content. As of Cryptic studio's last promise to this effect they can look forward to not making so much as a single red cent off of me before 3rd quarter 2012 assuming they can stay on scedule. And even then its going to be no joy if I see a alot of bugs in what is released.

I myself allready made it clear I would do no more testing for them gratis on Tribble. They're not paying me.. I payed them. Once I get delivered what I payed for... then.. I'll reconsider my personal position and not a moment sooner.

I here by nominate Cryptic Studio's for the 2011 Flying Fickle Finger of Fate award.. This is definatly one you do not want in the lobby display case though. Previous recipiants of this "uncoveted" award included then Los Angeles Chief of Police, Ed Davis who suggested that "gallows" be put in all airports for the hijackers so they could be hung on the spot; the City of Cleveland for their Cuyahoga River (It caught fire due to its high pollution levels); and a Wonderful Wiggler went to William F. Buckley for his philosophy "Never clarify tomorrow, what you can obscure today." Top awards went to the Pentagon. They won five times. I'm pretty sure the Cryptic studio's have been channeling William F Buckley big time.
Lt. Commander
# 60
12-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Well said.

I was brought my brother into the game yesterday. He wnated to try KDF after creating a Fed toon, but he was astonished when I said him he couldn't and what he only could do as KDF

I hope Cryptic soon give us some hard evidence they are working on new KDF stuff.