Lt. Commander
# 11
12-18-2011, 06:16 AM
I absolutely hate the idea of removing the skill tree. Customization is a big part of what makes RPGs fun and interesting. The problem is actually that the skill tree was condensed too tightly (as demonstrated further by there being no skill to boost PH) and skill investment became too expensive.

The skill tree really should have had a basic and advanced option. In basic the points would be spent evenly and broadly while advanced would allow players who are interested in it to tweak their builds in a more detailed manner.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
Customization is a big part of what makes RPGs fun and interesting.
usually, yes.
in STO? not so much.

in STO are multiple reasons why it would be better to be able to switch stuff around on the fly (without getting bad numbers as a result).

you can switch BOffs with different abilities, (for example when you swap ships, or need another SCI boff to counter Breen abilities...)
you can swap KITs on your ground char on the fly, i often do so before the Boss in an STF.

if i min / max into one specific thing, i only will make sure that i run against a wall as soon as the game throws something new at me.

customization is everywhere in STO,
but the skilltree is only limiting your effectiveness as soon as you switch stuff around.

what makes you special is not the yellow numbers over your enemies head, but how you USE the skills.

and finally:
please go to google, and do a picture search for "Skilltree"

look around a bit...
maybe you will "get it" then?
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I "get it" I just don't agree with it. The skill tree, as it exists in STO, does need loads of work though.