Lt. Commander
# 1 Something to keep in mind
12-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I just saw this bit of insight/wisdom from CO's Tumerboy come up in the dev feed for Champions Online, and figured it should be posted over here as well.

Link to the original post

Quote:
My views on game forums in general:

- forums are always a small subset of actual players.
- forum goers, while a representative sample of players, do not represent the rest of the player base 100% accurately due to the fact that only the passionate and motivated will participate in the forums.
- forums automatically trend toward the negative, as people (in general) are much more likely to make their feelings known when they are dissatisfied, and less likely when they are content.
- all game forums are on fire all the time. If you never played any games, and just went by their forums, you would think all games are horrible pieces of trash, the developers hate everyone, eat babies and only want money. This is true for any game forums you can name. Skyrim's forums are equal in rage to CO's, STO's, WoW's and anything else.
- due to the previous points, if you talk to 100 gamers for any given game, who do NOT participate in that game's forums, about any subject of rage on said forums, you will find some people who are equally upset, some who like whatever it is, and many (I dare say the majority) who are ambivalent/don't care one way or the other.

Due to all of the above, you guys, CO's forums, do have a definite impact on our decisions. If you, the wiki, and the builder went away tomorrow, there would be a definite impact. However, the game would not shut down without you. The majority of players would never even notice. Those that DID notice might be outraged, but most would continue playing oblivious to the change.

As such, it is my firm belief that things are NEVER as bad as the forums would have you believe. We take your feedback seriously, and we want to hear what you think, all the time. BUT! We HAVE to take all of that feedback with a grain (or sometimes a handful) of salt. Your feedback is VERY important, but it will never be the only factor in our decisions.
TL;DR Version: Remember, percentage-wise, active forum users do not represent anywhere close to 100% of the player-base of the game. This will continue to remain true, even more so, after the F2P launch in January. Please, fellow players, keep this in mind.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Its a fair post, and exactly something I'd expect to the Cryptic PR department to allow be posted.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ~,_. . . ..~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .=,_. . . .-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .=-._. . .;,,./`. . / . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Its definitely going to ruffle some people's feathers, but its absolutely true. The forums do not accurately represent the feelings of the entire playerbase.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Its definitely going to ruffle some people's feathers, but its absolutely true. The forums do not accurately represent the feelings of the entire playerbase.
But you can always go to the Earth Spacedock to see for yourself.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Let's find out shall we ?

The Old Republic Beta had surveys ingame that popped up randomly and asked you to give ratings on what you were doing.

Example:

How likely would you be to recomend STO ?
A - Never
B - Likely
C - Absolutely

Comments:

----------------------

More Questions:

How would you rate this mission ?

How would you rate the rewards for this mission ?

What is your current activity ?

How would you rate your current activity ?

Do you like X ?

What do you think of Y ?

If those in the game are the majority then putting those questions IN the game will yield the reactions of that majority.
Addtionally, I challenge Cryptic to put up an ONLINE counter on the launch screen that says EXACTLY how many people are logged onto the game at any one point and a graph on the main site that shows the Online activity for a week.

EVE Online manages 20 - 50k Online pretty consistantly.
If the amount of players in the game are the majority... I want to see how big that majority is. I

However, since Cryptic are spinless they wont do this for fear that it will reveal just how poorly this game is doing.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
However, since Cryptic are spinless they wont do this for fear that it will reveal just how poorly this game is doing.
So how many games actually do that? Does WoW? Will TOR? Does that make them spineless if they dont?
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
But you can always go to the Earth Spacedock to see for yourself.
^^this

Anyone who's so gullible as to be won over by the company line that the people on the forums are but a 'whiny minority' need only look at the ESD zone chat at any given moment of the day to realize that this simply isn't so.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
If those in the game are the majority then putting those questions IN the game will yield the reactions of that majority.
Addtionally, I challenge Cryptic to put up an ONLINE counter on the launch screen that says EXACTLY how many people are logged onto the game at any one point and a graph on the main site that shows the Online activity for a week.
Agreed. Lets see them put their money where their mouth is.

Have random surveys to rate the game/missions/etc pop up and offer players small chunks of refined Dilithium for completing them.

I'll upgrade the *opinions* of Cryptic's PR to facts when and if numbers appear.

Otherwise all we have is opinions, and I value mine more than most peoples' on the internet, especially over companies.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminMaxwell View Post
^^this

Anyone who's so gullible as to be won over by the company line that the people on the forums are but a 'whiny minority' need only look at the ESD zone chat at any given moment of the day to realize that this simply isn't so.
You missed the point of Tumerboy's post. It doesnt matter whether the conversation is taking place on the forums or in ESD zone chat. Unless the majority of the playerbase are involved in the conversation then it doesnt represent the majority of the playerbase. Again, the location is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is what % of the playerbase are involved in the conversation.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You missed the point of Tummerboy's post. It doesnt matter whether the conversation is taking place on the forums or in ESD zone chat. Unless the majority of the playerbase are involved in the conversation then it doesnt represent the majority of the playerbase. Again, the location is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is what % of the playerbase are involved in the conversation.
So in effect they have evolved from "The forum doesn't represent the masses" to "no form of communication linked to the game whatsoever represents the masses."

How convenient.
Closed Thread