Lt. Commander
# 11
12-11-2011, 12:57 PM
I think the point is so that people who do have the time (which, incidentally, isn't me!) do have something to work towards to get, and to show off. A reason to keep playing and something to make it worth while, without being horribly imbalanced for everyone else.

I actually think they've done a good job and have the balance right with the STF rewards. You don't NEED to get the MKXI gear to do anything, and I think Cryptic are doing the right thing by having some gear (especially gear that is cosmetically distinct) that can't be bought but has to be earned through play.

I was lucky enough to get a MACO MKX ship shield requisition form on my first run of a new STF (Normal level, we didn't get the secondary objective), with a PUG. The MACO gear got a nice unique aesthetic. The MKX MACO stuff is not as good as my Aegis gear IMO, but that's also good, the Aegis gear required more work to get.

The STF rewards are mean to be endgame, if it could just be bought it would undermine that and upset a lot of players who *want* unique end game rewards for doing hard STFs (even though I don't personally have the time to put in for all the things I'd like).
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Unlike the bug ship everyone is able to get the costumes. It's just going to take months for some people.
Via months of grinding. GRINDING DOES NOT = CONTENT

It's boring and frustrating.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FridayUK View Post
I think the point is so that people who do have the time (which, incidentally, isn't me!) do have something to work towards to get, and to show off. A reason to keep playing and something to make it worth while, without being horribly imbalanced for everyone else.

I actually think they've done a good job and have the balance right with the STF rewards. You don't NEED to get the MKXI gear to do anything, and I think Cryptic are doing the right thing by having some gear (especially gear that is cosmetically distinct) that can't be bought but has to be earned through play.

I was lucky enough to get a MACO MKX ship shield requisition form on my first run of a new STF (Normal level, we didn't get the secondary objective), with a PUG. The MACO gear got a nice unique aesthetic. The MKX MACO stuff is not as good as my Aegis gear IMO, but that's also good, the Aegis gear required more work to get.

The STF rewards are mean to be endgame, if it could just be bought it would undermine that and upset a lot of players who *want* unique end game rewards for doing hard STFs (even though I don't personally have the time to put in for all the things I'd like).
But it's the same principle with dilithium, and they introduced a cash for reward system there? So why not something similar here. Where you can trade/buy the gear from other players who are happy to grind for either cstore points or dilithium?
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_86
Via months of grinding. GRINDING DOES NOT = CONTENT

It's boring and frustrating.
In your opinion. Cryptic doesn't seem to agree.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averyl
please define casual player - how many hours you play a day / week ?
my definition of "casual player":
it's the kind of player that drops his sub after 30 days and says "this is to boring to pay more money for it"...
= crappy customer who won't leave much money in the game over time.

Cryptic's definition of casual player:
has a job, has lot's of money we can take from him, does not understand the game or spend enough time with it to understand how we exploit him for $$$. AWESOME CUSTOMER!

Lt. Commander
# 16
12-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoshiirRa View Post
Honestly, I'm in agreement here. My main issue with the grind-fest to get the endgame gear is that not all of us have the time to devote to STFs to get these cool new things. Sure we could PUG groups, but not all of us like doing that, or will even tolerate the "needfest" that looting has become nowadays.

My biggest beef with this is that it takes 5 STFs just to get one piece of the borg set that you used to get a piece of from each STF you did.

And don't let the Career Officer tag fool you, I've been in the casual player category ever since I started working again.
^ Also agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik

Perhaps the gear is not for the 'casual' player? Whatever that is.
Those are the players who don't make rude comments just to feel superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
In your opinion. Cryptic doesn't seem to agree.
^ When has cryptic given a damn about the playerbase? They see money only.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
my definition of "casual player":
it's the kind of player that drops his sub after 30 days and says "this is to boring to pay more money for it"...
= crappy customer who won't leave much money in the game over time.

Cryptic's definition of casual player:
has a job, has lot's of money we can take from him, does not understand the game or spend enough time with it to understand how we exploit him for $$$. AWESOME CUSTOMER!

Ive been playing since open beta and have subbed since the game opened. I like to think i know my way around the game, it's systems and tactics. I doesn't however mean i want to sit for hour after hour getting frustrated and bored repeating the same missions. If i wanted to be bored and frustrated i'd rather watch Eastenders.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Those are the players who don't make rude comments just to feel superior
There was no ill-intent in my post.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Really, what they should do is make all this stuff Bind on Equip. Then those who grind out more than they need, or simply aren't interested in the rewards, can sell them on the Exchange, and those who have the credits, but would rather not grind STFs, can buy them.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-11-2011, 01:43 PM
While I agree that it's not a good substitute for actual content, it's a time sink that has a good reward at the end, and people will spend a lot of their time working towards it. I'd expect to see a lot more content of this nature in the future too. Anything that keeps people playing (especially once it's F2P) is important for the game.

At best we can hope this is just a temporary measure to keep people interested until they can get the real content coming on a regular basis..