Lt. Commander
Ok, so I know we have a wide variety of musical preferences in this playerbase, and I myself am pretty eclectic in my tastes. However, at my core I will always be a fan of rock and metal first, and while listening to some old rock tunes today, I decided to ask the following: Who are the bands now that could spark a true resurgence of rock and metal back into the spotlight? Also, who will be the next individuals to really be the leading men and women in rock/metal?

I'll start off with my answers and why.

Bands:

Halestorm - I don't think I have ever heard a band that channels the old greats like GNR, Skid Row, Heart, and others all into one, but Halestorm might be it. They have that 80's style presence, and Lzzy Hale is beyond reproach with both her vocal and guitar ability. Definitely a band to watch.

Killswitch Engage - A band that is defined by amazing power and vocal range, Killswitch has been a major player for years. Admittedly their last album left a little to be desired and the current issue with their singer situation has the band's future a tad cloudly, yet they have come into their own musically. Definitely a main force going forward if they keep their lineup together.

The Agonist - A little under the radar still, Canadian band the Agonist has made a splash with their first two albums, and look to become a major player in the metal genre going forward. Vocalist Alyssa White-Gluz has a unique style with her clean and growl vocal ability, and their drummer and guitarist are top notch. Another band to keep an eye on.

Five Finger Death Punch - I can best describe these guys as a sort of Pantera of the 2000's. Heavy but melodic, with decent vocals. Every album I have heard of theirs seems to get better with depth, I just hope they don't tone down their sound too much to appease mainstream radio, I would rather they make it on the merits of what they do best.

Those are a few of what I see as bands leading the rock/ metal charge, and I know I could mention the big ones like Disturbed, Slipknot, Korn, etc. but those bands are actually already entering the second stages of their careers so while they are still industry leaders, bands like these will carry the torch for years to come.

As far as individuals to watch, just a few here:

Lzzy Hale: Halestorm's frontwoman, Lzzy is starting to make a strong case as the next great female rock vocalist. Look up their cover of Heart's "All I wanna do is Make Love To You" or Skid Row's "Slave To the Grind" and you will instantly see why.

Corey Taylor: The Slipknot/Stone Sour frontman is a multi-talented musician, and can really become the most recognizable face of both the rock and metal genres going forward with his talent.

Aaron Lewis: The Staind frontman has found success recently in the country genre, and has now gone back to working with Staind, but his versatility keeps him one to watch moving forward.

Honorable mentions: Simone Simons, Cristina Scabbia, Maria Brink, Joey Jordison