Lt. Commander
# 11
12-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Another possibility is to create a boxed in interior on an indoor map and have triggers, some question based and some arbitrary like area triggers. that determine what things are like outside of the area. Then spawn the necessary hit for what's outside and open the doors.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Placeholder interactions could be cool for friendly AI behaviors.

For example, if an Engineering Colonist is within x meters of a y prop, then add a dialogue or animation behavior. Suddenly, you can drop these preset characters into a map and they'll have lifelike interactions but be fed visual customization from the editor's palceholder.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-13-2011, 01:59 PM
I didn't post for a loooooong time but I'm glad to see that threads like this one still exist nowadays. Guys, clearly, your "vision" for the game is close from my dreamed STO. Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions you offered since pre-launch and keep up the good work.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
I didn't post for a loooooong time but I'm glad to see that threads like this one still exist nowadays. Guys, clearly, your "vision" for the game is close from my dreamed STO. Thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions you offered since pre-launch and keep up the good work.
It's another pipe-dream but finding ways of making okay-to-good quality content faster would help this game out.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Darren,

I really appreciate what you bring into the community in the means of a thought provoking discussion that no one wishes to talk about, not even the developers. You have since the launch of this title, been very consistent in the means of your very laid out proposals in which I hope that the developers are watching as they could learn a lot if they would only take into consideration your ideas.

Subject: Yet another exploration Mini-Proposal

In order for us to take advantage of this proposal, it has to reflected that the Universe is simply too small in regards to what the Universe should be and what it isnít. Exploration has seen VERY little in development, exception from what you have mentioned. Nevertheless, we need to ask why that is the case, is it that it isnít a priority, is it something that the developers arenít ready to take on? In addition, the list goes on and on as to the speculation of that question of why?

The Duty officer system does in fact bring a reflection of depth. At this point it is an isolated depthness that has no realistic direction outside of that UI in which it occurs. Good attempt, however it doesnít go far enough, perhaps that will change as that is what an MMO is but at this stage it remains to remain in its current form with some type of tweaks here and there.

If we look at the Duty Officer system, you should have the ability to physically take control of that character and perform those actions, even if that means directing your starship to the location or going to that location through the means of a shuttle or another means but now the system is limited in scope.

Generating Maps

I am not entirely sure if it is possible to do, but if they have the programming ability by that of a developer, they should be able to do something along these lines. The problem, we keep getting told that the engine is limit, it is only limit to the abilities of the programmer, and unfortunately, I think that is the case when it comes to Cryptic on things that many wish to see and are told the engine is limited, that is an excuse as I have stated above. I guarantee if I had the opportunity to put together a modding team to work on several problems, I could get them to do not only do that but much more than what we have seen in the means of such loss that could be included in the game. In addition, if they had the ability to allow the engine to self generate systems or that of mapping, a lot of the problems in which are related to the limited Universe we see currently could be resolved. Just for me to state I could get modders together to fix much of it, iam a former modder, which put good teams together on older titles and I know many people that given the opportunity they would jump on it, no question.

Continued - Villages

What would also be interesting is that just because you have mobs on an planet or another location, why do you have to kill them, why not be given certain triggers that if you do answer the question wrong that they will attack you at another location based on that decision? The federation isnít about killing people, if they can find another solution they will and you arenít given that option to choose. If you were on the Klingon side of course they would kill you or they would enslave you, which again gives you a bonus for controlling a control point or territory until which time someone comes along and destroys it by and through diplomacy or otherwise.

Mission Objectives as Stage Set

Ok, so Darren has some good ideas here which I donít object to. However, let us also expand this idea. You would have to perhaps mine some type of ore, material so on or obtain certain items that are needed to ensure that you can repair if you donít have the ability to do so, you could return, run into objection of another faction, which in turn you have do act diplomatic or forcing them to leave with action.

The game currently really lacks that of objectives, it has, which the community has expressed on multiple of levels. If you make a decision in which doesnít go well with your skill set or the prime directive or that of the other factions philosophy then you will come across problems, even that of being able to choose other directions in the game as whole is lacking. No consequences to those actions, it would be a welcomed change if that has occurred, in which it doesnít.

So, this is all I have on the subject at the moment, I welcome any criticism and welcome the expanding my own ideas.

Cheers,

Acidrain
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
It's another pipe-dream but finding ways of making okay-to-good quality content faster would help this game out.
Darren:

Imagine the exploration maps are your ship interior map. You do stuff on your interior which triggers the seed variables. The transporter room is actually positioned at the ground spawn point.

You step into the Transporter, hit energize, the ship assets dissolve, revealing a ground map that is seeded. Any players outside the Transporter room hit a loadscreen and get relocated to to the spawn point.

Thus, the ship interior becomes a soundstage for ground exploration maps, modified around the player.

In turn, space exploration would be maps transferred to from the Bridge or astrometrics.

Shuttle maps would trigger off of the shuttle bay.

The ship interior becomes a mission hub then with the bridge, astrometrics, the shuttle bay, and the transporter room as leaping off points.

My overall take would be to eliminate the nebulas. Instead, you click on "explore" from sector space and wind up in your ship interior, with warp streaks outside the windows. Your last location may function as a seed variable for missions available. The calendar system may be another seed variable.

But your ship interior IS the hub for exploration missions.

And upon completion of one, depending on the difficulty, I'd provide a range of options for which sector you emerge in. A really involved one could start in Sirius and give you an option to emerge in any sector block in the game. (You could make it the opposite to be less transparent, and have every exploration mission start with you "setting a course" and you get to spawn there on completion.)