Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
12-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
i think the DOff packs are way to cheap
Why? I haven't bought a single one on my fed and I have 95 crew with only 2 common ones.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Why is 2 some kind of "magic number"? Why not 125 so you can afford 3? Or just 100 so you can accord 4? I'm just curious why you think 2 is what people should be able to get with their monthly stipend.
I think 160 is fair because its 2 bucks. I think cryptic giving me two Doff packs for my monthly stipend is fair for both of us. Anything that cost more then a cup of coffee in my eyes no longer disposable income. 2 bucks is disposable in my opinion.

I'm not the kind of person who demands Cryptic give us everything for free / dirt cheap. They have to make money too otherwise they go out of business. 2 bucks is micro enough for me to feel like I'm not getting ripped off.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-12-2011, 01:48 PM
I think the duty officer packs are okay, not really necessary anyway, though I agree with those that say it'd be better if refugees weren't a possibility from them.

If anything, it is too easy to get DOffs right now. Recruitment missions pop up often enough. Really ought not to be able to buy them for dilithium after you get one with a token.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I also found it quite easy to fill up your Doff list with recruitment assignments. I could see no real reason to buy a pack unless you ... lack a bit of patience.

My problem now is that ive stopped playing with the Doff system because i cant keep track of what i have in my Doff lists (on 2 toons, one KDF other FED) Kinda lost its flair fast. Would have enjoyed to see that my security officers that i had sent on a re-enforce troops on [Insert planet] had gained perhaps a trait, or gone up in rarity because of battle scars. But its just doing the same thing over and over realy....

Or perhaps a neutral planet where both sides send Doffs to compete over untill the side that sent the most (or the most capable) wins and your side can beam down/access said planet for a day or 2 before it reverts to neutrality.... Although they'd have to put a cap on how many players each side are allowed to contribute since there's still a LOT more feds then KDF players.

sorry im going on and on here. short answer "no" i dont think it costs to much, it clearly sells, but for something that you dont realy need its adequate. Plenty of ingame ways to fill up your list.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-12-2011, 02:32 PM
It is generally cheaper to fleshen out your duty roster by doing the general Federation recruiting assignment on multiple alts, and just sending the packages to the main you're trying to get started. You can also mail the Lt.Commander, Commander, Captain and Admiral doff packs around if you don't mind a slow start on your already leveled alts. Or just the individual Doffs you think are worthwhile.

That said, the C-store packages do garantee one or two Rares in every pack. And the price isn't that bad if you compare them to some other stuff. Bridge packs, ship costumes, player costumes, the now-single-unlock character and space pets. And worst of all, the insignificant 20% skillboosts. (Does anyone buy those?)

Doffs are certainly more useful than any of those things. But yeah, there's really no need to buy them. If you've got some tiers in Diplomacy when you start, you can buy five purples and five blue doffs for about 90K Dilithium, which at the current dilithium exchange rate is anywhere between 180 and 200 CPoints worth. A lot more cost effective.

Correction: You get those Doffs for 72K Dilithiium. Forgot about the free ones from each tier you get a token for. So that's 144 to 160 Cpoints for eight.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I played around with buying DO Packs on the Test Server. It's just about like the holiday grab bag. Sometimes you'll get some really good DO's. Other times not so good.

And I noticed the DO System was much more fun to play once you've bought a few packs and got some good officers. That's the reason why I refuse to buy them. It's just a way to do assignments better and faster. Another form of Pay 2 Win. I'd rather not waste my money on it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
I probly wont buy any ever. I already have enough doffs with unscrupulous and aggressive (kdf) that are practically worthless, and a number of gray-quality geologists; I dont need over-priced packs giving me more of the same.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Yes, Gambit, I think they cost too much (i.e. more than zero :p ) So I won't buy them.