Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 41
12-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostamojen View Post
Torpedo spread is IIRC 85% of a High Yield for each target. That means even if you are hitting just TWO targets you are being more efficient with your damage output. Taking the time to target one without the spread fire abilities will slow you down quite a bit, which is why most people are using the spread abilities now.

And with STF's, probably 75% of the time you are able to take advantage of hitting multiple targets. Even hitting TWO of the transfer nodes at once (or regen probes in cure) can really help (if you get on top of one, like 1km away, you can be in range for another one too). Plus, all the other random spawns in the area can get hit by your weapons too (the Raptors in Cure, the Spheres in Khitomer Accord, etc.).

You WILL get a lot of agro with this method, which is why the builds I suggest are so defensively-orientated, because you WILL need to be able to take damage from multiple targets and survive. I tend not to rely on team mates to help keep me healed, but even if just one person is randomly giving you heals it will keep you alive in the Normal level STF's no problem.

As for Torpedo Spread 3... I left that out of the builds on purpose. If you are lucky enough to get that skill on a BO, sure go ahead and use it. But right now TS3 BO's are 20,000,000+ on the Exchange.
Wow, thanks a lot for the great advice, I'll go change my setup right now, may even get the TS3 BO if I like it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 42
12-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Quick Post back:

This guide is wonderful, though what I did for the MVAE was had one Tac Boff with CRF I, and the other one with CSV I.

But my setup is just like the OP's example of the MVAE except 1 CSV to CRF.

Thank you for the help with the build and for posting this guide (especially for a noob like me).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 43
12-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer5583
Quick Post back:

This guide is wonderful, though what I did for the MVAE was had one Tac Boff with CRF I, and the other one with CSV I.

But my setup is just like the OP's example of the MVAE except 1 CSV to CRF.

Thank you for the help with the build and for posting this guide (especially for a noob like me).
That works good too. Lets you run the Scatter Volley for the groups, rapid fire for the larger individual targets.

If you are tac officer you have the "faster BO recharge" ability, which will make the canon skills global cooldown irrelevant, allowing you to re-use one or the other for little while instead of switching.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 44
12-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen
<SNIP>

STF Escort Builds

And now, here are some examples of actual STF Escort builds for reference...


Advanced Escort or MVAM Escort

Forward Weapons: 3x Dual Heavy Cannons (same type), 1x Quantum Torpedo
Rear Weapons: 3x Turrets (same type as front cannons)

Engineering Consoles: EPS console (for Energy Transfer), Neutronium Alloy (For general damage resist)
Science Consoles: Assimilated Module (Borg Console), Graviton Generator, Biofunction Monitor (Or Grappler OR Impulse Capacitance Cell)
Tactical Consoles: 3x of the Energy Weapon type you are using (Ex. Phaser Relay, Plasma Infuser, etc.), 1x Zero Point Quantum Chamber (for Quantum Torpedoes)

Devices: Subspace Field Modulator (defensive buff, similar to Brace for Impact) plus one of the Following - Red Matter Capacitor, Rechargeable Shield Battery, Scorpion Fighters, or Shield batteries

Bridge Officer Skills (Advanced Escort) -

Commander Tactical: Tactical Team 1, Torpedo Spread 2, Canon Scatter Volley 2, Attack pattern Omega 3 (Omega will break Borg Tractor beams while Alpha and Beta will not)
Lt. Commander Tactical: Tactical Team 1, Torpedo Spread 2, Cannon Scatter Volley 2
Lt. Science: Transfer Shield Strength 1, Hazard Emitters 2 (these two are reversible if you wish)
Lt. Engineering: Emergency Power to Shields 1, Reverse Shield Polarity 1
Ensign Science: Tractor Beam

Bridge Officer Skills (MVAM Escort) -

Commander Tactical: Tactical Team 1, Torpedo Spread 2, Canon Scatter Volley 2, Attack pattern Omega 3
Lt. Tactical: Tactical Team 1, Canon Scatter Volley 1
Lt. Commander Science: Transfer Shield Strength 1, Hazard Emitters 2, Gravity Well 1
Lt. Engineering: Emergency Power to Shields 1, Reverse Shield Polarity 1
Ensign Tactical: Torpedo Spread 1
I routinely run almost all my ships with the Borg Assimilated Regenerative Shields without any problems. The reason they don't work well with the above set-up is because there is no Field Generator to boost their max shield level. Replace the Neutronium Armor with a Field Generator Mk XI to take full advantage of the Borg shield's high regen rate. Also, the last time I checked, resists are only effective with actual damage that hits the hull, namely bleed-through damage or unshielded direct hits. Since your shields take far more abuse than your hull, statistics favor reinforcing them first, then your hull next.

I run an MVAM with the following specs for elite space STF's:

-Weapons-
Fore: 3 Mk XI DHC's, 1 Mk XI quantum torpedo launcher
Aft: 2 Mk XI turrets, 1 chroniton mine launcher, quantum torpedo launcher, or tricobalt device launcher

Equipment: Omega Shields + Omega Deflector (for tetryon proc damage), Borg Engines

Consoles:
EPS Flow Regulator Mk XI, Field Generator Mk XI
Borg Assimilated Console, Point Defense System
4x +26% damage consoles

-Bridge Officer Skills-
Cmdr-Tactical: Tactical Team 1, CSV1, CSV2, AP-Omega3
Lt-Tactical: Torpedo Spread 1, Torp-Spread2
Lt.Cmdr-Sci:
--Crowd Management BO: Hazard Emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2, Tractor Beam Repulsors 2
--Tactical Cube Management BO: Hazard Emitters 1, Tykens Rift 1, Tyken's Rift2
--Tank Mode BO: Hazard Emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2, Transfer Shield Strength 3
Lt-Engineer: EPTS-1, EPTS2
Ensign Tactical: Tactical Team 1

Basically use Crowd Management mode for the initial combat phases. If you have trouble surviving, a Tank mode sci BO is available with multiple shield support skills to minimize system damage stats. Once you get to the elite tactical cubes, swap in Tykens1 + 2 to prevent 1-shot deaths of both yourself and your team mates.

Hope this helps...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 45
12-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar487
I routinely run almost all my ships with the Borg Assimilated Regenerative Shields without any problems. The reason they don't work well with the above set-up is because there is no Field Generator to boost their max shield level. Replace the Neutronium Armor with a Field Generator Mk XI to take full advantage of the Borg shield's high regen rate. Also, the last time I checked, resists are only effective with actual damage that hits the hull, namely bleed-through damage or unshielded direct hits. Since your shields take far more abuse than your hull, statistics favor reinforcing them first, then your hull next.

Lt.Cmdr-Sci:
--Crowd Management BO: Hazard Emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2, Tractor Beam Repulsors 2
--Tactical Cube Management BO: Hazard Emitters 1, Tykens Rift 1, Tyken's Rift2
--Tank Mode BO: Hazard Emitters 1, Transfer Shield Strength 2, Transfer Shield Strength 3

Basically use Crowd Management mode for the initial combat phases. If you have trouble surviving, a Tank mode sci BO is available with multiple shield support skills to minimize system damage stats. Once you get to the elite tactical cubes, swap in Tykens1 + 2 to prevent 1-shot deaths of both yourself and your team mates.

Hope this helps...
I just ran a RA with the regen Borg shields... The "normal" cubes sucked away almost all the shield power (down to just a sliver on each facing), while after I switched back to the Aegis the shields were only taken down to ~50% in the same situation. The following weapons fire from the cubes was able to penetrate the shielding while using the Borg regen shield, while the Aegis shield was able to keep going just fine.

This game has been unbalanced with Cap vs. Regen shields since day 1, a higher cap is almost always better sadly...

As for the Field Generator console, I always run that on the non-sci builds. I'll test running that instead of the Neutronium with the MVAM/Advanced to see how well that works.

I'm interested in your use of Tykens Rift to fight the Tac Cube though. I didn't think energy levels had huge effects on torp fire from PVE opponents.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 46
12-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostamojen View Post
I just ran a RA with the regen Borg shields... The "normal" cubes sucked away almost all the shield power (down to just a sliver on each facing), while after I switched back to the Aegis the shields were only taken down to ~50% in the same situation. The following weapons fire from the cubes was able to penetrate the shielding while using the Borg regen shield, while the Aegis shield was able to keep going just fine.

This game has been unbalanced with Cap vs. Regen shields since day 1, a higher cap is almost always better sadly...

As for the Field Generator console, I always run that on the non-sci builds. I'll test running that instead of the Neutronium with the MVAM/Advanced to see how well that works.

I'm interested in your use of Tykens Rift to fight the Tac Cube though. I didn't think energy levels had huge effects on torp fire from PVE opponents.
Energy levels won't affect the torpedo fire but a Tyken's will cripple a Cube, it'll drain all the power from weapons, shields, engines and auxiliary leaving it all but defenceless. If there's even one competent Tac/ Escort in the instance then the Cube will be exploding in a few seconds. Without there shields the Cube's don't last long at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 47
12-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostamojen View Post
Torpedo spread is IIRC 85% of a High Yield for each target. That means even if you are hitting just TWO targets you are being more efficient with your damage output. Taking the time to target one without the spread fire abilities will slow you down quite a bit, which is why most people are using the spread abilities now.

And with STF's, probably 75% of the time you are able to take advantage of hitting multiple targets. Even hitting TWO of the transfer nodes at once (or regen probes in cure) can really help (if you get on top of one, like 1km away, you can be in range for another one too). Plus, all the other random spawns in the area can get hit by your weapons too (the Raptors in Cure, the Spheres in Khitomer Accord, etc.).

You WILL get a lot of agro with this method, which is why the builds I suggest are so defensively-orientated, because you WILL need to be able to take damage from multiple targets and survive. I tend not to rely on team mates to help keep me healed, but even if just one person is randomly giving you heals it will keep you alive in the Normal level STF's no problem.

As for Torpedo Spread 3... I left that out of the builds on purpose. If you are lucky enough to get that skill on a BO, sure go ahead and use it. But right now TS3 BO's are 20,000,000+ on the Exchange.
Well I just got a TS3 BO on the exchange for 13 million and fitted it all up as you suggested, then went for a run on infected space normal. Wow, impressive, I watched the spread hit a nanite sphere and take it down by about 30-40%, same spread hit a probe and totalled it, OK they were both also gratefully receiving a shed load of AP fire at the same time. The other thing you forgot to mention though is how freaking awesome it looks! Thanks again.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 48
12-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJimLitchfield
The other thing you forgot to mention though is how freaking awesome it looks! Thanks again.
You should have seen it on tribble when it was hitting 9 targets instead of just 5, lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
Energy levels won't affect the torpedo fire but a Tyken's will cripple a Cube, it'll drain all the power from weapons, shields, engines and auxiliary leaving it all but defenceless. If there's even one competent Tac/ Escort in the instance then the Cube will be exploding in a few seconds. Without there shields the Cube's don't last long at all.
Good to know. I'll test this out for sure.

Its sad though that its so difficult to swap bridge officers... I wish they skills they had would just pop into the hotbar instead of disappearing and you have to manually rummage through the skills to find the ones that are missing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 49
12-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostamojen View Post
I just ran a RA with the regen Borg shields... The "normal" cubes sucked away almost all the shield power (down to just a sliver on each facing), while after I switched back to the Aegis the shields were only taken down to ~50% in the same situation. The following weapons fire from the cubes was able to penetrate the shielding while using the Borg regen shield, while the Aegis shield was able to keep going just fine.

This game has been unbalanced with Cap vs. Regen shields since day 1, a higher cap is almost always better sadly...

As for the Field Generator console, I always run that on the non-sci builds. I'll test running that instead of the Neutronium with the MVAM/Advanced to see how well that works.

I'm interested in your use of Tykens Rift to fight the Tac Cube though. I didn't think energy levels had huge effects on torp fire from PVE opponents.
Sorry, but your numbers aren't adding up. On my MVAM,

Borg Shields + Field Generator Mk XI = 7796 total shield energy
Aegis + Field Generator Mk XI = 10291.
7796 / 10291 = ~0.7575.

This means that the Aegis shields have only +24% more shields than the Borg set shields. If your Borg Shields are being completely drained by one Borg Shield Neutralizer, then your Aegis will come out with 24% or less capacity, and they will take much longer to recover. Were your tests done with or without a Field Generator?

As it stands now, I'll gladly trade 24% shield capacity for +108% extra shield regen rate, especially when taking sustained weapon fire. Also, TSS + EPTS + Borg Shields can outpace the Borg Shield Neutralizer depending on how much Aux power you run. However, the simplest solution is a quick Hazard Emitters 1.

No player ship can withstand an elite tactical cube's fully powered attacks without some kind of targeting disruption or energy drain. So long as your team runs the right skills, elite tactical cubes can be killed without players suffering multiple deaths.

Lastly, I don't recall ever being hit by Borg Shield Neutralizer in STF's...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 50
12-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shar487
This means that the Aegis shields have only +24% more shields than the Borg set shields. If your Borg Shields are being completely drained by one Borg Shield Neutralizer, then your Aegis will come out with 24% or less capacity, and they will take much longer to recover. Were your tests done with or without a Field Generator?
I'll check again, but I've been running around constantly swapping between the MACO, Aegis and Borg shields lately. I can't find any benefit of running the extra shield regeneration.

And yes they are current with field generators.

One thing to mention, if you have "less" total shields, then tactical team won't be able to re-route as effectively as it does with a high-cap shield. It takes all those extra shield points that aren't being used and throws them to where they need to be instantly, which means your high-cap shield won't drop to zero as a low-cap shield, even with a higher regen rate.
Quote:
Lastly, I don't recall ever being hit by Borg Shield Neutralizer in STF's...
They were heavily nerfed in STF's (thank you Gozer!).

When they first came out for the Tribble testing, you would have to spend the whole time hull-tanking everything due to the fact your shields were constantly 100% drained! It was not fun.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:09 PM.