Lt. Commander
# 11
12-13-2011, 10:43 AM
The AP beams make my eyes bleed......................
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I dunno, I kinda like the "color-inverted" look of the AP beams. They're definitely recognizable, and I think it makes them look like they have more force behind them.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-13-2011, 07:52 PM
Was wondering what they were...looks awesome in space fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
I dunno, I kinda like the "color-inverted" look of the AP beams. They're definitely recognizable, and I think it makes them look like they have more force behind them.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-13-2011, 07:59 PM
I like the new AP now, even though I hated them at first
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
I like the new AP now, even though I hated them at first
AP? whats ap? SO do you all recomend antiproton beam arrays for cruisers? I see alot of those red beams in STFs
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBones View Post
Personally I think the red is too deep, since it no longer looks luminous. It's sort of an opaque dark red now. I'd have been happier with a brilliant yellow or something, since they used to have a yellow lightning effect inside an orange-red glow. They were just too similar to the phasers before, so I understand the need for an update, but I don't think it looks good.
Less luminous is a good way to describe them. I tried equipping some AP beams since the patch (having used them way back) and something about them looked out of place.

I'd love it if they changed the color scheme to look like this, but it seems unlikely.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-14-2011, 01:18 AM
I think it would be completely sweet if they looked like the ghostbuster beams... just more focused and -straight-. That red and blue really accentuates the uniqueness of the beams from the rest of them out there and having that 'swirling' effect around the primary beam is really what makes it stand out as a truly POWERFUL energy type. Considering the bonus to crits... I think the appearance of Anti-proton beams are important to emphasize, and just a simple color change doesn't quite give it that extra visual punch that I would like to see.

It's honestly the entire reason I use plasma beam/cannon weapons. I don't particularly like the color so much (The bluish green is certainly not my fave color scheme...) as I like the large glowing 'starry' dual-heavy-cannon shots, and the spiffy 'fwoosh' sound effect. The beams are also appealing to me because it has a semi-jagged edge to it, giving the impression of a force so powerful it can't be contained in a simple focused beam. One of the aesthetic reasons I don't use phaser/disruptors if I can help it.

If Anti-Proton could just be more like the ghostbuster proton beams, I think it would certainly go a LONG way toward visualizing just how powerful they are in practice. Taking advantage of the bloom effect to give it a nice glowing flickering strobe-light-like effect would really help it 'pop' too.

Just a thought!
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-14-2011, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaly View Post
I'd love it if they changed the color scheme to look like this, but it seems unlikely.
Ikaruga? I approve.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-14-2011, 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwight44
AP? whats ap? SO do you all recomend antiproton beam arrays for cruisers? I see alot of those red beams in STFs
AP is Anti-Proton

Here is a good description of all weapons in STO

http://www.stowiki.org/Damage_types
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-14-2011, 03:50 AM
Phaser are orange
Tetryons are blue
Plasma is pale green
Disruptors are darker green
Polaron is purple
Antiprotons are red