Lt. Commander
# 1 STF Drop Penalty
12-12-2011, 07:18 PM
The rest of my group on Infected - Ground bailed on me. 1 went probably due to DC; then another for no reason; then another because he didn't think 3 people could finish; and then the last guy was like, "oh, I have to work in the morning." So now I'm stuck in an STF alone, can't find any way of summoning more help, and if I leave, I'm going to be penalized an hour. Ridiculous!

The last person out should be exempt from penalty, I say.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I've had to leave several times because people left before me. I've never been penalized for it. I think the leaver penalty is only applied when you are the first or second person to bail.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I have been hit with the 1 hour even being the last one out. It has only happened on the cure because that is the only one I have never been able to finish in a pug. We are lucky to have all 5 for the boss, then it is just a case of no one knows what to do and they do not take instructions well.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-28-2011, 05:34 AM
This whole penalty is just a bad idea. It should be removed alltogether.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Removed altogether?
12-28-2011, 09:30 AM
I think it should be increased.

Make certain that only the first person to leave get penalized and make that penalty a day of playtime. I've been playing since beta and have yet to finish a Cure Ground mission. I'll be I've tried 30 times over the last two years and someone ALWAYS leaves at the second gate and then the team falls apart.

I hate all the borg missions because I prefer playing alone with my BOs, the idea that you're required to rely on other people is silly since it's a game. In real life you are forced to deal with random strangers and worry about their motives or willingness to see the job done (usually not done) In a game I want to take my officers and know they're going to do exactly what I want, if the mission fails it's on me, not some doofus I've never spoken to and don't trust as far as I could throw them.

Rant concluded.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStreutker View Post
the idea that you're required to rely on other people is silly since it's a game.
Psst! STO is an MMO game (allegedly).
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Well I'll tell you,

The other day I joined Cure normal - space AFTER the mission had been completed. Everyone sat around waiting for the queue to leave the map, (no one wanted the "leaver penalty), which took nearly 5 minutes to show up. No reward for me, ( as it should be), BUT.... I STILL got hit with the one hour cool down.

Then yesterday, I had SEVERAL disconnects while trying to do STFs and lag so severe, that EVERYTHING was simply unresponsive and the assimilated Borg Raptors had some weird game designation over them, so I really doubt that the issue was on my end, I almost had to quit myself and would have had NO WAY to let anyone on the team know why.

The issue resolved, ( thank fully), with a moment of complete vertigo, an almost 180 shift with everything on the map, then I was back in business. My teammates experienced it too. Bug reports filed.
Oh and there was some unscheduled maintenance too I believe. Coincidence ?
I've read more than a few posts on the forums about disconnect and lag issues since yesterday's maintenance.

So while I absolutely agree that SOME players are being idiots, I also would like to point out that there is definitely some "technical issues" afoot, and we all know that this build has it's share of bugs, perhaps we should wait till these bugs get ironed out before we talk about increasing any penalty .
A whole day ? Seriously ?
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Quote:
I think it should be increased.

Make certain that only the first person to leave get penalized and make that penalty a day of playtime. I've been playing since beta and have yet to finish a Cure Ground mission. I'll be I've tried 30 times over the last two years and someone ALWAYS leaves at the second gate and then the team falls apart.
Have you actually played the season 5 version of Cure? The gates are pretty easy now. In fact, they are silly easy if you aren't worried about the optional objectives.

Quote:
I hate all the borg missions because I prefer playing alone with my BOs,
Then, STFs are not for you. Over 95% of the content in STO is soloable. Sounds like you should stick with those.

Quote:
the idea that you're required to rely on other people is silly since it's a game.
STO is an MMO. What would be silly is if it DIDN'T have any team oriented content.
Lt. Commander
# 9 STFs certainly are not for me.
01-02-2012, 12:00 AM
You're right, stfs aren't my thing, but in order to get the best items you're forced into it. People are so concerned with keeping the best game items out of C-store, but this is the same thing, in order to stay competative you have to rely on people with attention spans shorter than a Trek movie trailer.

I've played Cure ground several times since doffs were introduced (not sure if that's when season 5 was introduced or not) still, we always lose someone and the rest of the team then bails. About two weeks ago I made it to the Cure ground boss along with two other players, of course we couldn't take him. We got close a couple times but it just wasn't happening so they both left. I ended up sitting there by myself for about half an hour trying to get fleetmates to come finish it off... You can't rely on anyone in games and it's silly to have it forced on you. IMHO.

For getting kicked because of lag... I've never, in two years, been kicked off unless I was in the middle of map-transfer and that's only happened a couple times. I usually get impatient and reboot STO because it's faster than transferring to DS9. I don't understand how so many people can be getting kicked so often when it's never happened to me. I play on a laptop and an all-in-one (glorified laptop) both using an unreliable wifi so it really doesn't make any sense to me.

Regardless, if you can't stay until the end (either because your net sucks or because you're easily frustrated) you shouldn't be inviting others to rely on you for a common goal. The first person out of an STF (before it's completed) should be given a 24 hour cooldown on that stf at least.

edit: I also still don't have the Crystal Entity beaten. When I'm in there with someone who's giving direction, I follow the directions because I want the whole group to win. There's always that one idiot that won't stop dropping mines or wants to fly the wrong direction around it and the CE gets refilled to full. Because it's a game nobody wants to take it seriously and they don't have to, but because it's a game I shouldn't be forced to rely on them. Reality is where you have to deal with whoever life throws at you, it's not fun, it's not a game, it's work and it's why I play games to unwind.