Lt. Commander
# 1 Rent to Own Subscription
12-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Have rent to own subscriptions been suggested or considered? I don't have 300 bucks extra in my monthly budget to buy a subscription (or even 200) so I either pay every month or stop paying and save up (meanwhile being tempted by ebay auctions). If my past payments counted somewhat toward a lifetime membership, I would get one.

With f2p coming, why not have past payments count toward a membership but with a cap, maybe $200? I can't speak for others, but if my veteran status and patronage meant more, I'd go all the way. If not, might as well stop paying.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-14-2011, 08:39 AM
It's very clear how the players would benefit from this, but... more importantly, how will Cryptic benefit from this exactly?
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Would be great if this would happen.

I've been paying a subscription since launch and like you I can't afford to make one big payment.

I've dished out more money then a lifetime sub now and still got to pay!
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-14-2011, 08:45 AM
well when the game goes free to play you can stop paying and go silver, Put that money in bank account. Once you have the amount for you can then buy the life time.

Problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Only way it would work:
  • LTS = $300
  • Gold = $15 per month
  • Rent to Life = $30 per month for 12 months (total cost $360)

Gold status throughout, but LTS perks do not unlock until paid in full. This is non-negotiable and not eligible for LTS sales. So even if the LTS goes to $200 and you've paid $240, you are still four months until your LTS activates. Months do NOT have to be consecutive.

Most rent to owns have a premium over buying it outright and also have a premium over the standard lease. I think this would be a viable alternative. Like LTS subs, there is a premium to get in, but like a monthly sub, you can pay month to month with the months you pay for counting toward the LTS total. It has an effective APR of 16% which is better than most credit cards.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCO
well when the game goes free to play you can stop paying and go silver, Put that money in bank account. Once you have the amount for you can then buy the life time.

Problem solved.
I'm an hardcore player and silver will not work for me
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-14-2011, 09:07 AM
So, in essence, Commadore Bob you're creating an inflation of the monthly subscription payment and, if most of the subscriber-base switches to this plan, after a year a lot more subscribers will become Lifetime members and Cryptic will have to pay even more people $5 every month, in Cryptic Points.

I think this would likely mean Cryptic would have to tweak STO's economy (as they already have with the DL/CP Exchange) and deflate the value of Dilithium versus Cryptic Points.

I'm not Economist or Bean Counter, but I think this isn't going to work in the long run, or else Cryptic would've already offered this payment plan a long time ago.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
So, in essence, Commadore Bob you're creating an inflation of the monthly subscription payment and, if most of the subscriber-base switches to this plan, after a year a lot more subscribers will become Lifetime members and Cryptic will have to pay even more people $5 every month, in Cryptic Points.

I think this would likely mean Cryptic would have to tweak STO's economy (as they already have with the DL/CP Exchange) and deflate the value of Dilithium versus Cryptic Points.

I'm not Economist or Bean Counter, but I think this isn't going to work in the long run, or else Cryptic would've already offered this payment plan a long time ago.

I'm not saying now. But maybe has a 1100 day, 1200 day, 1300 day, 1400 day or 1500 day veteran reward for subscribers. Shouldn't harm the economy then anymore then lifers are now!
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Actually, all I was thinking about was Cryptic getting into the loan business. If you were to buy the LTS using a credit card and paid it off over the course of a year, it would cost more than this.

Using the rent to own model there is no credit check involved because you won't have the LTS until it is paid off, but you can still play the game. It's just for that first year, it is at a premium over the standard Gold sub. But the priveledge of paying for the LTS over a year will cost more than those who can cough it up all at one time.

This is very similar to the lease, loan, cash model used at car dealerships.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-14-2011, 09:26 AM
We had thought about doing that for fleet members that were worried about coming up with the money during certain times of the year. We were going to purchase a subscription from them and get them to pay it back with a couple of extra payments to go in the fleet bank to help others.

The big problem was that there was no way to track it and we had absolutely no control if they left the fleet, quit the game, or just didnít want to pay anymore