Lt. Commander
# 101
12-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Excellent!! Though I think this annoucement should have come with the Budwieser Commercial music in the background.
<music starts>
Announcer, "To those junior officers who work tirelessly in cramped Jefferies Tubes,"
<commercial music>
Background Singer, " I'm Stuck! One too many doughnuts..."
< commercial music >
Announcer, "perishing namelessly on away missions,"
Backgorund Singer, " Ah damn! I drew the red Shirt! "
< commercial music>
Announcer, " or provided the endless streams of reports and analysis necessary for a starship to function"
Background Singer, " OUCH! Got a hand cramp! "
< commercial music >
Announcer, "– this weekend is dedicated to you! Oh mighty DOffer of DOffing! "
Background Singer, " Still got a hand cramp! "
< commercial music big finish and fade out>
I LOL'd muchly!

HA!

Thanks for that Brother Roach!
Lt. Commander
# 102
12-15-2011, 07:48 AM
I say there; Brilliant! Roach..

STarFleet were a DOFF Neva has to take a wire brush and take to scraping barnacles off the HULL.
Extra Rum ration for you.. Step up with that tin cup now.

Sir, But where's the Anchor Chair.. heehee Spoofed another Midshipman.. Chain son Chain..
Lt. Commander
# 103
12-15-2011, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROKEN1981
snip if a guy can run a first race and get the free ship and never bought cp and i spent about 100$ at that point he got the ship, how can u say that is a fair model?
The winter boxes are exactly as fair as any other lottery. Let's be clear about the difference between "fair" and "likelihood".

fair ~ noun, verb, adjective
1. free from bias, dishonesty, or injustice: a fair decision; a fair judge.
2. legitimately sought, pursued, done, given, etc.; proper under the rules: a fair fight.
3. moderately large; ample: a fair income.
4. neither excellent nor poor; moderately or tolerably good: fair health.
5. marked by favoring conditions; likely; promising: in a fair way to succeed.

like·li·hood ~ noun
1. the state of being likely or probable; probability.
2. a probability or chance of something: There is a strong likelihood of his being elected.
3. Archaic . indication of a favorable end; promise.

This is where I see several people on the forums have a fundamental misunderstanding of how lotteries (like the winter boxes) work.

1. The boxes are as free from bias as any other lottery. Yes, rich people can buy boxes, but they can also buy more powerball tickets as well. An argument from financial ability is not correct here.
2. We all have a legitimate way to gain the boxes. The race we have to do is fair.
3 & 4. These definitions are not relevant to this discussion, as these are not the way fair is being used. We are not talking about issues like fair salaries, nor condition.
5. This (the least common usage of the term) is at the heart of the matter. People seem to think that the lottery is an inherently unfair way to gain the ship (or other prizes, but mostly the ship). However, if you discount financial ability, everyone has the same likelihood a given box opening and revealing the ship. The chance values do not change from one person to another or from one box to another. Each box is its own instance of flipping a coin.

That one guy happened to flip heads on his coin (box) on the first (free) flip. You've bought additional flips and all of them including the free one have been tails.

That is exactly fair and follows from the likelihood values Heretic set up.

If you buy a powerball lottery ticket and lose do you complain this much about "fairness"? You rolled the dice and lost. You then bought a bunch more rolls and lost. That is how gambling works and it is perfectly fair.
Lt. Commander
# 104
12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilPhil

If you buy a powerball lottery ticket and lose do you complain this much about "fairness"? You rolled the dice and lost. You then bought a bunch more rolls and lost. That is how gambling works and it is perfectly fair.
well most lottos in real life aren't free. also seems to me the people with life time got them with in 22 boxes. people with month to month subs had to spend more. but you tell me how a guy had to spend 750 to get his ship and the guy gets his free on first race is fair. because no matter how you try to defend it its not fair. my mere 60 is nothing compared to 750. also yesterday i got 500 points 5 boxes and 3 of them was a tribble that i can claim on every toon. that dont seem fair to me. also at that point i wasent looking for a ship. just the purple weps that i had no need for on my va toon. i was looking for purple weps to put on my klink.

also i think lotto is more fair then this crap ever will be. lotto i can pick numbers. get as many sheets as i want. this winter crap the numbers are generated for me. also when i seen zone chat spamed with the ship i figured i had awesome chances asking how many boxes till ship. most of them had said under 22 boxes. few said under 10 and 3 people said 2 boxes. it lead me to believe it was an easy win. so i just kepted trying and trying till i spent way too much and my g/f cut me off the funds. i make ok money, im jst bad with it so she takes care of it lol.
Lt. Commander
# 105
12-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Awesome update, really looking forward to the bonus XP and free Doffs!

Honestly, I have no problem with the ultra rares being sold in the C-store packs. You don't HAVE to spend your money on these things, people. This idea that you must have the newest thing and you must have it NOW is what's emptying your wallets. The fact that it's an option really means that if you choose to buy some new Doffs, there's a chance you could get something awesome and unexpected. Unexpected is the key word here. Don't go buying packs thinking you're going to get the Ultra Purples, or you'll just keep buying and buying. Learn to control yourselves, and enjoy the possibility of a bonus for what it is.

Excellent work, Heretic! The Doff system is the ONLY thing in this game that will keep me coming back when I'm down timing from Tor.
Lt. Commander
# 106
12-15-2011, 10:30 AM
580cp for 100 more text doff slots. WTF That's more than 2 more character slots. This should not be that high. Guess that's another thing I will not buy. And its per character, If it was 400cp and account wide then I would get it but...... Anyway.

EDIT also the extra doff xp thing I got says 4hrs but in the Dev Diary it says you only have to see him once. Care to clear this up.
Lt. Commander
# 107
12-15-2011, 10:30 AM
Kinda annoying that I just opened about 15 BO packs this week. GRRRRRR!
Lt. Commander
# 108
12-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Yay! Bonus Commendation XP! Free Doffs! And ultra-rare doffs that I'll never see because the random number generator hates me!
Lt. Commander
# 109
12-15-2011, 10:37 AM
that new super doff is awesome. goes well with my red matter. and i have 8 points in bat skill.
Lt. Commander
# 110
12-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
Excellent!! Though I think this annoucement should have come with the Budwieser Commercial music in the background.
<music starts>
Announcer, "To those junior officers who work tirelessly in cramped Jefferies Tubes,"
<commercial music>
Background Singer, " I'm Stuck! One too many doughnuts..."
< commercial music >
Announcer, "perishing namelessly on away missions,"
Backgorund Singer, " Ah damn! I drew the red Shirt! "
< commercial music>
Announcer, " or provided the endless streams of reports and analysis necessary for a starship to function"
Background Singer, " OUCH! Got a hand cramp! "
< commercial music >
Announcer, "– this weekend is dedicated to you! Oh mighty DOffer of DOffing! "
Background Singer, " Still got a hand cramp! "
< commercial music big finish and fade out>
ROFLMAO!!!! Brilliant!!! Thank you!!!