Lt. Commander
# 11
12-15-2011, 08:13 AM
I think when the Steamrunner class is released you see a 15m torp weapon that comes with it. For right now 10m is the chosen distance.

Now I heard about a positronic Tri cobalt torp that you can launch early then I seeks out the enemy like a AI ship.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim3822 View Post
How can photon torpedoes be faster than light? So your saying that they are quicker than a phaser beam? That's just not right. Just not possible. If photon torpedoes were real they would just be light as thats what photons are so they could be faster than light because it is light! lol...

If your referring to the times we see them fired at warp maybe it's because they're in the warp bubble and thus move as they would relative to "normal"s space.
Not possible? Well...when you get right down to it, FTL travel for anything, light, matter, even information, is probably not possible. I'm referring to canonical Trek Tech where things like warp speed, transwarp gates, transporters and green Orion slave girls are possible and easy.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Photon_torpedo
Memory Beta

The photon torpedo uses shaped charges of antimatter that, when they come in contact with conventional matter, release massive amounts of gamma ray photons, hence the weapon's name. They were developed in part due to the requirement for a weapon, which unlike phasers, could be used at faster than light speeds.

http://www.st-intelligence.com/tech_...dom/photon.php
Starfleet Intelligence

Photon Torpedoes are the primary faster than light, FTL, weapon used by Starfleet onboard starships and starbases. Photon torpedoes were first introduced into Starfleet service in 2215 to replace earlier photonic torpedoes and nuclear warheads.

The current photon torpedo design is a variable matter/antimatter warhead design that was first introduced in 2271. In these new torpedoes the matter and antimatter are magnetically suspended in thousands of packets that increase the surface area of the re action when the two mix. The resulting complete annihilation, when combined, multiplies the yield of the warhead to 18.5 isotons. The range of these new torpedoes has also increased to 4,050,000 km.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/tr...eknology-p.htm
Ex Astris Scientia

Photon torpedo Matter/antimatter annihilation weapon used by Starfleet and by the Klingon Defense Force. A Starfleet photon torpedo contains deuterium and magnetically constrained antideuterium tanks, target guidance and a warp sustainer engine. In contrast to phasers, photon torpedoes can be used at warp speed (generic).

It is the "warp sustainer engine that allows the Photon Torpedo to travel at FTL speeds for a short time...

I'm just saying...
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-15-2011, 08:31 AM
Slightly wrong and slightly right.

The warp sustainer field is what keeps a photon torpedo at warp speed if fire from a vessel flying at warp speed. It does not makes the photon torpedo travel at warp speed when fired from a vessel traveling at sub warp speed.
That is why its a warp sustainer field, it sustains the existing warp field not creates a warp field.
Lt. Commander
# 14 Point Taken....However
12-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idali
Slightly wrong and slightly right.

The warp sustainer field is what keeps a photon torpedo at warp speed if fire from a vessel flying at warp speed. It does not makes the photon torpedo travel at warp speed when fired from a vessel traveling at sub warp speed.
That is why its a warp sustainer field, it sustains the existing warp field not creates a warp field.
I think you are correct although the interpretation of an sustained warp field raises the problem of warp momentum....if the torpedo derives all of its intial velocity from the firing vessel and the warp sustainer field merely perpetuates that velocity, how does the torpedo go faster than its source? Indeed, how would such a passively propelled projectile ever overtake a distant warp-driven target? There has to be some type of initial warp accelerant mechanism to even allow the torpedo to even leave the tube.

I'm just saying.
Lt. Commander
But fun....
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Torpedoes can accelerate, they just can't exceed C without help from the firing ship
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-15-2011, 11:34 AM
IIRC from the tech manual the torpedo grabs a "handoff" warp field generated by the torpedo launcher, thus allowing the sustainer engine to keep it at warp, and even accelerate to warp 9ish, if launched at warp. Also because the sustainer engine uses the same fuel for propulsion as detonation, the farther the torpedo goes the less boom it will have when it gets there. Thus there is an effective range to a torpedo, even though it can actually go much farther. Its just once it gets there it won't have enough fuel to make a decent detonation.

Also, alot of probes are modified torpedos.

I'll have to look at home when I get off work to be sure.

(yes, very geeky )
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-15-2011, 12:38 PM
well, the reason i just asked about the 10km is that i was reading up on ship classes in memory alpha, and while going over the Constitution class, it stated that the firing range was 90,000 km. now, i know that that would be impossible to use within the game as it stands, but 10km just seems a bit. . . weird.
Lt. Commander
Every Federation starship seems capable of orbital bombardment using phasers and photon torpedoes.
A range of 10 km is barely more than six miles...this would be an extremely low orbit. Any ship attacking the surface from such a low orbital position would be extremely vulnerable to ground-based counterattack. In the case of Mars, any Klingon ship bombarding the Utopia Planitia ground station from 10km orbit might collide with Olympus Mons which is 22km (14 miles) high.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Just adding to Tarby's post since I happen to have the tech manual sitting on my desk....

According to the TNG tech manual (pg 128 to be precise) the operative range of photon torps as used by Galaxy class vessels is 3.5 million kilometers for midrange detonation yield. The matter/antimatter cell used to sustain the warp field after launch can add velocity to the projectile, but torpedoes launched at sublight speed will not cross the warp 1 barrier. If launched low impulse the coils will drive the torpedo up to a 75% higher sublight velocity.

It should also be noted that the range can be extended past 3.5m/k, however detonation yield will suffer due to matter/antimatter being drawn from the payload to power flight.

Pg 126 of the tech manual states Type X phasers as having a maximum effective range of 300,000 kilometers.

So basically, soft canon has been replaced by softer canon for the sake of making STO not play like Battleship-in-Space.

And in response to PerseusTong - torpedoes (pg 130) are launched using a system similar to a mass driver or railgun. "Launch assist gas generators" are used to provide initial power to the sustainer.