Lt. Commander
# 1 [GUIDE] A guide to Elite STFs
12-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Listed below a few things you should know BEFORE queuing for an Elite STF, I recommend reading it as it might spare you both time and nerves.

First off, this is not normal mode, Elite is at least 3 times harder and the mobs 10 times tougher, so if you donít have appropriate gear do yourself (and your team) a favor and donít enter the queue.
Another important point is that you will, if you want or not, receive several debuffs called injury (ground) or damage (space).
Injuries and damages reduce your battle strength in both attack and defense and can stack nearly indefinitely, so you have to get rid of them as soon as possible.
There is a general rule to this:
Several minor increase the chance of getting a major
Several major increase the chance of getting criticals

This brings us to our next point:

Necessary things for Elite STFs
- At least 40 Minor Regenerators/Minor parts
- At least 40 Major regenerators/Major parts
- MK XI/XII Equipment (At least one XI weapon)
- At least 50 Large Hypos
- Shield Batteries(Except youíve got the MACO set->ground) (ground)
-Weapon Batteries(ground)
-Any damage buffing tribble
- Remodulator ground(Except when having a 3 set piece bonus)

If you donít have at least the Damage/Injury repair stuff please do everyone a favor and donít apply for Elite STFs, you are not only wasting your time but your teams too, since the probability of the team failing is pretty high as soon as one or more team members get several critical injuries/damages stacked.
You will note that I did talk about critical injuries, but didnít list their parts/regenerators as required items.
This is because there is (atm) no place (Except sometimes exchanges for horrible prices) where you could buy them, and especially regenerators are pretty rare drops. We have yet to see if we will ever get a store for them too.

Where to get Parts and Regenerators:

Every station should have at least one merchant selling ground and space devices.
There are two next to each other on DS9 for ground items and on for Space devices where you can change your ship. And yes, you wonít get them for free. But please mind that Elite is not supposed to be easy, so no crying will help you around it.
How to heal an Injury/repair damage
After you have received your first damage/injury you want to heal/repair it as fast as possible in order to not get stronger ones.(Again all of them can stack several times), healing them is pretty simple:

Ground:
Press K while being injured, your character window will open and you will notice a button with a red font in the lower right section - -> click it.
You are now in the sickbay window, and can heal both your character, and if you played Elite in Ďsingle playerí your BOFFs too.

Space:
Press K while being damaged and select your ship, you will notice a red button saying ďDAMAGEDĒ in the lower right section of the window - -> click it.
You are now in the engineering window where you can repair your ship with the parts.

In these two windows you can also read what exactly every damage does, and if you are for some reason short on parts/regenerators decide which ones you heal and which ones not
Example:
Repairing your Sickbay is not as important as repairing Warpcore failure

A general rule is:
If it reduces your resistance, energy levels or damage heal it!
If you have more than one injury/damage heal/repair at least one

You can do that while waiting to respawn btw, which is recommended, as mobs sometimes farm the spawn points.

Consequences of not bringing them:

Pretty easy Ė you will **** your team off.
You might now ask yourself: ďBut wait, why should I care about some people I donít even know being ****ed because of me?Ē
Let my answer your question with a question:
Letís assume the following case:
You are in a small company which only pays if you do your work right. To do your work right you need every person to bring several things every day, like pencils, pens, paper, and whatever else you like to insert here. You need about 20 per workday
Now 2 of your five man team donít bring their pencils, as a consequence no one will have enough pencils to finish the work so no one will get paid.
And now my question:
ďWouldnít you be ****ed too?Ē

While the analogy might not be the best, it is pretty much the same, an STF has a lot of work in it and you will only get the reward if you finish it.

Another consequence is that people will leave as soon as they feel that continuing doesnít make sense.
While I generally condemn people who leave because of a stupid optional objective, I believe this to be a legit case, as, and sorry for saying it a third time now, you are wasting your teams time by not bringing them.

[Additional information [/b]

Damage, Injuries and Enemy HP are not the only things being different from normal STF game play, there are several other things, differing from STF to STF like:
- Different mobs being placed on the map (for example 2 Elites instead of one)
- Bosses getting additional abilities, such as planetary bombardment
- [Ö]

If you donít know what exactly changed, no problem, I donít know all of them either, just ask your teammates, at least one person will know or have a vague idea.

So again, please donít waste other peopleís time just because you want your XII stuff without spending any money, because it wonít work out. People will leave the team and the system will most likely not give your team replacements. The result is pretty clear:
You have wasted approximately 30 minutes to one hour without getting anything but crappy loot you will probably sell to the replicator anyway.

Now that you know everything, have fun with your Elite STFs and donít forget to bring your regenerators/parts!

Kithomer Accords Guide on Page 3 or for single Post
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...4&postcount=22
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...7&postcount=23
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-15-2011, 04:44 PM
I appreciate the effort that went into this but is it really a guide?

It sounds like a reaction to frustating Elite PuG runs, albeit a constructive and helpful one.

In some encounters, tactics can save you using regenrators at all, for example kiting the Tc Cube in Infected, other times, you're gonna get one-shot in seconds for 5 times your maximum hull strength no matter what you do, can't kite a static opponent or lower the spawn rates.

People new to Elite STF's should definately heed your advice but they'll get more mileage out of knowing the best ways to tackle them, even if it is, in some places, eat Components/Regenerators like candy until you beat everything.

There's more at fault with how Crytic approach increasing difficulty, simply pumping up enemy stats, than there is with the people playing the STF's.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
I appreciate the effort that went into this but is it really a guide?

It sounds like a reaction to frustating Elite PuG runs, albeit a constructive and helpful one.

In some encounters, tactics can save you using regenrators at all, for example kiting the Tc Cube in Infected, other times, you're gonna get one-shot in seconds for 5 times your maximum hull strength no matter what you do, can't kite a static opponent or lower the spawn rates.

People new to Elite STF's should definately heed your advice but they'll get more mileage out of knowing the best ways to tackle them, even if it is, in some places, eat Components/Regenerators like candy until you beat everything.

There's more at fault with how Crytic approach increasing difficulty, simply pumping up enemy stats, than there is with the people playing the STF's.
I did indeed write this after getting frustrated about wasted time again, it seems necessary though as I often encounter people in Elite STFs who don't even know that they need regenerators and parts before entering.
Maybe I should have called it a "beginner's guide/General information about Elite" or something like that.
I thought it might be useful to provide information the game apparently doesn't.

I actually thought about writing a german translation today, as peaople not understanding you in an STF is another one of these problems...
I could just tell them in german, but I think its pretty rude to start talking in another language and leave the rest of the team out of the conversation/not giving them the chance to join it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Actually, I think this is a great guide for beginners (or at least people that don't normally do missions on elite). There are more advanced tactics that you could get into, but I think this stuff here is stuff that will make things less frustrating, and make it less likely that you will be called a noob.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Being a non stf player, I found the information helpful. Before season 5 I never had the time for an stf...think I did one. Now that they are shorter...and with the lack of new missions for my ten toons, I may have to try these again.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-17-2011, 12:32 AM
I feel your pain bro. in one morning i had 3 stf fails. rule of thumb on ground is this: If they are using a pistol offer them a better weapon. if they refuse tell them that you wont put up with their **** next time. if more than 1 person is using pistols then say the group sucks and didnt choose the right weapons. if they dont remodulate their weapons do this. Agro every borg you can find and lure them to the group. then say "Kill that with your pistols" and leave.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-17-2011, 02:26 AM
Great job man. U're doing a good thing for us all. Go on like that.

P.S. We played KA Elite ground once, we've done the optional for 1 sec.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-17-2011, 05:42 PM
I might add a few sentences about the STFs in the main post/a later post in this thread later (depending on the letter limit); I have yet to try the new cure ground though(Both normal and Elite).
Maybe even a german translation.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-20-2011, 04:13 AM
ok... the OP can be summed up as "bring stuff that heals Injuries from Elite Mode"

the funny thing about the injuries in Elite STF's is that they almost all dissapear once you leave the STF (i usually have ONE left).

So one might argue that it is cheaper to just do the resapawn+die game, if it is intentionally made impossible to get the Optional Objectives in an Elite STF, then why should one care about the time it takes to finish it?

i mean, thats a LOT of Energy Credits that will be wasted for the items, the Elite STF's neither give the rewards to counter the loss in EC nor do they drop regenerators in any sufficient amount.

also if 3 players on your team do not repair / heal, then there is no use in doing it yourself

PS: i would be more interested in advanced tactics.

like, in Infected Space, fly low and stay out of range of the Cube while you take down the regen probes with BFAW, Scatter Volley and Torpedo Spread.

or... Kithomer Accord Space, if you take down 2 regenerators a Borg Cube will spawn, is there any intelligent way to exploit that?
like maybe fly a round with your team destroy only 2 generators of all 4 to spawn all the cubes, then blast them first.... or approach from the outside to pull them away from the battlefield... ?

kinda like that...
we need to figure this stuff out and then spread the knowledge,

and if you think PuGs are bad now, just wait until F2P hits.
I don't think Gozer thought of that when he put the Elite Versions in the Public Queue
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-20-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
So one might argue that it is cheaper to just do the resapawn+die game, if it is intentionally made impossible to get the Optional Objectives in an Elite STF, then why should one care about the time it takes to finish it?
Cheaper? Yes. But then you might not be able to finish it at all. Did Infected elite where no one had any repair components. At the end, we just could not kill the tac cube. Weapons hardly did any damage, and we could hardly maneuver. Engine power was 9/25.