Lt. Commander
I mean, I understand you get a neat title and a free purple duty officer that might give you some nice passive abilities, but it seems like the other categories pale in comparison to the rewards you get for the diplomatic tier (purple enemy faction officer, four transwarp powers, and the ability to enter enemy space).

It would be nice if each tier could reward something nice and unique.

For instance, maybe the first three tiers of espionage could award you a permanent personal and or ship holoemitter device and each tier unlocks a new faction (Klingon, Romulan, and finally Cardassian) for the device, maybe with some active ability to get enemy NPC's that have not engaged you to ignore you for thirty seconds so you can sneak past them.

Maybe the engineering accolade could award some kind of ship device that works like the red-matter capacitor or gives you some similar power (say a burst of speed to the engines).

The duty officer system is kind of a fun little side game at the moment, but it has a huge amount of unrealized potential.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
The design has always been to have a more robust reward schema for the other commendation categories. As we have time and resources, the plan is to fill these out more thoroughly.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Well, if you need any ideas, I am sure people here can brainstorm some good ones.

Maybe a chief medical officer could get one of these:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8996/crusherzap.gif
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-15-2011, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakarak
Well, if you need any ideas, I am sure people here can brainstorm some good ones.

Maybe a chief medical officer could get one of these:

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8996/crusherzap.gif
To "which ones of these" were you referring to:
  • Electric Blue Discharge
  • Jeweler's hat
  • Bio Bed
  • Lt Jg Worf

Yes, it would be nice to have some other unlocks. Chief Engineer could unlock a "scotty" clone BOff or something like that.

Matt
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMiracle
Yes, it would be nice to have some other unlocks. Chief Engineer could unlock a "scotty" clone BOff or something like that.
I was actually thinking about a Scotty EEH (Emergency Engineering Hologram) you could put in a device slot that would give you a boost of speed and trigger the audio: I'm giving her all she's got Captain!
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Quote:
I was actually thinking about a Scotty EEH (Emergency Engineering Hologram) you could put in a device slot that would give you a boost of speed and trigger the audio: I'm giving her all she's got Captain!
That would be Impressively Awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Quote:
I still want the "/spock" space emote, which makes your ship fire a black torpedo while bagpipes play in the background.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJabroni View Post
I still want the "/spock" space emote, which makes your ship fire a black torpedo while bagpipes play in the background.
yes thats what STO needs kilts pipes and if were realy lucky drums

hell lest with kilts we can do a scottish carwash
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Personally I think the doff system would be a good way to add unlockable shipboard functions. Have each category unlock something at tier 3, and then improve it at tier 4 (or even unlock at tier 2 and improve in more steps). Some ideas (I posted a list before, but this one's adjusted):

Science: Crafting, tier 4 could add special crafting (Like the Defera borg stuff)
Engineering: Ship injury NPC. Tier 3 could have higher cost, or tier 4 could be required for critical injuries
Military: Ship Armory - limited space equipment storage (8/16 slots - enough to store an alternate weapon loadout, some universal consoles, or sets)
Exploration: Astrometrics Lab - tier 3 just lets you see the flavor text that pops up when you're near a system, tier 4 adding transwarp-for-EC like mission replay has
Espionage: Ground Armory - limited ground equipment storage, see Military
Medical: Ground injury NPC, see Engineering
Colonial: Cargo Bay - limited commodity storage (8/16 slots - would allow tier 3 captains to keep the high demand commodities on board without taking inventory or bank space, and tier 4 captains to free them from inventory entirely)
Trade: industrial replicator that gives lower prices on all standard commodities (lower than the ship's replicator, but higher than "good" vendors), tier 4 could reduce prices or even add a communications console to contact a black market contact that sells contraband for latinum.
Development: Not really sure what to do with development, possibly just miscellaneous services like tailor, mail, and bank - I know you don't want to move too many starbase functions ship side, but I don't think these three would hurt more than help
Recruitment: Slightly adjusted shipboard recruitment assignments ("Crew Transfer Requests") - doffs at tier 3, boffs at tier 4. Could be given disadvantages like smaller cadres or longer timers compared to counter the convenience.

The whole point of the doff system is improving the crew of your ship. Something along these lines would let you improve your ship while you're at it, fostering the idea that the ship is the crew and not just the thing the crew is taking up space in.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Personally I think the doff system would be a good way to add unlockable shipboard functions. Have each category unlock something at tier 3, and then improve it at tier 4 (or even unlock at tier 2 and improve in more steps). Some ideas (I posted a list before, but this one's adjusted):

Science: Crafting, tier 4 could add special crafting (Like the Defera borg stuff)
Engineering: Ship injury NPC. Tier 3 could have higher cost, or tier 4 could be required for critical injuries
Military: Ship Armory - limited space equipment storage (8/16 slots - enough to store an alternate weapon loadout, some universal consoles, or sets)
Exploration: Astrometrics Lab - tier 3 just lets you see the flavor text that pops up when you're near a system, tier 4 adding transwarp-for-EC like mission replay has
Espionage: Ground Armory - limited ground equipment storage, see Military
Medical: Ground injury NPC, see Engineering
Colonial: Cargo Bay - limited commodity storage (8/16 slots - would allow tier 3 captains to keep the high demand commodities on board without taking inventory or bank space, and tier 4 captains to free them from inventory entirely)
Trade: industrial replicator that gives lower prices on all standard commodities (lower than the ship's replicator, but higher than "good" vendors), tier 4 could reduce prices or even add a communications console to contact a black market contact that sells contraband for latinum.
Development: Not really sure what to do with development, possibly just miscellaneous services like tailor, mail, and bank - I know you don't want to move too many starbase functions ship side, but I don't think these three would hurt more than help
Recruitment: Slightly adjusted shipboard recruitment assignments ("Crew Transfer Requests") - doffs at tier 3, boffs at tier 4. Could be given disadvantages like smaller cadres or longer timers compared to counter the convenience.

The whole point of the doff system is improving the crew of your ship. Something along these lines would let you improve your ship while you're at it, fostering the idea that the ship is the crew and not just the thing the crew is taking up space in.
I think a heal ship/personal critical injury power with a certain cooldown would be a good t-4 power to unlock for chief engineer and chief medical officer.