Lt. Commander
# 1 ship damage textures
12-16-2011, 06:01 AM
it hasn't gone unnoticed all the hard work cryptic have put into ship models and textures. some of the ships look beautiful and the new weapon effects add to the already fierce looks of ship combat. the problem is the damage ship textures look terrible. destroying an enemy ship or even watching your own ship fall apart is soo bland and boring. i dont want my ship to change to a dark texture with electric affects followed by an bland ball of explosion. i want to watch my ship burn, scorch damage to hull, hull breaches etc. as for the explosions i would love for the destroyed ships to float around in space. if thats not possible with technology limits then at least improve the explosion affects and show bits of the ship blowing apart. for some inspiration check out youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqWA3BFH9GY
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-16-2011, 10:51 AM
i have to agree that the textures need a revamp. when your ship goes out with a bang, isnt it your warp core thats going? shouldnt it be bigger? i like the idea of floating hulks though. would be interesting, though a bit disheartening, to see my previous ship floating around the battlefield. its like a big FAIL sign for everybody to see.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
I agree . I was also hoping the following in addition.

Ex. Your ship is in the midst of a pvp or pve match. Even if you are healed, it doesnt change the damage texture on your ship. There's just something epic about flying a ship that's on it's last legs but still going through with the tast at hand. It woudn't affect actual performs, but maybe if your nacelles are leaking, your ship spins slightly in space, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEONHART View Post
I agree . I was also hoping the following in addition.

Ex. Your ship is in the midst of a pvp or pve match. Even if you are healed, it doesnt change the damage texture on your ship. There's just something epic about flying a ship that's on it's last legs but still going through with the tast at hand. It woudn't affect actual performs, but maybe if your nacelles are leaking, your ship spins slightly in space, etc.
This ^^^

I would like to see the ship break up before it goes bang. part of the saucer section tear itself off, the nacelles drift off, the bridge itself explode, ect ect
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-16-2011, 01:38 PM
it occurred to me today just how insignificant ship explosions where. i think if ships hulls did float around it would add more atmosphere to the battlefield. space would start to show the signs of battle rather than being dull
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I would like to see them make use of PhysX more to create epic damage effects and hull debris flying around from explosions.
Toggle option of course.