Lt. Commander
# 1 Doff crafting
12-16-2011, 12:28 PM
How about letting me craft with my Doffs instead of going to Mem Alpha? Maybe short 1-5 minute crafting missions.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-16-2011, 03:15 PM
We've talked about reexamining crafting in light of the duty officer system. It is something that Borticus will be looking into.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
We've talked about reexamining crafting in light of the duty officer system. It is something that Borticus will be looking into.
Nice to hear this! The Duty Officer system is a lot of fun, I'm curious what Cryptic has in mind for it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
It would be nice if we could use the DOff system to negate Dilithium tax.
Instead of paying up in dilithium to Craft an item we instead pay "time" with the DOff system.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Instead of paying up in dilithium to Craft an item we instead pay "time" with the DOff system.
I really like this idea!
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-16-2011, 03:23 PM
How to craft a doff:

10x Sugar particles
8x Nice particles
5x Spice (for KDF doffs) particles

= 1 common doff. Double the requirements to create green, blue and purple doffs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Very unlikely, IMO.
Cryptic wants you to buy gold - I mean, CP which you then trade for dilithium. The "tax" exists to get you to spend more cash. It's not going away. Get used to it.

EDIT: Besides, in a (deliberately?) very limited fashion, you can already use the DOff system for this. Each Assignment you complete gives you a small amount of dilithium. Grind away at it, day after day, and you can get as much as you need.
Or you could just take the money that your employer already trades you for your time and work, and spend that on what you want in game, rather than turning the latter into a second job.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_Mudd
Very unlikely, IMO.
Cryptic wants you to buy gold - I mean, CP which you then trade for dilithium. The "tax" exists to get you to spend more cash. It's not going away. Get used to it.
IDK. The whole point of allowing people to trade DL for CPs in the first place is some people would rather spend money than take the time to earn the DL. This would give people an even further option of waiting...idk, maybe 12-24hrs on a crafting assignment to complete(maybe even with a possibility of failure?) as opposed to spending the DL to get it right way.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-16-2011, 04:05 PM
That's one way the trade can go, certainly, and that's part of the foundation of the F2P model: some people have more cash than time, and would like to spend money to avoid having to spend the time normally required (grinding, etc). To people who sees those activities as The Game, it looks a lot like paying to win said game.

With all of that said, I believe that Cryptic is more likely to look at the transaction from the side of getting people to give them more money up front.

EDIT: Or, to put it yet another way:
The addition of dilithium as a necessary component to the crafting system is to make it possible to pay Cryptic to shortcut crafting. Under the old system, they'd have to sell samples and/or traces in the C-store. By making those materials less relevant, replacing them with dilithium as the bottleneck that you can pay either time or money to acquire, they reduce the issue to one currency, the same one they're using for everything else.

Crafting was never free, but people were inclined to not count the time spent gathering materials. Cryptic has made that cost more explicit, and given players the option of earning things with out-of-game labor instead of in-game. In a lot of cases, spending RL money will actually be more cost-effective than spending the same amount of time in game. It depends on which "job" you find more fulfilling.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailman653 View Post
How to craft a doff:

10x Sugar particles
8x Nice particles
5x Spice (for KDF doffs) particles

= 1 common doff. Double the requirements to create green, blue and purple doffs.

Ultra Rares require 1x Chemical X.