Lt. Commander
# 51
12-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

Grinding is not gameplay, grind hides lack of gameplay. Grinding a mission dozens of times a day to get 1 item is pathetic. Grinding only appeals to the OCD crowd.

I'll never have maco gear because I'll never force myself into boring repetative gameplay for ANY item.

It's sad that Cryptic is adding grind to STO, but you don't HAVE to do STF's, you don't HAVE to do dailes. Do what you find fun. Be event driven, not item driven.

I never do endgame raids in MMO's with anyone but my closest friends. Endgame raids are horrible, repetative, gamee-changing areas frequented mostly by anal retentive obsessive people who will not group with anyone who isn't running the exactly speced, wiki approved, meta build for said area. No thank you!
Awesome post.
Lt. Commander
# 52
12-18-2011, 07:22 PM
The grind is ridiculous, i just hit the milestone of doing 75 stfs with my main toon, i was kind of surprised honestly, id thought id done less than that.

They have made some tweaks, but its still not enough. Yeah, I saw more rare salvage this past weekend due to the drop rate increase, but I have yet to see one of the monster drops (the drops that allow you to get a piece of gear right away) and I am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of others who havent seen these mythical drops.

Dont even get me started on the mk xii gear, gating it to the super hard, borg one-shot fest, ship damaging, cluster f&%@ version of the stfs needs to be dragged out into the street and beaten with the blunt end of a lirpa. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the same sadistic ******* who gave the gateways weapons... if thats true they get the sharp end.

The grinding isnt so bad, if its not all your doing, luckily i have dailies and other fun things i like to do to break up the snore-fest, but they definitely have a long way to go to make this crap fun (if theres even a chance of that).
Lt. Commander
# 53
12-19-2011, 06:28 PM
It's nice to know so many of us have the same opinion.

The simple math of having to complete 120 STFs just to get 1 set of gear is ridiculous....

This whole situation pretty much converted me from wanting to login every day to meet up with my friends and my fleet, to trying to find the energy to even open the game launcher...I ran out of energy after 2 days of trying to endure the grindfest.

I have nothing but respect for anyone willing to dedicate their time to the grinding needed to get the gear, and I want the gear as well, but with 7 alts at the level cap, I can't imagine how many hours of my life I would waste to get all of my alts equipped with the new gear....

I sincerely hope that everyone at Cryptic wishes they could go back in time ( about 9 months ) and make better decisions on where they wanted this game to go...

The Doff system just isn't enough to keep me coming back, and the dilithium economy, STF grind fest, and complete lack of new game content pretty much repelled me from a game I just couldn't get enough of.

I wlil tip my hat to the folks that are creating some great new content within the Foundry, but until Cryptic makes the darn missions "readable" by the entire team, there's not much point in joining up with friends in this game anymore.

Sadly, a fair majority of my friends' list let their subscriptions expire, but I really hope most of them will be back when F2P finally happens...grindfests suck, but the game is still fun to play with friends.
Lt. Commander
# 54
12-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Season 5 and the whole F2P thing, along with the ridiculous grind, have really made me begin to loathe STO. Cryptic is VERY close to losing one paying customer.

My main problem with STO from the beginning has been lack of content, and the focus on the C-store. Now, we still don't have content, and EVERYTHING is related to the Cstore.

My main problem with MMO's in general is stupid grinding. I don't have anything else to do in this game but acquire items. And now I have to grind like crazy to get a decent set, and to get the best set you have to be just plain lucky.

I'm getting very, very tired. I want to like STO. I really do. But Cryptic is doing EVERYTHING in their power to make this game awful. For every step they take foreward, they take two steps back.
Lt. Commander
# 55
12-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmendel46 View Post
Season 5 and the whole F2P thing, along with the ridiculous grind, have really made me begin to loathe STO. Cryptic is VERY close to losing one paying customer.

My main problem with STO from the beginning has been lack of content, and the focus on the C-store. Now, we still don't have content, and EVERYTHING is related to the C-Store.

My main problem with MMO's in general is stupid grinding. I don't have anything else to do in this game but acquire items. And now I have to grind like crazy to get a decent set, and to get the best set you have to be just plain lucky.

I'm getting very, very tired. I want to like STO. I really do. But Cryptic is doing EVERYTHING in their power to make this game awful. For every step they take foreword, they take two steps back.
Yeah... that's the main thing that bothers me...

There's no Real Skill involved in getting the stuff anymore... (not that there was that much to begin with)...

Now though..., it's ALL LUCK of the Lottery...

All They are doing is making the game a Universe of HAVE & HAVE NOT'S...

If yer not so Lucky.. oh well... save up yer daily grind of Dilithium and in six months (or there abouts) buy the stuff ya want...

What the Hell Happened....?...
Lt. Commander
# 56
12-19-2011, 10:12 PM
I do not mind some grinding for gear but there needs to be a fair way to achieve it. Its hard enough to get the prototype salvage lets alone the individual set Pisces for mark 12. Drops rates need to be increased all around btw haven't gotten a single prototype since the alleged increase in drop rate which prior to i had 3............In addition rare borg salvage which can be earned on both normal and elite stf should be trade able for prototype gear as well as prototype salvage should be trade able for set Pisces. I would even go so far as that at certain accolade tiers perhaps 75 and 150 people should be awarded a token for mk 12 gear. Giving away a few tokens for x completions isnt that bad since if one were to collect all the mk 12 sets u need 12 lotto drops. Not to mention the fact we have basically been doing the same missions for 2 years and our on are third loot rewards. First beings marks of valor for borg weapons two being the borg set and now the new sets.
Lt. Commander
# 57
12-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Assuming you were guaranteed to get the sets by running each STF once. Mk XI from the normal and XII from the elite. Then what?
Lt. Commander
# 58
12-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Quote:
I know that there have been plenty of threads dedicated to this subject. But since they are making me grind in game, why not grind on the forums as well.

Enough is enough! I'm not doing another single STF run! It was fun for maybe the first 20 to 30 runs, but now it's just turned into a mindless, endless GRIND! I can't take it anymore. In those thirty or so runs, NOT A SINGLE RARE OR EVEN UNCOMMON BORG TECH HAS DROPPED, FOR ANYONE that I've been grouped with!!!!
Cryptic, please, for the love of (insert deity of preference here) please give us an alternate way to earn the new M.A.C.O gear.

Because in two little word's:

GRINDING SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I don't know whoever thought that this would be a fun novel way to get gear. Believe me it's not, now I have nothing to do in this game. PVP is so unbalanced it sucks to be you, if you are not on a pre-made team. Not only that, but the only other "END GAME" content that we had has been turned into nothing but a GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, GRIND GRIND, GRIND!!!!

Please for the love of(Insert you're deity of choice here) rethink this strategy of your's. Because I'm about at the end of my rope as far as STAR TREK "GRIND" ONLINE is concerned!!

The only two reason's I'm even still here are:
One: I'm a Lifer
Two: I keep hoping in vain that this game will get better.

I was initially really excited for Season 5. The DOFF system showed some promise, but it only took a couple of hours playing around with it to figure out just how shallow it was. There is no feeling, there is no connection to you're DOFF's. My only concern when one dies on a mission is "Crap, now I gotta find another one with those same or similar abilities". Not "Damn I really liked him/her/it, why oh why cruel world did him/her/it have to die?" That's the reaction you should have. The mission completed reported is stale and matter of fact, why not try to embellish on or spruce up that dialogue. Give it some character.

Better wake up Cryptic and tell you're PW overlords that this game is targeted at a Western market and that the Eastern/Asia-P2W P2Grind strategy will most likely fail in a Western market.

P.S.: I will NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER spend another DIME on a GRAB-BAG from the C-Store. I don't care if you include a guaranteed pic from Lindsey Lohan's Playboy shoot in every bag! Also I swear to(Insert deity of preference here) if the only way to get the new Ent-F class, when it's finally released is to GRIND endlessly the same three missions over and over again. I will never spend another dollar in the C-Store and I will most likely never play this game again.
Honestly i Feel ya in a way i actually cancelled my Career member ship and now i just pay month to month why? because if this game gets boring at least i can reup and play but thats just preference of course. But i have been here since day 1, i have grind and grind and grind as well, but what can you do really? i have pretty much given up sitting here for hours upon hours killing the same stupid borg and simitar just to geta few drops that aint worth a damn, hell half the gear i pick up i turn right around and sell it on the exchange because it isnt worth anything.

They might as well take all the gear for starships like shields, deflectors and engines, put them on a huge cargo ship send them out into space and shoot about 30 Quantum torpedoes at it for target practice because there worthless they have no perks that mean anything you can pair them up with borg gear, or Aigis gear, or breen gear, so what are they in the game for ?? everyone uses borg, maco, breen, aigis anyways so whats the point lol, but i have just stopped doing the STF's i might get on and feel like doing one, if i feel like it, send my DOFF's off the entertain another group of who ever's and come back later and i might play a round and i might not. only reason i feel ya is because i have been grinding since day one lol and im burned out on it as well.

I love startrek thats the only reason I stay with this game, my friend went to swtor and hes like dude is so much fun and im like i dont care, its not about being how much fun it is when you love something you stick with it, if i get swtor ill play it for sure but im not going to neglect startrek since i actually love startrek more the star wars. For me StarTrek gives you a sense of realism of what might or could be and star wars is just a bunch of made up crap that just fun to play with.

my honest opinion just hang with it bud those who have been around long enough to get there 600 day should feel a little tired, and you guys who just started just be quiet have fun and play the game because we have already put enough hours into this game i could have played it from started to finish about 100 times.
Lt. Commander
# 59
12-20-2011, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneRommel
Assuming you were guaranteed to get the sets by running each STF once. Mk XI from the normal and XII from the elite. Then what?
not really sure where the Mark XII gear even fits in you really dont get that big of a bonus by using them your better off keeping your Mark XI very rare gear instead
Lt. Commander
# 60
12-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Shannon_W_Hall
not really sure where the Mark XII gear even fits in you really dont get that big of a bonus by using them your better off keeping your Mark XI very rare gear instead
It has better visuals and a slightly better set bonus. That's about it.

I guess I was trying to ask if you are only doing them for gear what will you do after you have it? Borg gear is only (ok, mostly) useful vs Borg anyway.
Closed Thread