Lt. Commander
# 21
12-17-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure what people find so awful about random fleet invites in common, noob areas like ESD. I'm a bit flattered when I get random fleet invites, and if I'm not interested, I just decline. It's like you are passing through the quad on a college campus and someone offers you a flyer for a random off campus party. Even if you figure they are just asking you at random, not cause they like anything about you, you can still just say "no thanks. It's cool.".

I have often helped people get fleets started and then left. I was glad to help them out.

It's not like they are invading the sanctity of your bridge to give you an invite.

It does bug me when I get random PvP invites, cause I feel like someone has a beef with me and wants to pick a fight or something. IDK, maybe it's just a friendly match they want to feel, but I feel like some dude in the quad came up to me an said "You wanna fight, huh? Do ya punk?!" Then usually I send to zone asking if anyone knows who this person is or what I did to make them mad that they want to start a fight with me.

We already have options to set for teaming, including turning off open teaming. Maybe there needs to be a game wide option like this so that people can black all messages, in any channel, from anyone who is not on their friends list or a fleet member. Some people seem like they just hate people and don't want to make any new friends. it's weird to me, but if that's how they feel, I don't see why the game shouldn't accommodate them. If they want to hang an invisible, virtual, 'do not disturb' sign on their characters then more power to them.

Then when someone tries to contact these people with PM or in any chat channel, if they have the 'friends & fleet only' option set, it will return a message to the sender that says something like:

"The person or a person in the zone you have tried to contact does not accept messages from people who are not on their contact list or fleet roster. They learned when they were 6 years old never to talk to strangers -- it's worked out pretty good for them so far and they are not about to change for the likes of you."
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry110 View Post
It is not anger and I am not just refering to my own experience within the game, but the constant whinning, moaning and shouting out that, this person is spamming or that person is spamming, it is getting rediculous that people are not able to use the chat channels without someone having a go at them.

If they really feel annoyed about it they should go elsewhere and not be-little others because they have a god complex.

This is how I see it and I don't feel superior nor stronger, but it is something that has to be said and addressed especially when the game changes to F2P and the channels become more active and your own reply to my quote is self evident enough.

Thank you for making my point.
You should post your fleet name in this thread. That way we'll all know who to report as spam when we see you posting your self important advertisements in chat
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-17-2011, 03:04 PM
There is so much fleet recruitment going on in ESD and SOL/Sirius that people are fed up with it, so they report everyone no matter if it's only posted once or 10 times....

Though i have to say that i prefer zone recruiters more then the $${${]{@ ninja recruiters that doesn't even have the courtesy of ASKING first...
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgald View Post
There is so much fleet recruitment going on in ESD and SOL/Sirius that people are fed up with it, so they report everyone no matter if it's only posted once or 10 times....

Though i have to say that i prefer zone recruiters more then the $${${]{@ ninja recruiters that doesn't even have the courtesy of ASKING first...

Yes, but even with the extra reporting, no one is going to get silenced by Cryptic for "spamming" a mesage once. It has to meet their guidelines for it to be acted upon. The forums have a section dedicated to fleet recruitment therefore these zone messages are unnecessary.

I wish there were recruting and trading channels, frankly I'd like to see all that garbage removed from local and zone chat.

Having said that, there definitely are self appointed "sherrifs" around who study every rule and report EVERY infraction, and I just wish a few of them would get a slap for abusing the system.

Also, to the OP, I'd tread lightly with this thread, publically questioning punnishment for infractions is also "against the rules", and I wouldn't be supprised if someone already reported this thread for that.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

Yes, but even with the extra reporting, no one is going to get silenced by Cryptic for "spamming" a mesage once. It has to meet their guidelines for it to be acted upon. The forums have a section dedicated to fleet recruitment therefore these zone messages are unnecessary.

I wish there were recruting and trading channels, frankly I'd like to see all that garbage removed from local and zone chat.

Having said that, there definitely are self appointed "sherrifs" around who study every rule and report EVERY infraction, and I just wish a few of them would get a slap for abusing the system.

Also, to the OP, I'd tread lightly with this thread, publically questioning punnishment for infractions is also "against the rules", and I wouldn't be supprised if someone already reported this thread for that.
Your definition of garbage isn't the same as everyone else. Besides, if that was done then there would be no more zone chat :p
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenEricII

Having said that, there definitely are self appointed "sherrifs" around who study every rule and report EVERY infraction

Yes there are, too many IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-17-2011, 05:23 PM
STO players are too sensitive to stuff like this, and as a result the people who actually DO spam get the same treatment as those that are just chatting. I was also silenced after posting once about a BO i was trying to sell but it was already commissioned.

Not Spam:
  • Brief messages about your fleet for recruitment (reasonable cadence)
  • Brief messages about trying to sell something (reasonable cadence)
  • One person dragging a couple items or a small set into the chat window to display stats and discuss

Spam (Use Team Chat, Fleet Chat, or some relevant Channel if you're doing these):
  • Posting about your fleet ALL DAY EVERY DAY WITHOUT FAIL (a Dutch fleet used to powerspam ESD this way)
  • Posting your entire freaking ship build in chat
  • Posting your entire freaking ground build in chat
  • Posting your entire freaking C-Store p2w inventory in chat
  • Posting every freaking blue or purple item you get... as you get it...
  • Insisting you're not spamming when doing the above and others ask you to knock it off
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblinian View Post
He's done it for minutes that means over and over and over and there's no stopping it.

This banning is implemented for a reason and based on that description, the punishment was deserved.
as far as I know this report spam button is for reporting cred seller services.. abuse of it (like reporting normal players) should be punished tbh :p
It should not be up to the player A; B; C & D to decide if player F talks too much in chat
that for you can use the ignore function
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Your definition of garbage isn't the same as everyone else. Besides, if that was done then there would be no more zone chat :p

I never once stated or assumed I was speaking for everyone. If I were to hazard a guess though, I would guess more people would like to see this disappear from zone chat than would like it to stay.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-17-2011, 10:09 PM
As someone who has lead guilds and co-hosted RP events in other games, the Art of Self-Promotion is a delicate balance. I learned to never send out any announcement whatsoever more that once in a 30-minute period of time. It doesn't matter which channel I was using.

Even if all Fleet promoters thought the same thing, that wouldn't prevent 10 Fleets from overlapping one another in Zone chat within, say a 15 minute period. Player's just need to acknowledge this is the lay of the land and accept it.