Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Lt. Commander
Okay, seriously... Who designed this $h!+?

Here's my beef: I've taken 20h or 2 days or whatever it is to do my "recruit officer cadre" assignments.

1) My duty roster is full, which means I have to sell or dismiss DOFFs with no guarantee of who I'll be getting in return. I'd much rather that DOFFs go into a queue from which I can select KNOWN DOFFs to add after deleting existing active DOFFs on my roster.

2) The way things show up on my completed assignments, I can mouse over the "rewards" for the mission (2 DOFFs) and see names of the DOFFs, which I can then look up in the exchange (since mousing over them DOES NOT bring up any stats on them or their abilities/traits). [I don't know if it matters, but I've already got two DOFF items in my inventory that I haven't 'used,' I don't know if that's why I'm now seeing names associated with DOFF cadre assignment rewards or not. Don't remember it showing specific names before?]

I currently have two completed missions (well, had, really). If I switch back and forth between them the officers listedi n the mouse-over CHANGE! WTF? Why do they keep changing? What's the point of SHOWING the names of the officers if every time I come back it's a DIFFERENT officer? If it's going to be random, DON'T show names, just say "random DOFF." 'Cause I just saw a DOFF I liked, clicked "claim rewards" and DIDN'T GET the listed DOFFs, I got two completely different DOFFs than the ones listed.

After wasting 20h or 2 days or whatever, that seriously annoys me and makes me not want to use the DOFF system anymore. I just got rid of two DOFFs I sort of liked in order to get two DOFFs I sort of liked better and then ended up NOT GETTING the DOFFs I was EXPECTING, since those were the names showing up in the Completed Assignment screen as rewards... WTF Cryptic. Fix your ***** so it makes sense and doesn't screw over your players.

[/end frustrated rant]

Seriously, we need a queue system where DOFFs go before you add them to your roster officially (just like with BOFFs), but they CAN go there so you can clear up completed assignments without having them 'sit' because you can't collect your DOFFs. And, ideally, such a 'pool' of candidates would not have an arbitrary cap on the numbers. If I want to have a 'pool' with a thousand candidates, I should be able to have a pool with a thousand candidates. Even if I'm only able to make a hundred or so "active"/"usable" on my roster. (For that matter, I don't know why there's still an artificial limit on how many items you can list in the exchange. That seems silly to me. Why can't we just sell anything and everything we've acquired?)

As it is, I have two cadre 'consumables' in my inventory I'm leery of "using" since I'll have to delete DOFFs with no guarantee that the DOFFs replacing them will be even remotely related let alone "better" than the GOOD DOFFs I'll have to dismiss to get them.

This is becoming more frustrating than it needs to be. I'm hoping this all gets fixed, and SOON... I like the game, but some aspects of it are REALLY frustrating/silly.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Mail doffs to youself to make room, no need to dismiss something with no guarantee you'll get them back.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Hadn't considered that, may have to use it as a "workaround," but honestly I'd rather the system just gets FIXED so it MAKES SENSE... Workarounds wouldn't be necessary if things just worked right to begin with. But, I know it's a "new system" and the bugs need some time to sort themselves out. So, here's hoping.

Long and short of it, for those who prefer not to sit through long rants (sorry, needed to get frustration off chest):

If DOFF drops from completed recruiting assignments are truly going to be RANDOM, then there should be NO names displayed in the Completed Assignments screen under Rewards, 'cause it sets up an unreasonable expectation in the mind of the end user that the displayed DOFFs are what you WILL ABSOLUTELY RECEIVE when you click "claim rewards." If you then do not receive said DOFFs, then it's basically false advertising, and the end user gets frustrated and wants to bash some heads. Y'know?

---------

My opinion, collecting rewards shouldn't get 'held up' due to artificial limits on 'slots' for collected items like BOFFs / DOFFs (I don't care as much about inventory slots, which relatively make sense and you can sell your items easily enough). I just feel like BOFFs/DOFFs need to go into an unlimited 'pool' of discrete 'candidates' from which you can pick and choose at your leisure AFTER you've seen exactly who your candidates are.

I don't see any reason why the pool should be restricted in number. It's just way too artificial. And I know from working with databases that you can just set up a one-to-many relationship between a character & their list of BOFFs or DOFFs, and there's no reason such a list should need to be capped arbitrarily. Databases can handle such relationships with ease. The interface just maybe needs some minor tweaking to deal with breaking up or in some way sorting longer lists, but it should be doable. I know, I know. Limited programming resources. But, once it's done and makes sense, it's largely done and hopefully won't need to be revisited repeatedly later. And then users will be less frustrated and stop b!tch!ng about it, 'cause it'll be 'fixed'...
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Hmmm... I agree it's frustrtating any time DOFFs get 're-randomized'. IDK why the ones you end up with don't match the ones that you sometimes see a preview of.

I guess 'buy more slots' doesn't help because it's not that you want more DOFFs, it's that you want to be able to 'fine tune' the 'full' set you have now? I can see that angle i guess.

But I'm not sure why you would start any new assignments if you already like all the DOFFS you have?

If you like all your current DOFFs, then you are done -- you have a nice full set that you are happy with.

If you don't like some of your DOFFs then discharge them and roll for some new ones with a fresh mission.

I'm not sure why this is insufficient.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-17-2011, 02:54 PM
There are 2 things you can do so you don't lose the DOFF's you have either put them on the exchange for millions or mail them to yourself. You can get them beck either of these 2 ways.

Heretic is aware of this bug and has been trying to fix it so hopefully we will see a fix soon......
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-17-2011, 10:55 PM
If your Duty Officer roster is full, perhaps you can simply avoid doing Duty Officer recruitment assigments.

Alternatively or in addition, I suggest you dismiss white/common Duty Officers regularly as well as bound duty officers (which you cannot mail or sell or trade) to make room for more recuits.

You will receive 75 Dilithium Ore and 10 Recruitment XP for each dismissed Duty Officer, and you will regularly receive the recruitment assignments to get more and more free Duty Officers. Don't worry - those assignments reappear.

So keep Duty Ofifcers with good traits, such as logical and eidetic memory, and dump those with less valuable traits.

Personally, I get rid of almost all my Tellarites (stubbon little jerks ), and on my Fed characters, I generally dismiss aggressive and honorable Duty Officers, since such traits are generally not needed often in Federation Assignments.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Really? You can have 105 Doffs and leave 5 open slots. That's plenty in my book. And you can get up to 400 if you want to spend c-points.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
The random duty officers appearing as rewards is a known bug that we have a fix we think will solve the problem in the pipeline.

It was never intended that you could see the reward before you turned it in; the fix is to show a generic icon.