Lt. Commander
I've really had fun with the Deferi Ground event and actually have some fun with the Borg. However, there is one major aspect of the Deferi Ground event that really infuriates me, and that is the stealing that occurs in this event.

Today, two fleets that were grouped up with each other in the Power Plant - Medium Level, barged right though my group's camping of the Deferi Rescue and over and over again stole the deferi after we cleared the Tactical Borg. We politely asked them a couple of times to stop and they outright ignored us. When PMs were exchanged they stated "Oh we didnt' know you were there", and then decided to stay and purposely steal the camp from us. Needless to say, GM reports were filed.

And this isn't the only incident, I'm sure many of you had moments you were stolen from as well. Like in the City with the Turrets, the Assimilation Rescue, and the House Rescue. Or on the Temple where you cleared the Borg and someone just waltzes right in and scans that ruin.

I honestly don't know why the Dev Team made it an event where people are pitted against one another instead of working together. Its so competitive that it really brings out the worst in people with the "oh well, deal with it" mentality. So I really hope the Dev team is going to revise the event where players cannot steal from others like what was done with the Academy Event. It's just wrong that you do all the work and take away what you earned.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
It is an open mission area. That kind of stuff will happen no matter what. I personally think it is nice to see a group of people all fighting the enemy with each group/person competing at the same time trying to complete their mission oblectives.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-17-2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by machocyclone View Post
It is an open mission area. That kind of stuff will happen no matter what. I personally think it is nice to see a group of people all fighting the enemy with each group/person competing at the same time trying to complete their mission oblectives.
There's this but much can be done to alleviate Azurian's problem, like extending the duration of the invasion and making it more frequent. Even without the objective stealing issue, this is the first truly new content we've had in months, why can't we do it more? Especially as it's not on a timer and its in time slots, you may never get to do it if life gets in the way.

Anyways, I've encountered these problems as well, unfortunately if people are gits, they're going to be gits and you can't really change that which brings me back to my original suggestion.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-17-2011, 05:52 PM
It's the same problem with the Winter Race, some people have the mentality that their time is too valuable, and that everyone else should spend time to make them spend less. It's an unfortunate fact of life that the internet brings out a lot of the jerk in people.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-17-2011, 06:28 PM
All i can say OP, is that STO is becoming more like other MMOs, where such behavior is "normal".
Players like to treat every respawn like a Black Friday sale, and don't really care who they trample along the way to the deal they want. The only thing that stops them is getting in trouble with such behavior.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
All i can say OP, is that STO is becoming more like other MMOs, where such behavior is "normal".
Players like to treat every respawn like a Black Friday sale, and don't really care who they trample along the way to the deal they want. The only thing that stops them is getting in trouble with such behavior.
You mean like the idiots who mash 'NEED' on every loot drop in the STFs, regardless of how many times you PM them telling them it is bad form to do so?
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
It's an unfortunate fact of life that the internet brings out a lot of the jerk in people.
Unfortunately, that is the truth of the internet.

People's anonomity gives them false courage and the fact they could practically get away with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Collier
There's this but much can be done to alleviate Azurian's problem, like extending the duration of the invasion and making it more frequent. Even without the objective stealing issue, this is the first truly new content we've had in months, why can't we do it more? Especially as it's not on a timer and its in time slots, you may never get to do it if life gets in the way.

Anyways, I've encountered these problems as well, unfortunately if people are gits, they're going to be gits and you can't really change that which brings me back to my original suggestion.
Yes, having more availability would lessen some strife. Especially people who have trouble grouping in the same instance. But I think the Dev Team made it that way so people wouldn't wear it out and have it turn into another deserted location.

Perhaps that comm station is a sign they plan on adding to it later on and have the event evolve into a type of dynamic event where the Borg gain more of a foothold and then is driven away.

But with regarding the objective stealing, perhaps instead of individualism, the Dev Team could've made it more of a community effort. The more people working together, the more progress is made and it advances to the next stage and eventually everyone has part in a major final battle that would make the Elite STFs pale in comparison. But the player numbers would make up for that.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-17-2011, 07:02 PM
It's not all bad guys. While shutting down coolant in the power plant, I ran across a player with a bunch of borg attacking him. I killed, some, he killed some. He was there first so he shut down the coolant. Afterwards, he waited until it reset and helped me kill the borg that spawned in, before leaving himself.

Mechanically, however, there is an actual solution to this that would encourage cooperation rather than discourage it. Have the objectives in the Invasion zone work the same way the rerouting power consoles on Drozana work, i.e. whether or not an item has been 'retrieved' or not depends on the player, not on the item. So if two players randomly show up to kill the borg around the same artifact, they kill the borg, then they can both walk up to the artifact and retrieve it. Suddenly, other players are your allies, fighting together against a common foe, instead of rivals more frustrating and difficult to deal with than your nominal enemy.

They've done a bit of this in some missions, providing enough objects that are easily acquired that people don't really need to compete much, and getting sniped isn't a big deal
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Unfortunately, that is the truth of the internet.

People's anonomity gives them false courage and the fact they could practically get away with anything.
We have to work on an invention to punch people in the face and/or throat over the internet.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-17-2011, 07:08 PM
What we need is a team mode and a Global mode people can chose from as they enter.

Team mode would generate the map but limit it to two 5 man teams. When anyone takes on a mission everyone in both teams shares it and when anyone in the zone completes the mission everyone in the zone completes it. Rewards for each mission would be reduced but there would be an additional reward for completing every mission in the event in one run.

Global mode would be left as it currently is.