Lt. Commander
I saw in the patch notes that the Hargh'Peng was adjusted to match the current skill system. I am not really sure what that means considering if anything it was nerfed by the new weak general Torp Consoles when the new system went live.

So did it get further nerfed, did it get buffed, or is it no different really?
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-16-2011, 05:17 PM
well, let's think about it

the Hargh'Peng did lower damage than a Quantum, but had a unique effect to make up for it (massive Area-of-Effect explosion with great damage, if it went off)

according to the patch notes, it's been rebalanced to be fair with the new skill system.

meaning, if nothing's really changed drastically, the Hargh'Peng will be the exact same as I described, just with new numbers

of course, that's what i think. i haven't really seen it yet myself
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-16-2011, 05:38 PM
I know at least the initial strike got weaker with the rebalance, I haven't done any major testing to see if the DoT or secondary explosion was affected. Actually, it might be more accurate to say the Hargh'Peng is now properly affected by the Projectile skill. Before Season 5 went live, I wrote down some of the numbers I felt were important to compare between the skill system, and I noticed that the Hargh'Peng would do exactly the same damage under both systems, despite my spending different amounts into Projectile skills.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
well, let's think about it

the Hargh'Peng did lower damage than a Quantum, but had a unique effect to make up for it (massive Area-of-Effect explosion with great damage, if it went off)

according to the patch notes, it's been rebalanced to be fair with the new skill system.

meaning, if nothing's really changed drastically, the Hargh'Peng will be the exact same as I described, just with new numbers

of course, that's what i think. i haven't really seen it yet myself
do you mean previously or now?...

if previously i could hit way more with hargh's than Quant's (even skilled in Quant's maxed out)
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-16-2011, 07:57 PM
when the new skill system came on, the hargh peng did 9k damafe on skills alone. buffed with tac buffs it went up to 20k combined with debuffs like beta or mark target it did like boom your dead now.
the secondary hit very hard too.

It was apparent it was bugged, the same way the TSS was bugged (it was healing like 600/sec).

TSS is back at around 300 now, and harg pengs hover at quantum level damage per hit + about as much as secondary - not counting 16 ticks of dot (about 2k)

So pengs got "nerfed" in the sense that their op bugness was fixed.

arguably still the best torpedo you can fit on your cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-16-2011, 08:04 PM
In the old skill system, har'pengs only got the low generic bonuses on tiers 1 and 2, but with that could still hold their own against torpedoes that got that the higher type-specific skill bonuses as well.

In the new skill system, because the type specific skills were rolled into the generic skills, meaning it got the full skill benefit that other torpedoes get. If it was holding its own with a fraction of that bonus, getting the whole thing just took it to extremes.

So it was nerfed, but only nerfed back to what it was before season 5, which was still a really good torpedo.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
In the old skill system, har'pengs only got the low generic bonuses on tiers 1 and 2, but with that could still hold their own against torpedoes that got that the higher type-specific skill bonuses as well.

In the new skill system, because the type specific skills were rolled into the generic skills, meaning it got the full skill benefit that other torpedoes get. If it was holding its own with a fraction of that bonus, getting the whole thing just took it to extremes.

So it was nerfed, but only nerfed back to what it was before season 5, which was still a really good torpedo.
So essentially is just a neutral change bringing it back to where it should be not reaaaallly nerfing it because it was never meant to get quite so out of hand. Gotchya.

Thank you very much.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-19-2011, 11:04 AM
I've been thinking the same thing with Transphasics. I went on a couple of space-related exploration missions with my Fed Sci and was absolutely tearing up opponenets with those things.

Maybe it's just the Breen set I'm carrying...
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
the Hargh'Peng doing quantum damage on hit, a dot, and then the explosion does not sound balanced to me, and it never has been.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
the Hargh'Peng doing quantum damage on hit, a dot, and then the explosion does not sound balanced to me, and it never has been.
Except the Hargh'Peng also has nearly twice the cooldown time plus a large global cooldown on multiples so you can't spam them like you can Quantums. In terms of DPS they are relatively equal.