Lt. Commander
As the title suggests, I no longer see the point of crafting in STO. I was around when crafting was introduced, and was not impressed.... I was around for the crafting revamp, and started to see some usefulness... and with season 5, crafting is back to completely useless.

The unreplicapable goods needed are so expensive that going to all the trouble of crafting items just isn't worth it. Before, we could use the crafting system to get gear from anomalies. Now, we can use the crafting system to get a 25% discount. A massive gain, and you still have to spend almost the same amount of Dilithium.... It's a sad excuse for a crafting system, and should be removed from the game, because it deducts from the quality of the game as a whole, and the game would appear like more of a quality product with crafting removed!

Yes, that's how bad crafting is now.

The math: XI blue console= 7 uncommon unreplicapable and about 70 common = 7700 Dilithium+anomalies, and that is AFTER you've spent a few 100k Dilithium leveling up a crafter. The alternative is ofc to just buy the console for 11k dilithium. No matter if you do nothing but crafting, the 3k difference in price will never earn you back the Dilithium you spent leveling up the crafting toon. It's just a big hollow pointless grind.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-18-2011, 06:47 AM
it was a grind before, it's a grind now, nothing's really changed

and the point? it gives people a choice in how they want to spend their dilithilum, whether it's for the high-end gear (that costs 20K and upward...), or craft schematics and devices, which only cost anomalies, then the craft the high-end gear and nothing else (then the dilithilum cost is thousands under 20K, especially if you time your crafting to that 'Time to Craft' in-game event)

i used it before, i use it now, and i love it let people choose how they wish to grind
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-18-2011, 07:40 AM
they will be revamping it shortly watch l this weeks episode of STOked and you will find out
J-Man is going to be adding a bunch of new stuff for us to craft

he is big into crafting
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Hope he drops the costs across the board. Even 10 percent would be nice, then it's not as expensive. It still costs, but it's not quite as painful.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Crafting is awesome. I've been a fan of crafting in RPGs. And, crafting wise, no much has changed with the Season 5 release. You always had to grind it out to find data samples, it's not any different now, especially since you can do the exploration missions daily and get both data samples and dilithium. (or you can craft odd-number gear without dilithium)

Really, grinding it out for crafting is nothing that's even exclusive to MMO games. I've played regular RPGs that have crafting, like Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. Even in that game, you have to grind it out to find parts to craft weapons and armor. You could buy some parts, but you still had to have funds to buy them. It's a grind, no matter how you look at it, but RPGs have always been a grind.

Don't say they should remove something from the game just because you don't like it. Based on the crowd I usually see at Memory Alpha, I'd say crafting in STO is very popular.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-18-2011, 04:37 PM
In general I'd like to see two changes made to crafting. First remove the dilitium requirement from all Uncommon quality items. This would make leveling crafting easier since green items are cheaper to craft and would also encourage using crafting for leveling gear (since green quality even mark gear is quite useful. Secondly I'd like to see the dilitium cost for crafted items reduced, currently it seems to be about 70% and I'd like to see it drop to 50%.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Why on earth would we want *anything* removed from the game? No matter how flawed it might be at present, asking for the devs to "just get rid of it" is, at the end of the day, spitefully giving us even less than we had before.

Disregarding how much of a mess the situation is, you might not think that a few thousand dilithium is much of a difference, given the options between making it yourself and just buying it outright... But to some people in this game, myself included, who do not have hours to sink in to a grind fest every day, 3,300 dilithium (the 25% margin you referred to) is basically three dailies worth of resources. Over the course of a week, that's going to seriously add up.

No, I don't want to see crafting removed. Improved? Absolutely, and I'm willing to give Borticus time to come up with something that's better than the status quo.

But please dont ask for something to be removed, just because you, personally, don't find a use for it.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
Why on earth would we want *anything* removed from the game? No matter how flawed it might be at present, asking for the devs to "just get rid of it" is, at the end of the day, spitefully giving us even less than we had before..
Because *anything* is not always better than nothing. *Anything* has the same potential to make *something* worse as it has to make it better.

And as this is not a bug, but an intentional tweak made by the devs, I assume the current cost is the one they want to have.

As for saving Dilithium... may be well and good for those who have top level crafters. But what about new players, that have to sink hundreds of thousands D into the crafting system to be able to craft a simple XI console? They would have to craft thousands of consoles to make it worth the dilithium spent leveling up!

This makes the crafting system a viable game function for those who are top level crafters, but completely unviable for all new players. And having parts of the game inaccessible to new players hurts the game! (I'm not fronting my own agenda here, as I have both Fed and KDF top level crafters)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koppenflak
But please dont ask for something to be removed, just because you, personally, don't find a use for it.
Well if I can't voice my personal opinion, what opinion should I voice? I've never been elected community representative, and therefor speak my own opinion. And in my opinion the 'new' crafting system makes STO a worse game.
Lt. Commander
# 9 Fleet
12-19-2011, 08:26 AM
We got a 400+ person actvie fleet and no crafts anymore. It is just not worth it..
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dassem_Ultor
As for saving Dilithium... may be well and good for those who have top level crafters. But what about new players, that have to sink hundreds of thousands D into the crafting system to be able to craft a simple XI console? They would have to craft thousands of consoles to make it worth the dilithium spent leveling up!
Except this isn't true. There are plenty of craftable items (schematics and green items with an odd mark number) that have no dilitium costs at all. So you can easily level to the max without spending any dilitium.

Of course, if you don't mind spending dilitium it's still possible to combine crafting and leveling by making rare even-mark gear that you intend to use. This probably won't get you all the way to the crafting cap on it's own but it's a good way to save some dilitium while leveling.