Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 How long can I play?
12-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Hello all,

New player here, very much enjoying the game so far. I found a friend key online as I tried a demo a year ago and wanted to give it another go. This time around I found the tutorial much more interesting and am happily flying around beating up Klingons!

My question is how long will my friend sub account last? I'm happy to lay down some cash to continue this game but I understand it's going free to play on Jan 17th... so should I subscribe a full month now, knowing I'd only get just under a month, or will the friend sub just resume on the basis that it's going free to play anyway?

I'm very confused! Any help / advice is much appreciated

P.S This isn't a money issue. If I need to plough money into this game then so be it, free to play or not!

Best regards,

Bob the Brave
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
12-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Buddy Keys were released in a few different denominations from what I remember. I believe there have been 5, 10 and 14 day codes. Going to the main page and checking under My Account should give you an indication of how long you'll be up and running for.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
Buddy Keys were released in a few different denominations from what I remember. I believe there have been 5, 10 and 14 day codes. Going to the main page and checking under My Account should give you an indication of how long you'll be up and running for.
Hi Happy,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If I look at 'my account' it simply says the words 'friend referral scheme'. No expiration date.... any ideas? Do you think I should sub or just pay C-store points for additional content?

Regards,

Bob the Brave
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllrofwar View Post
Hi Happy,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
It's no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllrofwar View Post
If I look at 'my account' it simply says the words 'friend referral scheme'. No expiration date.... any ideas?
Hmm. You'll probably have to look into it where you got the code. Like I said, they came in different lengths and if your account page doesn't tell you then I doubt there's an alternate way to find out, beyond maybe submitting a support ticket or something.

Keep in mind I think that longer codes were offered later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllrofwar View Post
Do you think I should sub or just pay C-store points for additional content?
Well, I'm a bit disillusioned with the game myself. There's been some fundamental choices made that I vehemently disagree with. That said, I've been here since closed beta and I still find the core gameplay to be fun and enjoy it to this day.

Whether you want to sign up or not is really up to you. You have to ask yourself whether it's worth the fifteen bucks. Of course, you should get a stipend for doing so (400 points for the game store, about a five dollar value) and you would get a jump on prepping your character for when the game is F2P.

So... really, is it worth the fifteen bucks to get that added head start to you? That's what you've got to ask yourself.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappyJoyJoy View Post
It's no problem.



Hmm. You'll probably have to look into it where you got the code. Like I said, they can in different lengths and if your account page doesn't tell you then I doubt there's an alternate way to find out, beyond maybe submitting a support ticket or something.

Keep in mind I think that longer codes were offered later.



Well, I'm a bit disillusioned with the game myself. There's been some fundamental choices made that I vehemently disagree with. That said, I've been here since closed beta and I still find the core gameplay to be fun and enjoy it to this day.

Whether you want to sign up or not is really up to you. You have to ask yourself whether it's worth the fifteen bucks. Of course, you should get a stipend for doing so (400 points for the game store, about a five dollar value) and you would get a jump on prepping your character for when the game is F2P.

So... really, is it worth the fifteen bucks to get that added head start to you? That's what you've got to ask yourself.
Hi Happy,

Thanks yet again for your helpful reply. If you are typical of the community here then I'm very glad to be a part of this game!

I want to sign up, that's not the issue. Are you saying that if I subsrcibed now for the standard monthly sub (which here in the UK is 10.49 or so) I would get 400 cryptic points also?

Thanks again,

Bob the Brave
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Hello Bob The Brave, this is Captain Ebe of the Federation starship Arrowhead

Welcome to the game and the community!

Always good to have more UK players too
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cllrofwar View Post
Hi Happy,

Thanks yet again for your helpful reply. If you are typical of the community here then I'm very glad to be a part of this game!
Well, like any community, online or otherwise, you'll find people you appreciate and some you don't. Like any MMO we have our gold sellers, our trolls and our fanboys, but generally it's more subdued around here than in many MMOs (though some would probably try and argue it :p) and even the detractors tend to be less volatile than you might find elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllrofwar View Post
I want to sign up, that's not the issue. Are you saying that if I subsrcibed now for the standard monthly sub (which here in the UK is 10.49 or so) I would get 400 cryptic points also?
You should get a stipend of 400 Cryptic Points if you subscriber for a month. I believe that you receive it on the monthly anniversary of your subscription though, and not when you sign up. So you'd probably be getting those points around the 18th of January if you signed up today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllrofwar View Post
Thanks again,

Bob the Brave
Hey, happy to help...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
12-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Bob,

I'm in agreement with Happy. If money isn't an issue you should ask yourself if you like the game enough to pay, or do you want to get a jump on the rest of the F2P players that are coming in next month. You should get the 400 C-Points since Cryptic has already started the stipend for subscribed Player, but it may be a month away.

You also need to know that there are a few other differences between a F2P (Silver) account and a paid (Gold) account and they are listed in the F2P matrix because if you decide to not pay the monthly sub to continue after the first month you will have to convert your toon to a Silver account .....

T
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-18-2011, 01:52 PM
If you plan on subscribing, you should remember that you also need to have a copy of the game (which you can buy on the official website for 10). You can't just start paying the sub from a friend trial.

It's also worth pointing out that the Steam Christmas sales are likely to start tomorrow and if STO is discounted, that comes with a 30 day sub, 500 points and a few extras.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-18-2011, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psytce View Post
Bob,

I'm in agreement with Happy. If money isn't an issue you should ask yourself if you like the game enough to pay, or do you want to get a jump on the rest of the F2P players that are coming in next month. You should get the 400 C-Points since Cryptic has already started the stipend for subscribed Player, but it may be a month away.

You also need to know that there are a few other differences between a F2P (Silver) account and a paid (Gold) account and they are listed in the F2P matrix because if you decide to not pay the monthly sub to continue after the first month you will have to convert your toon to a Silver account .....

T
Wow thanks for the matrix, very interestiong read that. Puts me firmly in the paid subscription category
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.