Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Lt. Commander
Unless I missed it there has been no talk about the plasma revamp and nothing in the patch notes apart from the high yield doing 20% more DPS. Changes I noticed
  • Plasa DoT proc has gone from 33% to 100% chance.
  • Plasma DoT proc seems to stacks.
  • Beams no longer have a Plasma DoT, instead 2.5% chance for extra damage.
  • High Yield torp now doing 20% more DPS with Plasma.
  • Transphasic are now even more completely useless as a single Plasma torpedo will do more hull damage when shields are up and more raw damage when shields are down.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-18-2011, 01:35 AM
HY plasma torps are still shootable, making them useless against any good opponent with FAW or a plain old sharp eye and quick response time.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-18-2011, 01:49 AM
But normal Plasma torpedo's now do the highest DPS in game effectively as if my math is right 2636 of the 5891 damage bypass's shields (with skills and gear). Even when shields are down the total damage is almost the same as Quantum. You don't really need high yield just Plasma spread and watch a bunch of weaker ships all die and good damage to a group of strong ships.

In SB24 a single low level Torp spread will kill a whole group of fighters as torp spread boosts DoT damage with 100% chance to trigger.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-18-2011, 02:06 AM
DPS isn't really a useful measure of a torpedo's effectiveness. Since most ships can't just fire off a torpedo consistently as the cooldown finishes, due to them and the target constantly moving, it's often more effective to do as much possible damage in a single shot. Hence why quantums and tricobalt are still king.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-18-2011, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsey
But normal Plasma torpedo's now do the highest DPS in game effectively as if my math is right 2636 of the 5891 damage bypass's shields (with skills and gear). Even when shields are down the total damage is almost the same as Quantum. You don't really need high yield just Plasma spread and watch a bunch of weaker ships all die and good damage to a group of strong ships.

In SB24 a single low level Torp spread will kill a whole group of fighters as torp spread boosts DoT damage with 100% chance to trigger.
What DOES NOT kill a whole group of fighters you mean?
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
What else kills a group of fighters in a single shot?(Apart from Tribolt) I am talking about one torpedo firing to kill a group of ships with shields up.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-18-2011, 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten-Nemesis View Post
DPS isn't really a useful measure of a torpedo's effectiveness. Since most ships can't just fire off a torpedo consistently as the cooldown finishes, due to them and the target constantly moving, it's often more effective to do as much possible damage in a single shot. Hence why quantums and tricobalt are still king.
But the new plasma match quantum's in a single shot for damage. I do not have time to log in right now but it was something like 5891 for plasma and 5897 for quantums. Only plasma works out better as much more bypass's shields. Plasma will do something like x3 more damage against a shielded target and match quantums against no shields.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie

What else kills a group of fighters in a single shot?(Apart from Tribolt) I am talking about one torpedo firing to kill a group of ships with shields up.
Quote:
then dont write "spread" in your comment! Even spread one, with photons takes out a grp of fighters, period.

Quote:
But the new plasma match quantum's in a single shot for damage. I do not have time to log in right now but it was something like 5891 for plasma and 5897 for quantums. Only plasma works out better as much more bypass's shields. Plasma will do something like x3 more damage against a shielded target and match quantums against no shields.
and highest dps with plasma? What now! First you write that 2600 of the 5891are dot, 2 paragraphs down its allready the impact damage without shields. Well my plasma torpedos only hit with about 3-4k dmg on unshielded targets. (i have no console that amplifies plasma torpedo dmg, but maxed projectile skills) can u counter the dot? yes! Does everyone have a hazzard emitters? yes, because of the borg shield neutralizer. Is it burst dmg? No, plenty of time to react to a plasma Dot. While i think your first set of numbers is correct, it still leaves them with low burst dmg and low spike dmg.

Plasma energy weapons got revamped, because the duration of the dot was too long. so they changed it to a dmg proc. Why? The Proc triggers on the target, and after the 3 tick the target dies. Even cubes or spheres die before the last tick of the plasma fire proc. So that is just fair to adjust to be competable with all other energy weapons.

To what it boils down in my opinion: Photons and quants have highest DPS against unshielded targets. Transphasic have highest spikes and bleedthrough against shielded targets. Plasma have low spikes, but high sustained and purgeable dmg against shielded and unshielded targets.
Tricobalds have the highest BOOM! and AoE, but are slow, targetable and high recharg.
Chronitons are out of the discussion, because of their slow ability which just comes with a lower dmg output to balance that.
Hargh'peng is a class of its own, and hard to compare: nice splash on impact, dot, high spikes. actually the best torpedo ingame, only that it comes without BOFF modifier gives it bitter taste. Still best choice for ships that cannot use spread or HY. (also love their insane velocity)

PS: The 20% dmg boost was only for the HY version. Does only limited Aoe (as do all spreaded torpedos), not like the 2km Tricobald or the hargh'peng.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
hmm, just looked myself and im not sure what to think. the purple mk XI plasma torp i looked at deals 2362 damage and has what looks like an automatic +650 additional plasma damage over 10 seconds for a total of 3012 damage.

looked at a purple mk XI photon and it deals 3011 damage per hit. so after 10 seconds a plasma hit will be as good as a photon hit, but with how the game works not really, and photons have a shorter reload. for a basic plasma torp to be any good its initial damage and its over 10 second damage would have to be higher then a quantum torpedo hit imo. but is the shield bleed damage plus the DOT on the plasma torp better then at least quantum or even transphasic's shield bleed? good question.

the basic plasma torp should be made better, so what if HY turns it into a heavy plasma, the standard plasma shouldn't suck as a result. its sad that cronotons torps deal even more damage a hit then plasma torps.

plasma energy weapons are now kinda interesting. as mk increases there is a 2.5% proc chance to deal extra plasma damage, at mk XI its +12 damage. there's only a 2.5% chance you will get that extra damage though, so it might not make that much of a difference. i noticed the [DAM] modifier does increase the proc bonus plasma damage ever so, so i was curious what equipping one might do. i equipped a white mk X array i bought and it bonus proc damage went up to +16, if energy weapon damage skill points improve proc damage then plasma tactical consoles would too. might be worth fully kitting out and seeing what numbers you end up with.

undoubtedly disruptor's debuff will still be better at hurting your target though. how long did the disruptor proc last before? it says it lasts 15 seconds now, didn't think it was that long, thought it was 5 seconds. 15 seconds is a damn eternity, thats a huge window of opportunity

i think tetryon might have changed too, but i have to kind off face-palm at it. it has a 2.5% chance to deal -162 to shields, no mater what mk or type of the weapon it is. that's right, a mk VI and a mk XI will both deal -162 damage, there is no scaling based on MK. so they are infinitely better at low tiers i guess, hope that's just an over sight because the bonus plasma damage level scales at least.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-19-2011, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
but is the shield bleed damage plus the DOT on the plasma torp better then at least quantum or even transphasic's shield bleed? good question.
During my testing I did around 2% hull damage per quantum hit, 4% hull per transphasic's hit and 6% hull per Plasma hit, all hitting the same NPC ship when shields are up. I also did a timed test with just 1 torpedo on auto fire and the Plasma killed well over x3 faster then transphasic's or quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudl View Post
then dont write "spread" in your comment! Even spread one, with photons takes out a grp of fighters, period. and highest dps with plasma? What now! First you write that 2600 of the 5891are dot, 2 paragraphs down its allready the impact damage without shields. .
Never seen that before as the shields just absorbed 75% of the Photon damage. What I wrote was 2600 damage bypass's shields. DoT +Bleedthough.Yes you can counter the DoT but its rarely countered and the extra damage you get though to hull when shields are up is why I find Plasma outperformed quantum in DPS in both PvP and PvE. PvP is only a tiny part of the game and in boss fights I can get the boss down to 50% or less hull before shields drop.