Lt. Commander
So it seems to me that with the new Season 5, the devs have taken the storyline totally out of the STF missions.

It used to be that you progressed from one stage to another, and now, we have only two stages, ground and space, and I can never proceed through ground to the other levels.

Am I missing something? How do I play the story for kitomer accords.

Please devs put the story back into the missions, that is the whole reason I play. If you must put the STF in a cue, then put more than just space and ground, bring the story back to STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I totally agree. There should be an opener and a closer, or a prologue and epilogue, whatever. A reason why we're doing this, and a 'what do we do now' when it's over, so there can be some semblance of a storyline should we choose to play them in order.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-10-2011, 10:53 PM
The story elements of the STFs are still there, it's just that the stories aren't all that great, and the recent changes have only given players less reason to read the text. I've probably run 30+ ground STFs and over 150 space STFs and I've got to say, KA Space is probably the worse designed of them all.

The objective is to keep borg probes from going through a time portal to the past. So we have to blow up a time portal, right? Nope. We have to blow up a bunch of redundant things, so we can blow up some more redundant things, so we can blow up two gates which the borg are using to get to where the time portal is located.

So remind me, why can't we just blow up the time gate? Oh yeah, because it's non-destructible. Once we finish the mission, we grab our glowing loot containers and exit the area, leaving the time portal to the past completely intact and functioning. It makes perfect sense!

If you came to STO for the episodic mission stories, you're going to find that with any critical thought at all, most of them would never have been made into actual Star Trek episodes. They're simply too paradoxical to be considered "good stories", and with good reason: The people that wrote the story for these missions are not writers, they're game developers. They didn't go to school to learn the craft of story-telling, they went to school (or not) to learn game design.

If STO wants to try to compete with more story-oriented MMOs in the future, they're going to have to hire an actual writer or writers. But I honestly don't think that's their focus. Cryptic has a history of making games that are marketed to the A.D.H.D. crowd; visceral game-play that is fast-paced and full of action, which is great for the superhero genre, but has never really been part of Star Trek (unless you count the last few movies, which I don't).
Cryptic would make an awesome StarGate game, but Star Trek... It's fun, but not because of the story content.

Considering how many times the STFs have been fiddled with and changed, I doubt we'll be seeing any changes made to them in the near future. Odds are the story of the STFs are simply going to be lost on the players participating.

I'd really like to see what's going to happen when they release Into the Hive. If players are lost on what's going on in STFs that previously existed, how well is a brand new STF story going to translate into this new queue system?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-10-2011, 11:52 PM
By the time you get to read it, the stf will be over. look in your logs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-11-2011, 12:23 AM
The storyline is not the only thing lost .
The length of the missions also took away the PUG camaraderie .
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-11-2011, 01:37 AM
i dont know the story of the cure, can someone tell that story? as a bedtime story? please?
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-17-2011, 02:22 PM
So if we all enjoy stories, then some with more clout than I should strongly suggest reinserting the story lines.

At least with KA, didn't they eliminate some of the maps when they brought it to STF space and ground?? What kind of reasoning is that??

The only reason I play STO is for the story line. It is unfortunate that story line is one of the first things to go. I may not be playing much after this.
Lt. Commander
# 8 two parts ok but how to play
12-18-2011, 05:17 AM
I think the the separation of the two parts ground and space is ok because you can complete all parts at differnt times. My Problme is that i can't spent so much time on STO as i want.
My Prob is i droped Khitomer Accord wehn i played the first part of space and completed it because after this i only could warp back to sector space and then i could continue the seond part but only alone.
I wasn't longer in a team.
I thought ok it's a bug. I droped it and thought i can get it back again, but i couldn't. Its not longer listed. Can someone tell me what i do wrong and how the stf should work?
why must they ever reinventing the wheel???
please help, i don't understand anything...
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Storyline is for roleplayers. You know, the people that stick around in a game long after it has become stale and continue to pay the bills that keep the lights on till they close the doors. The same people who get ignored because raiders and PvPers are louder.

I was mildly impressed when they upgraded some of the starter missions to be more, story like. But I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop and them to completely just remove all semblance of story from the game all together to free up space for more raids and PvPs.
Lt. Commander
ok i hope i have undestood what you mean. correct me if I'm wrong.
You mean they break down the storyline for more PvP and raids.
hm k i'm litlle bit more a roleplayer but it was a roleplayer game and what is the problem not to do both?
i think this is not a problem of loudness.
they have changed their idea what STO should be for the players but what makes them sure that is the right way?
with those steps you can loose many player who loved this game how it was . including me. (excluding the bugs and some other points)
I am no longer willing to pay for a game if not even acted in my interests.