Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 21
12-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
Due to the addictive properties many pheromones possess, the orientation of those affected is most likely a mute point.
The question isn't whether or not the pheromones will affect them, it's *how* they would affect them. Would they urge the person to mate, or just build on the feelings they already have? A biologist who studies pheromones all his life probably couldn't answer that question at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hort_wort View Post
The question isn't whether or not the pheromones will affect them, it's *how* they would affect them. Would they urge the person to mate, or just build on the feelings they already have? A biologist who studies pheromones all his life probably couldn't answer that question at this point.
While the effects would be difficult to predict, due both to a lack of knowledge of the overall pheromone phenomenon but also due to the fact that we are dealing with a fictitious variety with numerous unknown aspects.

However, many pheromones have shown themselves to have addictive qualities due to dopamine boosting qualities, etc. Assuming that the primary affect is an addictive affect, the orientation would not matter. To put it most simply, once exposed, a person would feel great near the Orion and like crap when separated.

Cupid's Chemistry

Pheromones Boost Dopamine
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Quote:
To put it most simply, once exposed, a person would feel great near the Orion and like crap when separated.
I'd say that's putting it simply. You entirely neglected the idea that pheromones affect girls differently than boys, otherwise everyone would be attracted to everyone.

You should be looking at studies about homosexual vs heterosexual pheromone response. But even these are preliminary studies coming out in the last few years. Like I said, no one could answer this question with confidence.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Quote:
I'd say that's putting it simply. You entirely neglected the idea that pheromones affect girls differently than boys, otherwise everyone would be attracted to everyone.

You should be looking at studies about homosexual vs heterosexual pheromone response. But even these are preliminary studies coming out in the last few years. Like I said, no one could answer this question with confidence.
As depicted in the show, it appeared to be more addictive than sexual.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Quote:
As depicted in the show, it appeared to be more addictive than sexual.
Orion pheremones were however also specificly intended to drive away Females.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Quote:

Thanke you for that link
I was going to direct this thread to one of the published studies on the Preferences of hormones in the sweat glands as it pertains to Homosexuals and Heterosexuals the first day of this thread, but my blood started to boil and i dont like to get my heart rate up about things i cant do anything about.

None the less here is one, not the best but as a person who studies Human Sexuality this one is not bad

http://www.ehow.com/info_8206153_hum...heromones.html

Like you said, no one can answer the question confidently, but ask a Gay man and I bet he will tell you that if there is no base attraction in the first place the pheromones will likely just be an annoying smell
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCat
Thanke you for that link
I was going to direct this thread to one of the published studies on the Preferences of hormones in the sweat glands as it pertains to Homosexuals and Heterosexuals the first day of this thread, but my blood started to boil and i dont like to get my heart rate up about things i cant do anything about.
Yep, I understand what you mean. I was avoiding this thread at first, too. Then I thought that if I could convince just one person to look on homosexuality as something to be appreciated for what it could be instead of something undesirable, then it would be worth all the aggravation.

I know homosexuals of both gender. They've mostly gone through hell to come to terms with it. I don't want them to be looked upon as victims or bad people their whole lives after all that.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-28-2011, 11:05 AM
The point I was trying to make was that whatever the means by which Orion pheromones do what they do, it is clear they go beyond the strength of preferences usually held by an individual. Their affects upon humans have been shown to be capable of pushing somebody far beyond the rational. This does not happen in cases of simple attraction, this is far beyond that.

Yet again, we are dealing with a fictional substance whose characteristics cannot be tested or validated, all we have is on screen portrayals and various suppositions as to the nature of Orion pheromones. As such they can act pretty much anyway the author decided was the way it would act.
Ensign
# 29 I wanted to share my thouts.
06-23-2014, 07:04 PM
I'm a Lesbian in real life and never bin with a guy or care too and can saftly say this.

It's not a choise I believe the Orion Females Pheromones would work on Lesbians and wouldn't on gays.

It would make gay guys have a headack and Lesbians to be very much attracted to the Orion Female.

I Don't believe Nature instints to reproduce would kick in Specialy when coming from my self who dosnt want children and if I was the last person with 1 guy in the world I would rather see humaninty die out then sleep with him to produce and if he tried any thing I would kill him to make sure of it...
Ok not kill him but I would go far to the opasite side of the world for sure if I could.

I Think The Fact is The only reason it hanst effect any one on the show is cause The ship simple didn't have any gays or Lesbians

And the hole reproducing has nothing to do with the Pheromones Cause the Vulcans would be effect as well sense they have a time where they are filled with a season of breeding in away if u watch the origal seroises with spock.
The only reason it dosnt effect them is cause there decates of Will power to be immunse to there emotions.

I belive the Pheromones Just inhance Males/ Lesbians to have there attraction feelings hightin to the point they lose there will to resist the Orion Females will.

As far as some one said as the Orion males creating a med to be immune Its probble impossible due to there biology they could rely on the Females Pheromones for survival like a bee that relys on a flour for pullen.

So maybe the male Orion's need the Females to give Pheromones to stablise the males emotions if they didn't the males would go on a freenz and kill each other in rages and each female orion Pheromone has its own DNA to make it work so it cant be made into meds or some thing.

Any ways I believe the 2nd option is currect Males would naturely be effect unless they where Gay and Lesbians would be too but straight Females would not be but get head acts and upset.

Last edited by natasha2525; 06-23-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Captain
# 30
06-23-2014, 07:12 PM
A: We don't care which direction you swing in real life.

B: HOLY NECRO BATMAN!
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Closed Thread