Lt. Commander
We have all done them, we have all been insta killed by cubes, gates, spheres....now i am all up for a hard challenge but when there is no chance in hell of having a no death elite STF even with great teamwork somethings wrong, going from 100% shields & 100% hull strength and just getting nuked down is just plain NOT fun, STO provides no gear in the game to dampen the same results every time, it get's expensive buying repair components (sometime using up to 40 a match) and critical damage can cost you the match if you don't have an ample supply of critical repair components, the length of the matches are not too bad but dying constantly over and over again with no possible way of staying alive is just plain NOT fun, now gear stats are incredibly out of balance, damage is average on borg items, but defense is so far off it's mindblowing, and Engines you don't want to even get me started, stats on gear are very poorly put together, a good example below.

Antiproton mag (Rare) XI +26 damage
Antiproton mag (Green Uncommon) XII +26 damage (green XII is 2 stages higher then a blue XI and damage is the same and drop rate for the XII version is almost never ) as Spock would say "Where's the Logic" The game is LOADED with these kind of problems

Engines LOL nuff said (Stats don't change within 10 lvl increments) REALLY cryptic??
Shields within 5 levels are almost nearly all the same granted a 200 point increase to maximum shield strength is pretty pathetic just like everything else in regards to gear.

People/Players work there butts off to obtain gear that does nothing for them in the higher levels when it comes to elite gameplay, almost like it was an after thought and throw in without any real Q&A, being half the pug groups that players experience are absolute morons (I don't use pug's too often anymore)

Today a friend and I built a group of players we know and have played with several times to see if we could ace an Elite STF, yes we did beat it (The Cure) about 30 deaths,but no way could we get the Optional objective completed due to running out of time, it's just way way out of balance, the best gear in game does absolutely nothing for you when you're taking 50k to 120k hits, it's absurd and not fun at all.

Im not asking for an easy button or a major nerf bat but gear REALLY needs to be sorted threw and balanced, defensive gear mainly, and engines, and shield, and abilitys, it's awesome when a cruiser class with 38000 hitpoints can only train a heal ability to lvl 1 and receive a 900 point heal lol but can't level the skill up anymore cause the station will not allow for it, some of the stuff we find in game is so laughable it makes us think we are dealing with amateur developers who rushed threw the items in the game and never reached Q & A

Ground combat HAHAHAHAHA lolololololololololololol horrendous and should be taken out of the game as it will cause any possible new comers to cancel there subs instantly. I was sick of dying to the invisible 100K nuke in STF's so i decided to come here and post my thoughts.....I do love space combat though, but it really REALLY needs some tender loving care on the equipment, i just hope perfect world hooks us up soon.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOSTVO View Post
Today a friend and I built a group of players we know and have played with several times to see if we could ace an Elite STF, yes we did beat it (The Cure) about 30 deaths,but no way could we get the Optional objective completed due to running out of time, it's just way way out of balance, the best gear in game does absolutely nothing for you when you're taking 50k to 120k hits, it's absurd and not fun at all.
The Elite STFs are really not worth the effort, they take much longer than the normal versions, cost a fortune in regenerators and rank somewhere amongst a date with Attila the Hun in terms of enjoyment. I was going to grind them out for the Mk XII gear but I'll give that a miss and stick with the Mk XI instead, it'll cost me less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOSTVO
Antiproton mag (Rare) XI +26 damage
Antiproton mag (Green Uncommon) XII +26 damage (green XII is 2 stages higher then a blue XI and damage is the same and drop rate for the XII version is almost never ) as Spock would say "Where's the Logic" The game is LOADED with these kind of problems
An uncommon console grants the same buff as a rare console of the rank below, not just for AP Mag Regulators but for any console. It appears the bonus is the same because you gain a small buff for the increased Mk but lose some of the rarity bonus levelling the buff.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Yeah, the Elite STFs are a bad joke - I expect to die a few times but the one-shotting is horrendous.

Another issue I have with the STFs is the Rare Borg Salvage - why can't we use it the same way we can use EDCs to buy Veteran Special Reserve gear? Why is it only of use for standard (i.e. crap) gear? Particularly as a) they're harder than EDCs to get and b) for standard gear 1 x Salvage = 5 x EDC.

It'd take a little of the grind out of getting the Mk XI Special Reserve gear (which isn't that great anyway - the Borg set's still better).
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Anyone noticed that the more kinetic resist you apply, the bigger the damage from the shots get? its not supposed to work that way.

Normal Cube shots are around 50-80K but as soon as you use Brace for Impact, Aux2sif, Omega, etc everything that gives u Kinetic resist, will increase the damage from the Torps significantly, 200K+ torp shots from cube.

How I noticed it? If normal Cube shots do 75K hits, Brace for impact does like 150+ Resistance meaning the 75K hit effect should be weakened at LEAST to half its strength, meaning it should never be supposed to one shot you if your shields are full and hull as well.

I believe something is wrong in the maths here Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOSTVO View Post
we have all been insta killed by cubes, gates, spheres....now i am all up for a hard challenge but when there is no chance in hell of having a no death elite STF even with great teamwork somethings wrong
Yes and ... no .
In space , we only got insta-killed by Tac cubes (and now Donatra ) , but guess what , it was like that before Season 5 .
Pre Season 5 torp spread from Tac cube = insta death . Loads of fun for the kids .
Also now , if your shields go down , you do have a chance to get insta killed .

On ground , there are these things called corners .
You peek out from behind them , unload both your weapons , and go hide behind them again to remodulate/heal .

BTW , I loved your complaint that you can't do an Elite mission without any death . Sadly , it was hilarious .

Quote:
100% shields & 100% hull strength and just getting nuked down is just plain NOT fun,
I agree that sometimes it's not fun , but it's part of the Elite gaming .
Having a WHOLE GAME that you can waltz through pretty much without dying has given you (and many others) bad expectations -- in your case , you do not want the God-Weapon , but the God-Shield -- something that will protect you forever and ever and ever .

Now if we were to talk about the way Elite Gear is earned in game , I'd be there to complain about that BS .
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfader1988
Anyone noticed that the more kinetic resist you apply, the bigger the damage from the shots get? its not supposed to work that way.

Normal Cube shots are around 50-80K but as soon as you use Brace for Impact, Aux2sif, Omega, etc everything that gives u Kinetic resist, will increase the damage from the Torps significantly, 200K+ torp shots from cube.

How I noticed it? If normal Cube shots do 75K hits, Brace for impact does like 150+ Resistance meaning the 75K hit effect should be weakened at LEAST to half its strength, meaning it should never be supposed to one shot you if your shields are full and hull as well.

I believe something is wrong in the maths here Cryptic.
That could be a sign of the formula messing up and, after hitting a certain number, is accidentally turning to negative and thus making you TAKE more damage.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-18-2011, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post
Having a WHOLE GAME that you can waltz through pretty much without dying has given you (and many others) bad expectations -- in your case , you do not want the God-Weapon , but the God-Shield -- something that will protect you forever and ever and ever .

Now if we were to talk about the way Elite Gear is earned in game , I'd be there to complain about that BS .
I don't agree with all of his complaints, and for the most part I enjoy playing on Elite (especially on the ground) but the one shots are just not fun. I don't mind dying if I died because I suck or just fired off a heal too slowly (or even if the UI just didn't bother to respond in time like it usually does) but when I can be rolling along with 75% shields and full hull a basic, non HY and non crit torpedo one shotting me is just not fun (can you tell I use a Hegh'ta?) as there's nothing that I can do about it.

Just like most of the PvE in this game the NPCs have been given massive kinetic damage yet there energy weapons are a joke, instead of one shotting me force me to use heals and rotate resistance granting skills by hitting me with a constant barrage of energy weapons fire that will wear me down; the shield drains are just really annoying, especially since they're combined with insanely powerful kinetic weapons.
As much as I hate being hit by a crit Plasma DoT at least I can deal with these, even with the HE on cooldown by using hull resist skills to buy time or even to get a spare heal from someone who's not using it at that time, a one shot doesn't give me that option so just annoys instead.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-18-2011, 04:20 AM
I think the problem is that these one shot kills are really artificial difficulty. If you compare the stf borg vs. borg every where else the ships are about 5 times stronger. Even in the Orellius sector borg invasion where all the ships are +2 in level just like the stf the V'ger ship at the end only has 1.1 million. the tac cube has between 300000 - 400000 hp where the same tac cube level for level has about 1.7 million hp. In comparison it is like a Lt in a pvp against a va.

These one shot kills started happening around s4 when they rebalanced the game and gave us more damage to our weapons and took away our health. That was about the time I started feeling a bit cheapened by the whole experience and started dieing more often. it did speed up combat but dieing all the time just shows that this method of artificial difficulty has reached a point where they need to consider another rebalanced of the entire game or at the very least these stfs.

Sad is when you are trying to defend the IKS Kang and it still has 87% health and one shot later you fail the mission because because it blew up causing the mission to fail.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-18-2011, 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelfwin View Post

I'm sorry but no. Enemies that oneshot you without you having a single way of avoiding or resisting the damage is just plain horrible game design. It's not difficult, it's not challenging. It's just plain stupid and not fun at all.

Whether a player is a good player shouldn't be determined by the amount of Regenerators/Components he/she can afford. That's insane troll logic.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-18-2011, 05:58 AM
Ideally you'd be able to spend EDCs on new Borg Standard gear such as ship armours with a [borg] mod.