Lt. Commander
# 21
12-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
Sounds like what happened with EVE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eve_onl...per_misconduct
No... it really isn't the same at all. I played EvE at the time. That involved blueprints being given to BoB, which in turn allowed them to produce items and ships that gave their 'corp' an unfair advantage while in direct conflict (ie. open pvp) against other corps. Being that EvE involves corporate territory control, which can quite literally restrict other people's access to large portions of the game, it caused a scandal.

In contrast, here in STO, some guy the devs like might have been given a single ship that provides no practical advantage over any other, nor affects any other players ability to access parts of the game map..

Hardly the same thing..
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I have no problem at all with Chris being given a ship, so long as that ship came from a grab bag which operated under the same chances as every other grab bag, not some kind of Dev magic. The whole reason they made them tradeable was so that you could give them to other people(or sell them), so if someone bought a grab bag and opened it up and got a ship and decided to give it to Chris that is completely fine. Dev magic on the other hand is different.

Agreed, something would be very wrong if he was given the ship via dev magic.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxac3 View Post
Suggesting that Jman or anyone else at Cryptic flat out gave Chris a ship (based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever) is borderline libel
No. In fact, it's not even close.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-20-2011, 09:05 AM
This thread reeks of jealousy.
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
for all those complaining: aww would you like me to hold your hand? seriously who gives a FF. If you want to spend tons of money to get a ship thats your prerogative. IF Chris was given it by someone from Cryptic, who cares. The time and money he has inputted into STOked, is worth much more than one little ship.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-20-2011, 09:32 AM
No, I dont know if it's true and honestly I really don't care, I wouldnt change anything for my gamming.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Company gifts. If it was signed off on and not under the table then there is absolutely nothing wrong about it.

Just don't get the hump up and you'll be fine.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxac3 View Post
Really? Now we're turning this into a conspiracy? Suggesting that Jman or anyone else at Cryptic flat out gave Chris a ship (based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever) is borderline libel and extremely disappointing. There's no reason to doubt Chris's word that he got a landslide of gifts from his fleet and his fans.

I'm saddened by this line of thinking and the petty jealousy over this ship. Don't ruin a nice thing for him.
I agree. This is the holidays guys, please.

This is so sad and messed up.

I am happy for those that got the bug ships! Make it cool to see different ships flying around.

(i do not have the bug ship)
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
I'm actually ok with Dev magic too as long as it was not some sort of mass gifting to a whole fleet. *That* would tick me off something frightful.

As I said, if I were a dev and had a close friend who ran a podcast I'd give him a special ship under similar circumstances.
Heck I'd give special things to close friends or struggling new players from time to time period just to be nice.
And thats certainly your right to do so. However if you do you should either keep it between you and them or accept that your other customers wont like seeing obvious favoritism. Just because you can do something doesnt always mean its a good idea.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-20-2011, 09:44 AM
My suspicion is that every dev was given a couple of these to do with as they saw fit. We know podcast UGC got one from Geko.

Personally, I think it seems a wee bit self-centered that Chris cashed his in if he did get one as a podcaster, as I think the contest giveaway route is more in keeping with the spirit of that... But that's semantics.

I suspect these are gifts from devs, who were given a few ships on their non-work accounts to do with as they saw fit. So it's not Cryptic giving these to podcasters per se but devs giving these to friends who happen to be podcasters.